Herschel Table

You may have heard of the so-called "Herschel-Table", written and published by Herschel (discoverer of Uranus).

See here:

http://www.astrothek.de/astro-wetter/he ... iginal.gif

General rule: the closer the time of the lunar phase is to midnight the better the weather. The table gives more specific hints.

Example, New Moon, London 1st July:

According to the table "changeable" weather.

Of course, this should never be used without reference to the chart itself: AC VIR and IC SCOR plus SUN/MO sqaure SAT/LIB - at times cool, then warm, but not really cold, and some showers to be expected (?).
Seems to be nice over there in Britain presently, but the country might have to expect some cool days with showers in the course of the week.

Rule: a New Moon sholud not be referred to the complete cycle, it may predict the weather for about a week (until the time of the following half moon), however it may exert its influence unti the following full moon.

Any experiences with the table worth being discussed?
LL
Non coerceri maximo, contineri minimo divinum est.

I hadn't heard of this, but I'm willing to give it a try and see what I see for my area. for my location, Jupiter was exact the ascendent for the new moon, which was 1:54 AM Pacific time. Have to Admit Saturday was glorious here on the west coast, aka southern CA and had been June gloom for all of June (aka overcast)
today, overcast in the morning but very moderate and sunny now, 74 Fahrenheit with a bit of a breeze off the ocean.

we could kind of do a weather check against the lunar charts once a week if anyone is game?

Granny

Well, I do not really know if the Herschel table can be easily applied in regions outside Europe. I can imagine that the rule "the closer to midnight the better the weather" may be taken as a general one. But unlike northern Europe the weather in CA is much more stable, as far as I know, not very changeable. I think one has to be careful especially with respect to the directions of the winds in that table. They might possibly refer only to Britain and north west Europe (?).
Anyway, one may of course have a look at some charts.

You'll certainly remember the storm and the heavy rainfalls a few day before Christmas last winter? The chart of the Full Moon (eclipse!) of Dec 21st 2010, southern CA:

Now, here the moon phase took place around midnight - and the weather was certainly not fine. This does not necessarily mean that the rule can't be applied to CA. But in this case the obviously critical constellations were extremely strong. - SAT, as experience shows, can produce a lot of rain (in contrast to what is generally believed) - after all it rules Aquarius (emptying its amphora...).

A similar chart is the one of the Full Moon of Febr. 18th, 08:35 GMT ( http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/2 ... 25664.html )

LL
Non coerceri maximo, contineri minimo divinum est.