Lord of Geniture question

after re-reading the topic Lord of Geniture, I have a couple of questions I hope you find worthy of discussion.

1)using your planets beficially. for instance, if you had a Saturn L O G, or Venus, in a particular house, and it is obvious to the astrologer that you are NOT using your abilities how would you go about changing that? I suppose that seems esoteric, but it comes from my personal attempts at growth. I am quite certain that I have purposely stunted some of my abilities .... (any useful books out there on this subject?)

2)I have always thought that Astrology was a tool to help you to forsee stumbling blocks and hopefully overcome them, to find beneficial aspects and hopefully use them to your advantage, and now I see too a useful tool for helping one in daily planning. Some have argued that there is no choice it is pre-ordained, but I suggest that several people were born at the same day and time that Hitler and Manson were and did NOT also become monsters, so I would disagree, so the question here is how do we use astrology to make better life decisions?

I know some of this has been discussed elsewhere, I am hoping ot bring it to one coherant discussion here... :)

MissB

I quite like what Dane Rudhyar had to say about this. Paraphrasing what he said - 'Events cannot be foretold accurately but the conditions needed by an individual to grow to full stature as an individual can be pre-diagnosed.' I don't believe that any amount of transits, progressions, etc. will ever make something happen but it can set the conditions to make it possible.

But I also find what the Stoics have to say about Fate quite interesting. Even though they believed strongly in the idea that things are preordained, they believed that choice was still available on some level. What will happen will happen but it makes a difference to the quality of our lives as to how we go about this. We can go our own way and conflict with nature thereby suffering grief and disappointment or we can walk with Fate and achieve true peace. The reason they believed so strongly in astrology is they saw that the best way to do this was to live life in accordance with the cosmic sympathies.

Picking up on Sue?s stoic angle, one of the reasons why I liked Scott Peck?s ?Road Less Travelled? was that it opened up right from the start with the unequivocal statement: life is hard. The stoics didn?t believe that we could change anything that was preordained for us ? not by prayer, good conduct, divination (of which they strongly approved) or by any other means. Only acceptance of limitations brought peace and a calm spirit that gave the strength to bear adversity with grace.

Most people don?t want to be told that it?s not in their destiny to have this or that. We live in an era where we are constantly pounded with marketing messages that tell us we can have it all, and more, if we just want it strongly enough. We can have the perfect family, home, partner, bank balance, sex life, social life, career, health, indulge our luxuries, give out 120% motivation at all times, improve our efficiency, control other people, stay slim, and banish wrinkles. Actually we can?t. If there is a strong planet in your chart that you think is always bringing you discomfort perhaps the first thing to accept is that it might be pointing to an area of life that is always going to be challenging or a little barren. This is not a message of doom, just a comment on reality ? some people have to live with the pain of losing children, some people long for relationships that they can lose themselves in but never find that, some people could do so much if they only had the health to match their ambitions. We are all burdened in one way or another so ? getting esoteric ? we have to find the peace of mind to tolerate the harder aspects of our life through making a realistic balance between hope and expectation. I do believe that when we stop straining to turn limitations into outright successes, learn to live with the shit and focus on the blessings, everything eases, and even that badly afflicted planet that always triggers trouble doesn?t seem so bad.

When you say that it might be obvious someone is not using abilities connected to a planet, do you mean you want to know how to make that planet work better to give you a nicer set of circumstances? Or do you mean you want to build your own character so that you can cope better with whatever it throws at you? In either case Scott Peck?s book is always worth a read.

planetary ignorance...

Deb"When you say that it might be obvious someone is not using abilities connected to a planet, do you mean you want to know how to make that planet work better to give you a nicer set of circumstances? Or do you mean you want to build your own character so that you can cope better with whatever it throws at you? In either case Scott Peck?s book is always worth a read."

In my case I know that I shut out many of the difficulties (and I think blessings) of Saturn. Saturn is not necessarily in a bad place in my chart, but I know I that there are things relative to Saturn that I am just not dealing with and have shut out since childhood. Its just been made more clear recently. For one thing, Saturn tries to dominate any chart I look at so he must be trying to get my attention... (I know I look at things through a strange window)

MissB

Well it sounds like you are doing everything right because you are really thinking about it and starting to notice things that escaped your attention before. Surely that suggests you are working with the energy positively.
Perhaps this Saturn pull is about getting you to look again at any boundaries you've created around yourself, and considering whether they're still appropriate?

PS - anyone who reads my post above will understand why I hate working with natal charts - most people are just not ready for my 'let me kick you in the teeth with this' approach :lol:

kick me in the teeth, or try anyway.

I'm afraid I'm one of those people who prefers direct answers. I dont get easily offended (anymore, something I worked on about 7 years ago, seems to have worked pretty well) There are a few people who know how to push my buttons, but mostly my youngest, the scorpion whos sun is quincunx mine... else I pretty much try to look at what one has to offer in opinion and see how it relates. Occaisionally I screw up and discard info I should have paid more attention to, but generally when offered a blatant oppinion I can better see how I might be missing something. I dont like flying blind, so to speak. If I get quiet for a while, it generally means i"m thinking something over, not sulking. When I'm done thinking occaisionally I come back with a spate of questions just when you thought the conversation was over! That seems to be a place where people misread me sometimes.

note: If I do sulk, it is usually over something really stupid, like they ran out of walnut struedle before I got to the coffee shop this morning. Otherwise my aries shows, I blow up and forget about it. :)
(and then wonder what people are cranky about)

MissB

Picking up on Sue?s stoic angle, one of the reasons why I liked Scott Peck?s ?Road Less Travelled? was that it opened up right from the start with the unequivocal statement: life is hard. The stoics didn?t believe that we could change anything that was preordained for us ? not by prayer, good conduct, divination (of which they strongly approved) or by any other means. Only acceptance of limitations brought peace and a calm spirit that gave the strength to bear adversity with grace.

Most people don?t want to be told that it?s not in their destiny to have this or that. We live in an era where we are constantly pounded with marketing messages that tell us we can have it all, and more, if we just want it strongly enough. We can have the perfect family, home, partner, bank balance, sex life, social life, career, health, indulge our luxuries, give out 120% motivation at all times, improve our efficiency, control other people, stay slim, and banish wrinkles. Actually we can?t. If there is a strong planet in your chart that you think is always bringing you discomfort perhaps the first thing to accept is that it might be pointing to an area of life that is always going to be challenging or a little barren. This is not a message of doom, just a comment on reality ? some people have to live with the pain of losing children, some people long for relationships that they can lose themselves in but never find that, some people could do so much if they only had the health to match their ambitions. We are all burdened in one way or another so ? getting esoteric ? we have to find the peace of mind to tolerate the harder aspects of our life through making a realistic balance between hope and expectation. I do believe that when we stop straining to turn limitations into outright successes, learn to live with the shit and focus on the blessings, everything eases, and even that badly afflicted planet that always triggers trouble doesn?t seem so bad.
these are probably the wisest words i've read in ages-- (trying to come to peace with my fucked up 7th house -- reaching the point where i see it as an opportunity to learn to accept with buddhist serenity that what apparently is my fate. and learn to use the frustrations and disappointments there as opportunities for inner growth)