Hi,

I haven't read any of the other answers yet, because I really want to try this on my own...so here it goes :

chart 1 : the catholic priest.
Pisces on the MC, with Jupiter in Virgo and Venus in Capricorn in 7th house. An ambitious man, very strong Venus in angular house
Sun is in Sagittarius (a religious sign) in 6th house...service to others.
Moon ascendant lord in Scorpio is also religious. This man's mother probably was religious as well.
Mercury in Scorpio : a good listener, someone who's interested in deeper meaning of life and deeper psychology

chart 2 : the sportsman
Ascendant lord Sun in Sagittarius, a sportsign
Sun in 5th house, house of sports
Aries on the MC, exaltation ruler of the Sun, both in fire signs

chart 3 : the musician as already explained in my earlier posts

I know my interpretation isn't very elaborate, but I want to contribute before it's too late. I really am enjoying this exercise ! :-)
Even if I'm totally wrong, it's a great way to learn..
and now I'll read the other comments and answers...

Ok so the more I think of this the more I'm convinced that a combust venus and mercury wouldn't be in the chart of a famous pianist. I'm presuming they're well known.

So that means I default to chart 1 for the pianist. I do think planets that sextile or trine the MC are the more telling significators for career, so with that in mind we have venus sextile the MC and Mercury trine the MC.
Their essential dignities are not anything to write home about however, but I struggle to imagine how a combust mercury and venus could signify a career in music. Plus an angular venus just appeals to me more tbh. I'm inclined to believe that accidental strengths rather than essential strengths are more relevant in career.
The only thing is that with Saturn and Jupiter also angular if this is not the chart of the pianist I might suggest it's the chart of the cardinal instead.

Chart 3 I've already ruled out.

So my final answer on the pianist is a tentative chart 1. I'd be interested if it does turn out to be Chart 2 though. If it's actually chart 3 all along then I am rubbish at finding careers from a chart because more so than the others that's the one I think is least likely to be a professional musician.

Ok so that leaves charts 2 and 3.

I just don't think chart 2 is the chart of a professional athlete - with venus combust here I do wonder if this indicates a celibate individual - something about a combust venus just resonates with me for the catholic church's clergy. Also continuing my logic of planets sextiling and trine the MC, we have Jupiter here sextile the MC, and also well dignified, so I think this one is the chart of the Cardinal. Not sure though.

Which leaves chart 3 as the football player? To be honest I wouldn't necessarily say this was the chart of a football player either, but because I think the other two charts fit with the idea of a pianist and a cardinal better, this one is pretty much just being left as process of elimination. I guess Sun sextile the MC might indicate a person who desires glory - which would fit an american sportsplayer better than it would a pianist or cardinal. However Mars being not so prominent here makes me doubt that.

So basically one thing that springs to mind whilst I'm thinking of all this is that I was fortunate enough to attend a seminar with Bernadette Brady, last year or the year before. And the topic was actually on careers as it happens. Her logic which was of course based on the tradition, was to examine in particular which planet aspects the MC by sextile or trine as it's the most likely significator for career. So this has been the logic I've stuck to here. However one very interesting thing she said is that nowadays in soccer, wrestling or american football, their 'real' job is to entertain and to be a showperson - in other words, she said, it's more a venus role or a sun role than it is mars. Because a lot of popular sports are often not about aggression and fighting and winning, but about looking good, smiling at the camera, getting sponsorship deals and putting on a good show.

So although I've had no opportunity to see if this is right, I'm going to just trust in her and say then that with the Sun aspecting the MC, that chart 3 is the chart of the football player.
However, with the opposition to Saturn, it makes me wonder about whether it is the cardinal instead, especially as in chart 2 we have an angular mars.

So in conclusion:
Chart 1: 1st choice is pianist, 2nd choice is cardinal
Chart 2: 1st choice is cardinal, 2nd choice is pianist
Chart 3: 1st choice is football player, 2nd choice is cardinal

I may change my mind cos I've over a day before Tom posts his answer, but for now this is what feels right to me.
The more I think about all the charts, the more convinced I am that chart 3 is NOT the pianist. It's just a matter of whether a combust venus could be a pianist instead. More so because of that combustion than anything else, I'm leaning away from chart 2. The rest of my choices pretty much all flow from that choice.

This was fun, I can't wait to find out which chart is which and find out what techniques everyone's used. So far I've only skimmed one or two other people's posts because I want to make my own decision kind of 'blind' from anyone else. Plus this is the first chance I've really gotten to put to the test what I learned from that seminar with Bernadette Brady.

The logic worked for me as well. I have Venus trine the MC and also Neptune trine the MC. She had spent some time on the modern planets and associated Neptune with drugs and all the rest of it, but also with marketing and with anything 'virtual' - because neptune creates falsity, or a mimic of reality. I work as a web designer so this seemed to really work for me when I used my own chart. Let's hope it works here. I guess the only truly confident answer I'd give is that chart 3 is not the pianist.

