Christopher Reeve
September 25, 1952
3:12 AM EDT
New York, NY
40 N 52' 51"
74 W 00' 23"

Rated A from the Clifford File on Solar Fire. Letter from Reeve to Linda Clark

ASC 19 Leo 03

I only have a death date of Sunday, Oct 10, 2004, Mount Kisco, NY no time given.

Tom

I've spent a little time looking at Reeve's natal chart and the south node (where you get hurt) sitting on the ASC is a bit scary. Janis Joplin (Jan 19, 1943, 9:45 AM + 5 hrs, Port Arthur, Texas, USA) also has the SN on the ASC. She truly hurt herself with drugs and alcohol. Reeve hurt himself, too, but not by something that could reasonably be called self-destructive behavior. He sufferred the last 9 years of his life as a result of a bad accident. Still he did it himself, i.e. participating in an individual sport.

Note both malefics aspect the ASC. However they are both soft aspects and Saturn is in the sign of his exaltation. Also the two planets that seem to have the most influence ( possibly excluding Venus) are Mercury (nervous system) and Saturn (restriction/paralysis) with Saturn ruling the 6th house of illness/injury [NOTE: it takes a lot more than Capricorn on the 6th and an influential Mercury to predict an injury that results in paralysis. It's easy to spot after the fact].

I checked Lee Lehman's book of rulerships and I'll pass along a couple of interesting things contained therein: Horses are ruled by the Sun according to Lilly (p. 71 CA), Mars according to Lilly (p. 68 CA), and Saturn according to Al Biruni (p 246). I'll have to check on why Lilly gives two planets for horses. However, if I've figured this out correctly, the Moon's last aspect was to the Sun and her next aspect is to Saturn. She translates light from the Sun (ASC ruler/horses) to Saturn (horses according to Al Biruni, and ruler of the natal 6th), and she does this from the sign of Sagittarius and she rules the 12th house of a) self undoing, and b) horses.

Leehman's book also lists injuries from horses as belonging to Sagittarius (Lilly p 97 CA) Saunders also gives Sagittarius as ruling injuries from horses (p. 18 ). Sagittarius is on the 5th house of recreation and it's dispositor is retrograde (works against the native) at the top of the chart.

All page references are taken from Lehman's book. I didn't check them further. Just some observations.

Tom

PS Outer planet fans take note: Neptune, as I understand it, is not only the god of the sea but of horses as both are wild and difficult to tame). Neptune in Reeve's chart is conjunct the 8th cusp by antiscion.

Traditionally the 12th house is associated with large animals. In this chart the Moon rules the 12th. The Moon is applying conjunct Mars in Sagittarius. Their dispositor, Jupiter, is angular in the 10th and closely squared the Moon?s nodal axis and the Asc.-Desc. (and Pluto). With Jupiter in the 10th could there be an indication of the fame and admiration which he deservedly received for his strong spirit and determination after the accident ? Am I complicating things unnecessarily by looking at the dispositor of the Moon & Mars?

Am I complicating things unnecessarily by looking at the dispositor of the Moon & Mars?
I don't think so, particularly since Moon and Jupiter are in a mixed mutual reception. Jupiter is in the exaltation of the Moon and the Moon is in the domicile of Jupiter.

Tom
Last edited by Tom on Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interesting comments on the injury Tom. The Moon applying to the conjunction of Mars in Sagittarius (horses) on the cusp of the 5th house of sport seems very relevant to the accident, with Saturn (ruler of 6th) in the 3rd describing the lack of mobility from the injury. As you say, both malefics aspect the South node on the ascendant so are capable of having a destructive effect on the body.

If anyone knows the time of the accident and the time of death I?ll add the charts into the thread.

However, if I've figured this out correctly, the Moon's last aspect was to the Sun and her next aspect is to Saturn. She translates light from the Sun (ASC ruler/horses) to Saturn (horses according to Al Biruni, and ruler of the natal 6th), and she does this from the sign of Sagittarius and she rules the 12th house of a) self undoing, and b) horses.
Hi Tom,
yes this is interesting isn't it, from a study viewpoint. I did notice though, that the Moon is moving not from the Sun to Saturn, but from the combust Mercury to Saturn. Ebertin in C.O.S.I. gives the biological correspondence of ME/SA as "The blocking of the nervous system, pain conducting nerves..."
Given the Moon's rulership of the 12th and Saturn's rulership of the 6th, it wouldn't be out of place to speculate about an injury to the nervous system.
Further, if we look at the nodal variation of the Firdaria, we can see that the injury occured during the South Node period, which lasted from Sept 94 - Sept 96, and the S.Node is conjunct his Ascendant.
Leehman's book also lists injuries from horses as belonging to Sagittarius (Lilly p 97 CA) Saunders also gives Sagittarius as ruling injuries from horses (p. 18 ). Sagittarius is on the 5th house of recreation and it's dispositor is retrograde (works against the native) at the top of the chart.
Absolutely, yes. And have you noticed that the antiscion of the Moon falls on the 6th cusp (regio'), and is in close square to Saturn?
Neptune, as I understand it, is not only the god of the sea but of horses as both are wild and difficult to tame). Neptune in Reeve's chart is conjunct the 8th cusp by antiscion.
And to cap it all, Neptune is closely conjunct the Part of Sickness. In 1995 when the accident occured, prog Saturn had just past the conjunction of Neptune and the P o S, prog Mars was opposed to Uranus, to which it is quincunx natally, and the prog Moon was drifting through the 12th house in Cancer.
Just a few more observations with my 20/20 hindsight.
==

