Jupiter in Gemini is not considered a detriment.
Only exaltation and fall is considered in Jyotisha. If you are working out the Western sidereal version then the Karaka's are not considered.

PD

Konrad wrote:I've read this previously. Why isn't detriment considered a debility?
Not sure why. It is just not even mentioned. For that matter, 7th house aspects by benefics are not considered bad either.

Western siderealists may differ but they use different set of tools.

PD

Varuna, thanks for the information. There is a friends/enemies list in the Western tradition but it is rather static and I don't recall actually seeing it used. I certainly never use it.

Pankajdubey, the 7th house aspect by benefics is not considered a bad thing in Persian/Arabic astrology either nor in the Greek (well Valens, at least). Ben Dykes calls both squares and the opposition the "stakes" of a sign and they are of the utmost importance when timing events in the year using the lords of the profections.

Thanks Konrad and Varuna,

If you really get into the Jyotisha system then for malefics, the square and opposition will be bad because Mars is given three aspects- 4th( and thus equivalent to a square ), the 7th and the 8th ( mars thus is the only planet that aspects the 8th from its own sign.

Saturn has a 10th aspect and 7th aspect and thus covers square and opposition but also has a third house aspect!! Suggesting that at some point in its development Saturn's sextile was considered harmful too.

None of the benefics have a 4th or 10th aspect and only Jupiter has 5th and 9th aspects.