AP - Translation of Lillys text in Annus Tenebrosus

11 Sept 2003

Pete Phoenix:

Hi,
over on alt.astrology.tropical we're engaged in a discussion about the meaning behind Lilly's aphorisms in his "Annus Tenebrosus", as shown at Lee Lehman's site at:

http://www.leelehman.com/pages/tenebrosus.html

At the moment we're particularly stumped by the wording in aphorism #2, which reads:

2. "Divers effects of the Starrs are drawn forth of the Starrs, according to
the various dispositions of the matter: whereof the Astrologer ought very
well to examine the severall natures and qualityes of the Subjects
receiving."

I have my own ideas about what that means, but others on the ng aren't in complete agreement ( and why should they be? ),as the wording is so strange; so I was wondering if anyone here could shed more light on the translation of this and the other aphorisms?

TIA...
--
Pete

----------------------

Deb:

Hi Pete,

I?ll chip in to your debate then.
If I were translating Lilly for the purposes of making that statement less ambiguous I would rewrite it as:

2. "Diverse effects of the Stars are drawn forth, according to
the various dispositions of the matter under study: whereof the Astrologer ought very well to examine the differing natures and qualities of the planets receiving their influence?

This is my interpretation based on the fact that Lilly used the term ?receiving? to mean receiving an influence, such as by aspect, as well as receiving a planet into its own dignities. In that sense I think the statement is quite clear in saying that judging the influence of the stars should take into account the overall nature of the chart and the modifying influence of the planet they are acting through. So a star such as Spica, for example, which is attributed a Venus/Mars nature, will offer a very different influence when in contact with Venus, than it will with Mars. Also, and I think this is quite an important point that is not often raised, the dignity and strength of the planet in contact with the star will temper its effect, so we might expect a much more beneficial influence of Spica, at 23 Libra, when it is in conjunction with Venus, dignified in Libra, than when it is in conjunction with Mars, which is in detriment in that sign.

If anyone wants to follow the discussion in the forum, the link is http://groups.google.com/groups?q=alt.a ... gle+Search

-----------------------

Pete:

Thanks Deb, your reasoning is similar to mine, but you've expanded on it somewhat, and I'm grateful.