It's quite clearly all wrong!

Hello,

I am very picky! You could call me 'anal', 'anorak', obsessive, compulsive, disorderly (in many ways), but I have to point this out.

After every full stop, there shall be two spaces (unless it's at the end of a paragraph of course). Why does this forum remove my second space? In fact, ALL forums do this and it's very disturbing. Are they just evil? What sun-sign would govern forums? Obviously not Virgo, else they would be perfect, like my spacing was before it got here.

Thank you for your attention.
Susan,
Edinburgh.
www.horaryqueen.co.uk

Forums might be evil. I don't really know. I do know some of their webmasters are. :lol: But the accepted form now is one space after the full stop. I'm not sure when this changed but it did. I learned this at a workshop when I worked as a publications officer. It took me awhile to get out of the habit because it is such an automatic thing.

But the accepted form now is one space after the full stop. I'm not sure when this changed but it did.

The Computer's done it! I believe the practice was changed in order to conserve, at the time, valuable bits or bytes or whatever. Even blank spaces take up space on the hard drive or wherever these masterpieces are stored. By eliminating one space after each sentence the computer uses less valuable storage and/or memory. Back in the days when floppy disks were really floppy and hard drives hadn't been invented, this was quite a savings of space. With today's huge storage it doesn't seem to matter, but it might on a server where billions of bytes are stored. I like two spaces after each stop and continue to do it regardless of what my computer or any website thinks is correct.

Yours In Righteousness,

Tom

Hi,

Thanks for taking this matter seriously. Most of my so-called friends just laugh at me, but they are the insensitive Aquarian types.

I didn't know this had changed. They didn't ask me if they could change it. If they had I would have said no and I would have started a revolution about it. This is so unfair - it just doesn't look right. Surely two words should not have the same space between them as two sentences. This is tragic news for me - a bad day for the Virgo.

Regarding your argument about saving space. Does that mean that all the evilness in the world caused by people who :-cry put extra :-cry :-cry spaces in :-cry BEFORE :-cry things like semi-colons and commas etc. will be eliminated :lol: ? Oh what a lovely thought - that would definitely compensate. Except , I rather fancy that it's just not true ; because look at this !
Susan,
Edinburgh.
www.horaryqueen.co.uk

I actually never noticed that it changed. I don't believe that it changed to conserve space, the days of saving every possible computer bit was gone long before forums became popular, nowadays very few computer techies even know what conserving space means.

I am a computer nerd, a webmaster, an editor, and a Scorpio. Everything has to be perfect. My forum will allow, and I want, two spaces after a period, in fact I insist on correct grammar and spelling and paragraph breaks and none of the chat-room style writing.

Actually my Natal Sun is at 29:43 Libra, but I have all the traits of a Scorpio.