hi morning sun,

interesting! i just looked and i have sent 4 different pms's to 3 people since last saturday and they are sitting in the outbox showing they haven't been received, but don't appear in the sentbox! that is odd..

nixx, horatio and clinton - check your message box as i have sent you all messages!

Hi James,

Thanks for your response! Mine also do not show up in the sent box, and remain in the outbox.

I wonder if it is a system wide problem or just us?? There was a problem a couple days ago, I could not log on, but that seemed to be a problem with the skyscript server, I believe.

Hopefully it will get fixed.

Thanks again James,
Morning Sun

I noticed this as well, but I'm not sure if it's just that people don't always check their PMs but I've had some issues with getting emails that someone sent me a PM but then my inbox was too full and I never got to read it.

I tried PMing Johannes Susato and so far it's not been read as well - but I'm not sure if it's not been received or just not read.

From what I understand - the PM will remain in your outbox, and not go into your sent box, until the person you are sending it to logs into the forum. When they log in they receive it in their inbox and it then appears in your sent box. If it is still in your outbox it shows that it hasn't been received by the recipient. Some people elect not to receive PMs or notices about them, so even though you can see them posting in the forum, this doesn't mean they've seen your message. It may be their preference not to bother with PMs at all.

It seems to be different now. Generally when I send the PM it is always immediately in my sent box. If the person chooses not to read it, or is busy it still shows it was sent. Just as some I receive, they sit there until I get a chance to read them. Perhaps, as you say, Deb, it is not delivered until the person logs in. However, it seems to have just occured recently, does anyone else think so? Maybe not. No problem really.

Paul wrote:I tried PMing Johannes Susato and so far it's not been read as well - but I'm not sure if it's not been received or just not read.
It was not before I just read this, and accidentally, that I checked my PMs here in my Inbox to find PMs received since March 13th.

Up to this date I had been informed always and punctually by the forum's automatic e-mail service.

Thanks for all PMs which I shall answer as soon as possible.

Johannes

PS: since a week about there were repeatedly problems with no access at all to the forum for a while or the traffic within the forum being very slowly.

Sorry to hear you have been experiencing problems, but I haven't had those problems myself so it's difficult to give an explanation. With regard to notifications, only one automatic message is sent and if that if not responded to by the user checking their PMs, the system will not send another until the user does (no matter how many new PMs come in in the mean time. You should, however, notice a pop up about the message when you come to the forum, unless pop-ups are disabled by your browser.

Johannes has just alerted me to a new member who has supposedly made over 16 million messages since April 12th. I've banned this user temporarily until I can get this situation looked at by the technical expert who maintains the server. I did notice a few days ago an unusually high number of requests to join the forum, but I always err on the side of caution when that happens and may have to rethink the procedure for accepting new members.

So the position at the moment is that I'm not sure what's happening, but it does look like something strange is going on which needs to be investigated more deeply.

Sorry for any inconvenience. I'll update when I can.

Deb

Hi Deb

On a slightly related note, I have been removing a number of posts made as adverts for selling kitchens. If I see it again, I'll note the user name, but I wonder if it's possible to require a Captcha field either at sign in or even to register an account. Just a randomised word or image.

We already have a process inn place to ensure that only humans can register, but spammers will always find a way. Best thing to do is send me the link for anyone spamming so I can delete their account and ban their IP from future access to the forum.

I've been told that some in-depth maintenance was performed on the server a few days ago, which probably explains why some noticed that the site was slow and unreliable around that time. The server is fully aware of this thread and the problems reported, so is everything is being checked out - it may take a day or two for this to complete but for the time being I'm told that there doesn't seem to be anything to worry about.