Pete

Hi Pete,
yes this is interesting isn't it, from a study viewpoint. I did notice though, that the Moon is moving not from the Sun to Saturn, but from the combust Mercury to Saturn.
I'm not sure this is the case although it looks like it on the static chart. Mercury and the Sun are tightly conjunct, but not cazimi. Now Mercury is moving at a pretty good clip +1 degree 48' per day. The Sun is slower at 59' per day. I regressed the chart and came up with the following:

Sept 24, 4:32 am Moon enters Sagittarius
Mercury is at 1 Libra 02
Sun is at 1 Libra 14

September 24, 6:44 am Moon sextiles Mercury from 1 Sagittarius 12
Mercury is at 1 Libra 12
Sun is at 1 Libra 19

September 24 6:59 AM Moon sextiles Sun from 1 Sagittarius 20
Sun is at 1 Libra 20
Mercury is 1 Libra 13

September 25 Reeve is born at 3:12 AM
Mercury is at 2 Libra 45
The Sun is at 2 Libra 09
The Moon is at 12 Sagittarius 32

From this vantage point it seems as though the Moon would have last aspected Mercury, but Mercury "passed" the Sun after the Moon's last contact with the Sun which was after her contact with Mercury. Therefore, if I've done this correctly, the Moon's last aspect was to the Sun. Whew!

Otherwise, Ebertin's remarks are very interesting.

I'll say this for Christopher Reeve, he bore his burden with more dignity and optimism than I would have been able to muster in his circumstances. He did move his finger, which doctors said he would never be able to do, and he believed he would walk again. I believed he would, too. I'm sorry to see it end for him this way. He was a remarkable man.

And these sort of things aren't mentioned enough either. Consider what an exceptional woman his wife is. She said for better or for worse and she meant it and stayed with him and worked with him until the end. A tip of the hat to Mrs. Reeve who is as worthy of respect as her husband.

Tom

Absolutely. I'm glad you said that. It almost seems disrespectful to be dissecting people's charts as soon as they die. But the reason Christopher Reeve is deserving of our attention is because he was so remarkable in the face of his adversity.

From this vantage point it seems as though the Moon would have last aspected Mercury, but Mercury "passed" the Sun after the Moon's last contact with the Sun which was after her contact with Mercury. Therefore, if I've done this correctly, the Moon's last aspect was to the Sun. Whew!
Yes Tom, you're right, and thanks for the correction. From horses to falls and injury. Remarkable.
I'll say this for Christopher Reeve, he bore his burden with more dignity and optimism than I would have been able to muster in his circumstances. He did move his finger, which doctors said he would never be able to do, and he believed he would walk again. I believed he would, too. I'm sorry to see it end for him this way. He was a remarkable man.
Hear hear! Not to digress too much, but I'm a strong believer in an afterlife and I'm sure that where he is now, he is whole and happy.
And these sort of things aren't mentioned enough either. Consider what an exceptional woman his wife is. She said for better or for worse and she meant it and stayed with him and worked with him until the end. A tip of the hat to Mrs. Reeve who is as worthy of respect as her husband.
I couldn't agree more. Reeve himself said that he would have committed suicide had it not been for her and the children.
Of course, she is a reflection of the N.Node conjunct his 7th cusp, trine an exalted Saturn and sextile Mars in the 5th:
"help, courage, patience and endurance"
==

Pete

So far I can only find dates and Places, the Injury occured on May 27, 1995 in Culpeper County Virginia. I'm presuming in the day time, but I haven't been able to find a time table.

10/10/2004 in
The closest to a time frame I can get for death is CNN reports he died Sunday Afternoon. so presumeable before sundown, after 12:00 that is a 6 hour spread. in fact it is listed on the Grand Rapids news page for Sunday the 10th, so I'm thinking earlier than 6. But since it wasn't picked up until later by the big news services, I'd say quite a bit later than Noon.

Still searching.

Granny_Skot.