Will the flight be affected by the strike?

I've already judged this horary and made my decision, but since the situation has a short shelf life I thought I'd post the chart and update with the answer next week.

I'm due to catch a flight to Italy tomorrow for a weekend conference at Perugia.

Yesterday I heard the news that there is a planned 1-day strike for public sector workers on Thursday, over plans to make them pay more for their pension, draw less when they get it, and keep working until there's no time left to draw it anyway.

This morning it became clear that the strike will affect people who are booked to travel on Thursday, which includes lucky me. (BBC warning for travellers here)

Unfortunately I received this news after confirming my booking and going through the process of online check in. So it's not possible to change my flight although it is possible to book another for the following day at a high cost. This would still cause problems because my husband has managed his schedule to take drive me to the airport on Thursday and wouldn't be able to do that on Friday.

Here is the chart - I've previously got stuck at airports for weather problems, technical problems, ash problems, and a couple of years ago had an almost a life-changing experience after being trapped at an airport with such heavy snow that myself and a small group of passengers shared hotel accomodation and had a better time than most people do on holiday.

So maybe this is a good example for a question that is getting more and more topical, and it's worth thinking about the signification involved.

I instinctively went to the 3rd house for the travel, not the 9th. I commute a lot and the issue for me is about the logistics of movement, not concern about overseas matters, attributed to the 9th. Maybe the 9th is more relevant to the border control situation or the bigger picture. Others may take a different approach on that and it might be a good point for discussion. My 3rd house approach seems valid to my understanding of the situation because my natal Moon degree is on the 3rd cusp - this is something that occurs so often that it's become a reliable signature in my own charts to see my Moon degree on the ascendant or the cusp of the quesited house.

Any thoughts? I'll update with feedback on Tuesday when I am back home (hopefully having been away).
Chart details:
8:08 am BST (-1hrs)
53N09 | 1w11

Deb

I've taken mainly the Sun as your significator and noticed that it applies directly to square with Saturn without reception - both of you in each other's fall in fact. It must be telling that Saturn is natural ruler of delays and restrictions and is sitting in your third house of travel. I agree that the 3rd would be more fitting for you in this instance, and not the 9th, though I'd imagine that the 9th might be the aviation industry generally. Lord 9 is peregrine in the 10th ruled by a peregrine malefic - mars - perhaps indicating the folly of this decision by the authorities.

You are in the 11th which is not an unfortunate house and are separating from sextile to Jupiter, Lord 9, and are also peregrine - in fact all the main significators seem peregrine in this chart.

My jugement would be that you will be delayed or cancelled either on your way out of the country, or on your return. That Jupiter is angular, even if lacking in dignity, should surely offer some benefice but my guess is that your flight will be at the very least delayed and possibly cancelled, though you'll get there in the end.
Last edited by Paul on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is it not funny that on a money related question Saturn falls on the 2nd, and now, on a travelling matter we see Saturn on the 3rd?

That is why I like astrology :lol:

Deb,

I'm of the opinion that there will be some delay to your flight, yes. The Moon is void for the time being (although it will aspect Venus, just she is out of orb now).

Well, the Sun does apply to Saturn on the 3rd by a hard aspect, Saturn quite possibly representing the claims being made that will delay flights...

Still, I do not think that it will be that much problematic, because the Moon will apply to Venus as it's last aspect in sign, so, you still get to Italy on time (Venus is the exalted ruler of 9th).

But I'd think that just as the Moon, being the natural significator of movement, aspects the Sun, you will be inside the plane, to travel... only that happens on friday :-?

Good luck!
Last edited by PFN on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulo Felipe Noronha

I think the primary testimony in this chart falls on the Moon because it aspects the rising sign from the 11th. The Sun as the ruler of the AC is in aversion to its domicile, in the 12th sign - not good, reflecting Deb's concerns in the matter. Although applying to Saturn which reflects its light to the rising degree, the Sun is nevertheless weakened because Saturn is cadent in the 3rd and consequently of no substantial help(not to mention the lack of reception and a square aspect). Hence Sun as the primary significator of the querent is impeded and in need which damages the possibility of a positive outcome.

The Moon is separating from Saturn, denoting Deb's fears about potentially not being able to reach her destination due to strike. Before the Moon separates from Saturn, she'll be applying to Venus so there's no VOC in my opinion.
What bothers me more is the Moon's application to the south node(the distance is less than 12 degrees) and this is very damaging to the Moon, especially because it is in its waning phase,peregrine and still slower than its average motion. I wonder if such a damaged Moon, whose corruption is likely to increase by approaching the node, can signify a good outcome to the question. The Moon's conjunction with Venus happens by the node itself hence Venus is also damaged by being near it, not to mention her being totally ex conditione - out of sect, in a masculine sign/quadrant,above the horizon in a day chart which testifies to the unease and disquiet,less competence or fitness to act constructively.(B. Dykes, Using Medieval Astrology, Part I). The POF is also in the 12th :(

Turning again to the Sun, it's just separated from Jupiter, its exalted lord and the ruler of the 9th - separating from reception and applying to another planet that doesn't receive it is also damaging.
What may be of help - the Sun is applying from a superior position to Saturn, so I take this to mean there's a slight chance of overcoming the obstacles. Another positive testimony is the angular Jupiter, ruler of the preceding syzygy which is in its sect, halb and masculine quadrant.

When I weigh all the testimonies, however, I think the flight will be very affected by the strike, possibly so much that it will not take place. The main testimonies just seem so strongly negative to me - I hope it shows that I misjudged the chart entirely.