Just reading through the replies properly now. A lot of people thought chart 3 was the most obvious. I really don't see it to be honest.
Mark wrote:Good point. That trine of both Venus and Mercury is stronger in chart 2.
The only thing is that they're combust. What do you think? Can a combust venus and mercury signify a pianist properly?
I'm leaning more toward the angular venus sextile the MC with Mercury trine it both free of combustion as being just a slightly better fit now, especially as venus and mercury both sextile one another. What do you think?
I also wonder with that mercury influence if this person is also writes music. Something about mercury and venus just strikes me better as a fit for a pianist which is why I leaned towards charts 1 and 2 originally. I know a lot of people see chart 3 as being the pianist but I just think that's the last chart I would have put forward as a pianist. It's a mars ruled chart with sun and saturn aspecting the MC - that just seems more like the sports player or the cardinal to me. I don't think sun and saturn would signify pianist.

Btw Tom I'm glad the other professions are so different. I'd have struggled a lot more if it was a designer, a pianist and an author for example. I think a sports person and a cardinal are a perfectly different mix of careers. Saying that, this was still really difficult and I'm not at all sure of my answers here. But I've kind of obsessed over it a little because I do think that if astrology has any merit we should be able to see things like this in the chart. We shoudl surely be able to differentiate a pianist from an american football player right? That's if we think we can see career in the chart of course. Things like this make astrology a lot more interesting.

I see that there's a lot of people who say the career is important.
But in the clerical world, it's known that there are also very ambitious men, who strive for a career and climb up the ladder to the highest post they can achieve.

the cardinal doesn't really have a career in wordly society, but in his own world (the catholic church). Sun below the horizon in 6th house. He's in a kind of service to others, but not known to general society.

I'm thinking chart 3 for the musician, because of that Moon in Leo and performing before a public is important for him. Venus is combust, but in own sign and 11th house, a good fortune house. Someone with such a stellium in Libra is highly creative, imaginative too.

The football player has Sun under the horizon but in 5th house. He just loves sports, is talented there. Mercury in Sagittarius must give him a physical talent for sports too. And Mercury as ruler of the 11th in the 5th, a team sport, no individual sport.

So all 3 of them have a career in their own field. I'm just trying to find the specific talent or interest they have :

the pianist : highly creative Libra stellium, Moon in Leo. Performer
the football player : lots of fire, physically strong, teamplayer
the cardinal : just the feeling of Venus in Capricorn, Jupiter in Virgo...ambitious, critical, hard working. Sun in 6....and Moon in spiritual Scorpio

I'll probably be completely wrong, but terribly impatient to finally know !

I've compiled some popular answers so far we can amend and update it as we go along or as people change their minds.

Pianist
Chart One:
Paul, Nixx, Deb, Yuriy, Mark, Pisces_girl, Vasanth, NatanEpsilon, margherita

Chart Two:
james_m

Chart Three:
Madeleine, varuna2, pankajdubey

Cardinal
Chart One:
Madeleine, varuna2

Chart Two:
Paul

Chart Three:
Nixx, Deb

Footballer
Chart Two:
Madeleine, varuna2, Nixx, Deb

Chart Three:
Paul
Last edited by Paul on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

about chart number 1

With both lord of the MC and lord of the 7th in Virgo, below the horizon, does not look to me as someone who looks for the spotlights, or admiration. More like a hard worker, but in a more modest way...a devoted religious man doing his duty.
Venus in Capricorn : keeping his feelings under control, duty comes first. A catholic priest is not allowed to marry.
I just can't see this chart as a sensitive, creative, performing pianist.

chart number 2

Mars in scorpio in an angular house. A competitive man, wants to win.
I'm looking at second house lord Mercury in 5th (income through sports)

chart number 3 :

Moon in Leo is also telling us something about the mother. I think a kind of Leo-mother, rich, glamourus, artistic..looks like the kind of mother who would let her child learn piano.
Pisces on the IC could be he comes from an artistic family home. Troublesome relationship between the mother and the father, with an absent father as result. The boy lacking self confidence and needing attention and admiration (Moon in Leo)
Can't help it, but I can see this chart as the pianist. Allthough he may not be famous (Sun in 12)

Interestingly most people think chart one is the musician, and NOBODY thinks chart one is the football player.

It'll be interesting if chart one is indeed the football player.

On the issue of career, how many people genuinely believe career/profession can be seen in the chart and how confident would we normally claim to be, if not put to the test, to get roughly the area of profession a person would take based on the chart. Like if the pianist's chart weren't music, perhaps some other field in the arts, as distinct from sports or the religious life.

If it turns out you're wrong, will it shake your faith in being able to determine career from the chart?