Valens - Anthologies (New Edition of Riley's Translation)

Hi all,

With approval from Mr. Riley, I have made new edition of his translation. I have made few changes. First, I removed the references to the Critical Editions and put them in footnotes. Second, I replaced “< >??? with “[ ]???. For me, it is much cleaner that way. I also put colorful tables and bookmarks. So this is what is done in this first edition. I hope I will have more time in the future and put charts of all of Valens’ examples and also make few more changes with purpose for more enjoyable reading of this classic book. Enjoy!

https://beyondtheheaven.files.wordpress ... .-blue.pdf

https://beyondtheheaven.files.wordpress ... -green.pdf

P.S. I first made this for my personal use, but then I thought why not share it, someone may find it useful. I am sure if I have more time to spend on it, it will look much better.

Also, Mr. Riley asked me to share this with you:
“Just be sure to remind them that there may be some mistakes in the translation, especially in the mathematical sections. I was as accurate as I could be, but I may have misunderstood some passages???.

Ile

hi Ile - good to see you back and thanks for sharing what is definitely a much easier read of the valens material, then the version i last saw a few years ago... hopefully others will appreciate and benefit from it too... thanks

Hi James, thank you for your warm welcome. Nice to be here again.

Therese, I hope it would be a helpful read for you just as it is for me.
Have you considered (With Riley's permission and cooperation) publishing your version in print? I would buy it. We really could use a print edition.
I don’t think that would be possible for now since a published version of this translation would need a full cooperation with Mr. Riley (as I think this translation needs revision) and he is not with his mind on Valens at the moment, as I understood him.

My Ancient Greek is not as good as I would like it to be at the moment, so hopefully in the future it will be and I can revise and edit the translation myself and just have a permission from Mr. Riley for publishing. But I don’t have such plans to be honest, at least not at the moment.

However, there is another translation of Valens announced to me privately (from other translator) of which I am not allowed to talk publicly, so we should be patient and see what will happen with that.

Tanit: any chance Prof Riley would like to translate Cardano's latin
musings on Ptolemy which, as I understand, includes his delineation of the horoscope of Edward VI

Ille: Thank you so much

SGFoxe wrote:Tanit: any chance Prof Riley would like to translate Cardano's latin
musings on Ptolemy which, as I understand, includes his delineation of the horoscope of Edward VI

Ille: Thank you so much
Seconded: Parts of Cardan's musings of ptolemy were eventually translated into Chinese by Jan Mikołaj Smogulecki-- down to the horoscope of Edward VI, who is described as "王???少??????少亡" "A prince who ascended to the throne young and died young". Source:https://www.academia.edu/32753215/Europ ... etrabiblos