thanks martin! i thought that might be the case, but wanted to make sure by asking... i haven't read any dexter or sinister in valen so far.. i am used to thinking of these squares as 10th or 4th, depending on which planet is where on the aspect, but the terminology right and left got me! i like the concept of solar houses where you do the same thing..

the place of accomplishment or ruler of accomplishment

here is another valens mystery - place of accomplishment...

ordinarily i would think this is some sort of 10th house relationship going on, but i can't quite tell.. sometimes it is referred to as accomplishment with "the place of" dropped off ..i am reading rileys interpretation.. i like the interpretation as it is easy to read, but i am left scratching my head on some of the use of terms like this one...

here is one example page 38 at bottom of rileys 172 page pdf file.
"if the rulers of fortune and of accomplishment do not happen to be in their own places,..."

any ideas aside from the obvious one - 10th?

Re: the place of accomplishment or ruler of accomplishment

Hi sandstone!
sandstone wrote:ordinarily i would think this is some sort of 10th house relationship going on, but i can't quite tell.. sometimes it is referred to as accomplishment with "the place of" dropped off ..i am reading rileys interpretation.. i like the interpretation as it is easy to read, but i am left scratching my head on some of the use of terms like this one...
If you're scratching your head, is it really easy to read? ;)

That does sound like a translation of praxis, so you're probably right at assuming accomplishment meaning the 10th. Fortune is most likely relating to the Lot of Fortune.
Gabe

hi gabe,

i find the same thing happens when i scratch other parts of my body too! the whole screen or book shakes, lol... thanks for your comments!

fortune is definitely pof, of that i am clear, but the way this term accomplishment gets tossed around isn't as easy to decipher..

tom, if you are reading this can you change the thread title to : questions on the valens text -riley translation..... that way i or others can continue to fire off questions on some of the valens text... thanks!
james

Hello James,

If you turn to page 35, section 20K;21P Book II (Riley' Translation of course) under the title: The 11th Place <Relative> of Fortune and its Influence on Prosperity.
Valens explained what Riley translates as "Place of Accomplishment" as follows:

We have found the 11th Place <relative> of Fortune to be the Place of Accomplishment, the
bestower of property and goods, especially if benefics are in this Place or in aspect.

So, if Riley is consistent, place of accomplishment is 11th sign from Lot of Fortune wherever the term "place of accomplishment" appears!

The same place is translated as "place of acquisition" or "acquisitive place" by Robert Schmidt (see Book II, Chapter 21, which is the parallel chapter to Riley's transation above).

astrojin and deb - thanks! and thanks for changing the title of the thread as i figured i would hold off asking more questions til it changed..
i must have been dosing off and missed that on page 35! wouldn't be the first time.. thanks again.. james

Hi astrojin!

Hmm, not sure that Accomplishment is a good translation of the term ?????????????. The lexicon gives the following meanings: able to procure, productive; grasping; indicating the procuring of; wealth-bringing (though that last one is marked Astrological, and I've developed healthy suspicion for those lexicon entries. Have to blame Schmidt for that). Acquisitive does seem like a decent synonym for grasping/procuring, though I like grasping as it's a little more lively.

The verb ????????? that ????????????? appears to derive from does have a meaning of achieve along with others like procure, secure, acquire. "cause to remain over and above". So that might be where Riley chose it, if not why.
Gabe

Hi GR,

I agree! I think Schmidt's translation seems better (not because I know Greek!), it seems to be more consistent to what 11th sign from Lot of Fortune seems to mean. I feel that the term accomplishment should probably be assigned to 11th if not 10th(?) from ascendant sign. How I wish Valens would simply compare and contrast the house meanings relative to the "cosmic" ascendant and "genethlialogocal" ascendant!

astrojin wrote:Hi GR,

I agree! I think Schmidt's translation seems better (not because I know Greek!), it seems to be more consistent to what 11th sign from Lot of Fortune seems to mean. I feel that the term accomplishment should probably be assigned to 11th if not 10th(?) from ascendant sign. How I wish Valens would simply compare and contrast the house meanings relative to the "cosmic" ascendant and "genethlialogocal" ascendant!
Remember everybody that Prof. Riley writes the following about Vettius Valens Anthologiai text: "What you find here is a preliminary translation completed in the 1990?s"

james