Good luck, Deb :'

Goran
Last edited by cor scorpii on Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I agree with the above.

Furthermore, exalted Saturn lord of the 6th of workers is stationary direct in the 3rd of travel, just sitting there and refusing to move or be moved, smack on fixed star Gienah ("Craftiness, greed, ingenuity, patience, revengefulness, passion, selfishness, lying, aggression, and material instincts; sometimes causes natives to become agitators.")

Mercury, lord of the 3rd is trapped in the 12th of imprisonment, in Saturn's sign of detriment and void of course. No other planet can beold it. It is held hostage and is going nowhere.

Sun is cnj South Node by Antiscia.

I wonder what you would make of the following observation:
Mercury is cnj Mars lord 10th by antiscia. Mars is on fixed star Hyades ("Scandal, violence, disgrace, imprisonment; bringer of rain.")
Cusp of 10th (MC) is cnj fixed star Kurdah("Kings, rulers, judges").

Hello deb and All:

I agree to Cor Scorpi with few exceptions.

The first thing I noted was that the Moon is Deb?s significator, since the Sun does not aspect the ASC.
The Moon is sextiling the rising sign, and the Moon is in Gemini, the sign of Mercury, relating to trips.
The Moon is separating from Saturn, an obstacle in the trip, but her ruler is in the 12th: restrictions and being incarcerated.
To top it all, the Moon is going towards the South Node, so this is a really unfortunate situation.
Venus,almuten of the 9th( if we use Regio), is peregrine and weak, after a conjunction to the SN.

Mercury, ruler of the 3rd is in antiscia with Mars. The ruler of the trip conjunct to the ruler of the MC, is a good thing, but gives testimony only to assure the radicality of the chart.

The ASC is conjunct to the star Acubens, of the nature of Mercury and Saturn. The hour ruler is Saturn, placed in the 3rd house. O, it is not a good moment for a trip!

Summarizing we have a real bad scenary.

My judgement is that you should to postpone the trip, Deb!

Anyway, I wish you luck!

Cl?lia
http://www.astrologiahumana.com

I'm not liking these judgements guys.

Thanks for all the great feedback! This is only the second time that other astrologers have given me their views on one of my horaries whilst it's still 'live' and it's a fascinating experience for me. I almost changed my travel plans earlier, but in the end I've decided not to. I'm going to try to make the flight.

Since I don't know any more than anyone else, I suppose I can input too.

I don't think the chart shows me not getting there. There are no malefics on the angles and whilst the Sun and Moon are not strong in essential dignities and have difficulties, at least they are in the house of good fortune.

The Sun's sq to Saturn without reception is never a nice aspect; but on the other hand, there is a direct, uninterrupted (though difficult) joining of the 1st and 7th rulers. I'm looking at Saturn as the 7th house ruler being the significator for my destination.

I'm hoping that the Moon in the 11th separating from the trine of Saturn, and aspecting the asc by sextile and desc by trine will also show that I am fortunate and reach the destination with maybe just some delay. (A delay doesn't worry me - a cancellation does).

3rd ruler Mercury is not in good shape and that does worry me. This also reflects the fact that I am having all sorts of communication and telecom problems - I currently have no landline telephone or internet connection (only mobile internet) because the local telegraph pole was burned down in a neighbour's fire, and I can't receive my regular email with only the mobile connection. My mobile phone was also damaged recently when a bottle of water in my bag spilled, so now I can receive calls but the screen is barely lighting so I can hardly see anything to make calls or send texts (I'm basically guessing with a touch screen). This was supposed to be fixed but it's now too necessary to keep as it is until the landline is up again. Still telecom deaths by floods and fire all happening at once for me.

These problems are showing in the chart I think but I'm also aware that they are resonating around me. Even so I think this chart shows difficulties and hassles and delays rather than cancellation. Hence, whilst I wouldn't stake my life on this chart I'll risk a day at the airport.

My biggest dilemma now is whether to puchase an extra ticket for Friday just in case my flight is cancelled and then everyone wants to reschedule and there isn't room on the next day's flight. Bearing my comments in mind, that I think there is some room for hope here, I'd be interesting in views on that. At the moment I'm inclining not to because of the expense involved.

Maybe I am being overly optimistic, but at this point I refuse to give up hope :)

Hello

I'm going to go against the grain a little bit and say that my judgement (such as it is) is that Deb has flown out today, a day earlier than planned, after she saw that the chart showed the window of opportunity still there but closing rapidly, the situation not entirely against her unless she dithered, and weighed up whether to go a day late (expensively) or a day early (expensively) she decided that it's better to go early, having seen the mutual receptions, her protection from angular Jupiter, and the aspects to the 3rd and 7th house cusps. The 8th house being ruled by Jupiter showing that it would be more expensive either way, I think she bit the bullet and decided to have an extra day in Italy, as any right-thinking person would lol

Regards

H.

Hello Deb:
My biggest dilemma now is whether to puchase an extra ticket for Friday just in case my flight is cancelled and then everyone wants to reschedule and there isn't room on the next day's flight
I don?t think you have to buy another ticket. An extra expense is not expected since the 2nd house?s ruler is Mercury, and it is aspecting Jupiter by sign (the 8th house ruler, money going out), and Jupiter receives Mercury by exaltation. Jupiter is the universal significator of money and some times it means expensures, but in in this case I don?t think so.

I have seen charts with difficult configurations having a good( but not really brilliant) outcomes against all the expected failures, so hold on if you decided to go and iif you are aware of possible difficulties. Some of them you are still living now by antecipation :)

regards

Clelia
http://www.astrologiahumana.com