fate and free will - passive verses active role we play

i enjoyed reading this older article from 2002 that i just read today.. perhaps some others here might too and might even like to comment on it. it sort of goes into what i was trying to get at with a previous thread with ariondys about how so much of what we view is subjective and therefore dependent on how we want to process the 'data' which we tend to think of as more 'objective' in nature..

http://www.maggiehyde.com/articles/freewill.html

I've been pondering the freewill thing myself. Because I believe that partly 'character is fate' ... if you look at the methods of ascertaining a 'successful' life - such as looking at the trigon lords and their state and position, the state of the Lots of Spirit, Fortune, Basis and Exaltation and finally the bound of the trigon light and its condition (from Valens)... then this isn't necessarily 'character', so a different character may yield different results...

"Having a passive attitude is, perhaps, the reason why divination of any sort does not come to life. As soon as you accept you are being shown a fate about to unfold, and adopt a passive stance, you have fated yourself."

This rings true also, but maybe one could argue that at this point you wanted to give up anyway as you'd given someone else the 'decision' on which way to go in life or whatever. I just don't know!

I'm coming to see astrology as an interesting topic for its own sake and one esoteric route to getting pearls of wisdom along with many others.

I turned to the study of astrology to try and 'help' myself to see where the weak spots might be and what tools could I use to mitigate them but really I've not led my life (the big stuff) according to astrology.

Regarding that quote above, there's a favourite sit com of mine called Still Game, one of the characters went to see a fortune teller who told her she'd come into money, oh and get knocked down by a silver car on Thursday! Now obviously there's not much you can do about that if you're the sort of person who is very careful about crossing the road anyway... but Thursday came and she was indeed bumped into by a silver car... a tiny bumper car driven by a toddler! Don't quite know what my point is - but it gave me a laugh to remember that.

Meredith wrote:
"Having a passive attitude is, perhaps, the reason why divination of any sort does not come to life. As soon as you accept you are being shown a fate about to unfold, and adopt a passive stance, you have fated yourself."
hi meredith,

thanks for sharing. i really think those who comment on astro charts and share there perspective to others who know next to nothing about astrology( especially on some internet forum) need to be aware of this. everyone who participates needs to be aware of this really. a special type of responsibility is required by the astrologer in what they tell someone. a recent incident happened on this forum that reminded me of this.. do you lay out a 'negative' picture for a person whereby they feel like they may as well not do anything and that whatever they do it will be a '''bad'' year anyway, or do you tell them it might be a more challenging year for you without trying to articulate how the specifics might unfold? and maybe it is a challenge that the person needs to gain greater consciousness as it so often is.. i think it is the responsibility of the astrologer to be aware of the type of undue influence they might have on a person especially one more prone to give up anyway..

the sitcom example is playing to the proverbial stereotype of a fortune teller.. as for the "coming into money and hit by a silver car" - that is a psychic fortune teller type of line - the last part anyway.. the first part is something an astrologer might want to say, but i doubt an astrologer would be so specific about an accident... of what benefit is it to tell a person any of this? i realize people go to '''fortune tellers'' which i would lump astrologers into as that is how much of the general public view astrologers, but of what benefit is there to telling someone this? okay.. people often go to fortune tellers to know more about issues around money, relationships, health on themselves or others.. that is a given.. what exactly is the role of an astrologer? mere fortune teller, or something more? i think it is something more - shamanistic, spiritual - offering some greater vision they would benefit from considering..

i mostly use astrology for myself and close family who are interested..i am not into wearing some wizard cap and thinking i have some special viewpoint on life.. i think everyone does.. the one astrology offers is unique, but there are many other doors to perception and astrology is but one of them. if a person takes an active conscious role in their life i think they have less to worry about or think about being 'fated'.. that is my take on fate and free will and what i got from the article.
Meredith wrote:

This rings true also, but maybe one could argue that at this point you wanted to give up anyway as you'd given someone else the 'decision' on which way to go in life or whatever. I just don't know!

Regarding that quote above, there's a favourite sit com of mine called Still Game, one of the characters went to see a fortune teller who told her she'd come into money, oh and get knocked down by a silver car on Thursday! Now obviously there's not much you can do about that if you're the sort of person who is very careful about crossing the road anyway... but Thursday came and she was indeed bumped into by a silver car... a tiny bumper car driven by a toddler! Don't quite know what my point is - but it gave me a laugh to remember that.

...wearing some wizard cap
:lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... zards.html
WIZARDS really did wear tall pointed hats - but not the crumpled cloth kind donned by such fictional characters as Harry Potter, Gandalf and Merlin.

The wizards of early Europe wore hats of gold intricately embellished with astrological symbols that helped them to predict the movement of the sun and stars.

This is the conclusion of German archaeologists and historians who claim to have solved the mystery behind a series of strange yet beautiful golden cone-shaped objects discovered at Bronze Age sites across Europe.
What about a palmistry reader, amateur in this case, probaby read some books on it during their life who comes up with a prognosis of NO children line after a few seconds. Isn't it my responsibility as a freethinking human to dismiss things I know nothing about?

Expect it to be fashionable to believe in fate once again in the fixed Age of Aquarius. Perhaps fate vs freewill is just the way a state of mutability exists. Would they have believed in Destiny more in the cardinal Age of Aries?

"Wizards" will be reading people's DNA and predicting the future soon... And pyschohistorians will be calculating the fate of societies. And interfering to lessen the inevitable periods of chaos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychohist ... al)#Axioms
The character responsible for the science's creation, Hari Seldon, established two axioms:
-that the population whose behaviour was modeled should be sufficiently large
-that the population should remain in ignorance of the results of the application of psychohistorical analyses

There is a third underlying axiom of Psychohistory, which is trivial and thus not stated by Seldon in his Plan:
-that Human Beings are the only sentient intelligence in the Galaxy.