Jo?o, skyPlux is great and I use it quite a bit. You asked about features, and if there were one thing I might wish for in skyPlux, it would be an automated coordinate/time zone function. I feel like an ingrate for saying that, since skyPlux fills very specific needs for traditional astrologers at no cost to us! And it might be just too big a job to add on such a database; maybe there would be licensing issues associated with that, as well.

There are plenty of web-based programs that offer modern options, so the fact that skyPlux is intended for traditional astrologers is a big plus for me. I think Majid is right in saying that a writeup of the program in a publication like The Mountain Astrologer might be a help.

There just aren't that many traditional astrologers out there, comparatively speaking - I think that's why you don't see a steadily growing number of users. You've really done something wonderful in creating skyPlux and making it available to all of us, it's a creation you can be very proud of.

Hi Majid and Astraea,

thanks for your answers. Yes, maybe a bit of "publicity" and more features are what is still missing for skyPlux to "grow".

Astraea's suggestion about timezones is on the to-do list, but my big doubt is about the technology, ie, I don't know if users like this web-based kind of applications or if they would prefer an offline application?! The frameworks for web-based and desktop applications are different, and as I am just one person writing the software (with a lot of other work on my hands), I can only follow one route (web-based vs desktop-based)

The biggest reasons for being web-based is faster updates to the software, and no installation for the users (and they can run the software even on mobile phones), but I don't know how important this is to users.. What are your thought on this?

Many thanks,
Jo?o Ventura

I was reluctant to use a web based software at first but now having used it and also being a dual OS user (Linux & Windows) with friends with a MAC system I can see its value. I can also access it in my local library if my machine is down. So maybe this would be an advantage for you to sell to the public. You can sell the Lilly aspect of it as well. Not many people have read the 3rd volume of Lilly and even fewer use all of his Directions. You have them in a nutshell. I like the fact that you have Temperament and the Mental aspects in the software as well. Even if I go back and forth between OS and between Jyotish and Traditional Western I like having your software available and the price is right. By the way maybe get somebody to ad sponsor your site as well if you can.
Majid Buell
Join the stream of Universal Life!

jventura wrote:...my big doubt is about the technology, ie, I don't know if users like this web-based kind of applications or if they would prefer an offline application?!
One of the many reasons I like skyPlux so much is that it is web-based. It's there when I need it, handy and accurate and it gives me information that no other program contains, in a format that is visually pleasing and condensed. Like Majid, I use both Windows and Mac platforms, and with skyPlux I am not limited to whichever I'm using at any given moment. SkyPlux can be accessed on the fly and provides information that - as Majid says - is not easily found, but there in a nutshell on skyPlux. It's a great boon.

I think that Majid's promotional suggestions are excellent.

Hi everyone,

long time since I've written here last time. However, I have been actively implementing the next version of skyPlux - skyPlux Desktop - which is skyPlux oriented to desktop computers.

skyPlux desktop will run on every major operating system (Linux, Windows and Mac OS), and versions for Android and iOS will follow. However, I'm planing to turn skyPlux into a commercial product, so this means that the desktop version won't be released "in the wild" as the web version, although I don't know how it will be done yet!

My idea is to have two versions: a basic version and a professional version. The basic version will be free, but will have less features than the professional version. The professional version will be attractively priced (way bellow other software out there), and will have free automatic updates (patches, bug corrections, new versions, etc.). Both will have internet support (like the updates, data and settings backups, sharable data for investigation, among others).

I've uploaded some screenshots of current version to skyPlux website (www.skyplux.com):
However, I will be needind beta-testers, if someone is willing to test the software. I will post here a more "formal" request when I have the software ready for distribution. My idea is to reward beta-testers with access to the professional version when the commercial version releases..

Thanks,
Jo?o Ventura

Jo?o, major congratulations to you! This is really wonderful news. My system is old (G4 PowerBook running OS X 10.4) and Apple isn't supporting it any longer, so I have constant screen crashes and problems with graphics and Javascript, etc. You'll need a more consistent beta tester than I could be, and I'm so glad that Majid will be helping you - I feel sure that several others will, as well. Best wishes with this project!

Hi Majid and Astraea,

thanks for your availability for beta testing skyPlux desktop. :)

Astraea, in a previous post, you mentioned that you have also a computer with Windows. If so, you can also beta test the software. The more people testing the software and possibly giving suggestions to improve it, the better!

Currently, only Mac users won't be able to use the software, because I still don't have access to a Mac to compile the application. But if there are any Mac users willing to try/use the software, please say so, and I'll try to "cook" something for Mac computers.. 8)

I'll inform here when skyPlux desktop is ready for testing! :D

Thanks,
Jo?o Ventura

jventura wrote: Astraea, in a previous post, you mentioned that you have also a computer with Windows. If so, you can also beta test the software.
Yes, I have a Dell laptop that is out of commission right now. If that changes, or I get a new one, I will definitely contact you!