Mitt Romney nomination as Republican Presidential candidate

This chart is set for the time Mitt Romney got the 1144 votes needed for him to become the official Republican candidate for the US Presidential election. I had two sources for the time, the online 'live update' for the Telegraph and Guardian newspapers. The Guardian gave the time as 17:45 local time in Tampa, Florida, where the convention is being held, and the Telegraph gave the time as 17:42 local time. The chart is thus set for 17:43.
I will follow Barbara Waters in the consideration of this chart. Barbara Watters was an American astrologer noted for her political astrology. She gave a consideration of the nomination of Senator George McGovern as Democratic candidate for the 1972 Presidential election in her book, "Horary Astrology and the Judgement of Events", which is used as a model here.

In this chart, the ascendant is for the convention caucus or group empowered to select the candidate. The ascendant is in Capricorn, and so Saturn in Libra is for the caucus, where it is exalted, in the 9th house. The ascendant itself is however late, in the 28th degree. This probably signified that the selection was a done deal, as it has been for the last three years. We all knew who it was going to be.

The 10th house is for the candidate, and so Mars is for Mitt Romney. Mars is very strong at 3 degrees of Scorpio, having rulership, triplicity, term and face. The only way Mars could be stronger is if it was on the MC rather than lagging behind somewhat in the 9th, a cadent house. (But more on this below). In terms of delegate vote, Romney crushed the opposition gaining 1575 votes compared to 245 for second placed Rick Santorum. Mars is conjunct Saturn, showing that he has the broad backing of the Republican movers and shakers, but the conjunction is across a sign change showing that perhaps Romney will want to take the Republican party in a different direction that most will want to go and the unity is superficial.

See too that Mars in trine Neptune, on the cusp of the 2nd. This is echoed by the Sun, natural significator for the candidate, which is in opposition to Neptune out of the radical 8th. Neptune represents fraud, deception, and being on the cusp of the radical 2nd, embezzlement. Is there a financial scandal waiting to blow Romney off course?

The 7th house is for the campaign. The Moon rules the 7th and is in the 1st house in Aquarius. At first sight, this looks like a good omen as the Moon is disposed by Saturn. However, though the Moon is in Aquarius, and so disposed by Saturn, this is not the Capricorn Saturn which is ruler of the first house. Saturn is the natural significator of the Democratic party (as it is the older party). Too, the Moon is the natural significator for the electorate and the Moon is applying square to Mars. The people do not particularly like Romney, who seems rather cold and aloof and Obama has consistently led Romney in the polls.

Uranus is sextile to the Moon out of Aries, Uranus can mean sudden reversals and change, but being in the radical 2nd and ruled by Mars, I take it to show that the public rather like Romney's radical agenda on the economy.

The 4th house is the turned 7th from the 10th and so is for Romney's running mate, Paul Ryan. We see Venus stuck out on the cusp of the 7th house casting a wide square to Saturn. But the question is, which Saturn?

Jupiter is the natural significator of the Republican party and is sitting in Gemini where it is in detriment and otherwise unaspected. Even the most ardent Republican could not say Jupiter was conjunct the nearby Part of Fortune, also in Gemini.

Pulling this all together, I would note that Mars (Romney) is very strong in a sign which it rules, but it would have been better if Mars could have been in the angular 10th rather than the 9th. Too, the moon is peregrine and, of course, the cusp of the 7th is also late in Cancer, which would seem to show that the electorate are not in the mood for change. Jupiter seems rather becalmed in Gemini. My impression is that though Romney is strong and has a lot of energy and commitment, this is in contrast to the inertia and lack of energy in the rest of the chart. From this chart, I tip my hat to Obama to win by a head,

As an interesting epilogue, there was one rather odd event at the convention that took place shortly before Romney achieved his 'over the top' delegate vote total. At 17:02, the Chairman for the Committee on Rules, John Sununu, stood up and formally nominated Mitt Romney as the Republican candidate. This left most people rather bemused as the delegate total for Mitt Romney had not yet passed the magical 1144 votes. "What was that all about," people asked? But, if we look at the chart for 17:02, we can see what it was all about.
Mars (Romney) is now bang on the MC, where it could not possibly be stronger. Too, Jupiter (the Republican party) is now nicely conjunct the Part of Fortune. This is obviously a much better chart for the Republican party. We, as astrologers, can see that this as a blatant attempt to influence the time at which Mitt Romney was officially declared the Republican Party Presidential candidate. The Part of Fortune was important to Joan Quigley as astrologer to the Reagans, which accounted for nominations being announced at rather strange times at conventions where Ronald Reagan figured prominently.

The media were not fooled, however, and the official time reported for Mitt Romney's nomination was the time at which he attained the votes of the majority of the delegates. But there seems little doubt that there is a court astrologer in the camp of the Republican party. The big question of course, who is it?

Geoffrey

Re: Mitt Romney nomination as Republican Presidential candid

Geoffrey wrote: But there seems little doubt that there is a court astrologer in the camp of the Republican party. The big question of course, who is it?

Geoffrey
I suppose one could try and look at the methods used and narrow it down that way. An astrologer who allowed any planet in the same sign as the part of fortune would be out as the artist in question seems to want it conjunct. Once you know the school of astrology followed you can narrow down the list of suspects. There are not that many.

Better to leave it as a mystery although your question could be rhetorical anyway.

I agree with Saturngirl though; fabulous post

Matthew