The Life & Work of Vettius Valens
by Deborah Houlding
Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Horary on Admissions.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spicav

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Horary on Admissions. Reply with quote

Hi!
I am wondering if anyone can help me with interpreting horary for admission. This chart has significator at 29 degrees Virgo. And It is the same significator of the 9th house (higher studies) = mercury. I am not sure what this means.

Mercury being in the 3rd house is in a good place. But it is in Sagittarius, which also points to a place of higher learning. Incidentally, Jupiter is in the 9th house! And in Gemini too. Seems like there is some mutual dignity reception! But Jupiter opposes mercury.

Part of Fortune is in the 12th but in VIRGO. What this tells me is there is some fortune in mercurial matters.

NN and venus are conjunct in the 2nd house, widely conjunct Mercury. Does this come to mean that the questor loves what he is about to do? Love + Destiny + Mercury = as in it's fated?

Can someone help unravel this mysterious, quixotic chart? It seems to be very tellingly accurate about the nature of the question.

It is interesting that the questor asked at the exact moment before the ASC moves out of Virgo, which tells me that it is the final moment (application submitted, cannot be changed).. and also, they are worried about the higher studies.

I think the question was excluded from this:

It is "Will I be admitted to this College?"
Geoffrey

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Spicav

There is an error in the URL for the chart. There is a question mark before 'jpg' where there should be a full stop. The URL works when the error is corrected - Ah, I see you fixed that!

As you say the ascendant is 'late', that is within 3 degrees of the end of the sign. This is a general indicator that the chart is not safe to be read. The possible reasons for a late ascendant vary from the matter being already decided, to the question not being serious or even frivolous, depending on who you read.

Given the "mysterious" and "quixotic" nature of the chart as you see it, it is probably better to turn off as the exit sign as indicated, and wait until another question serves you better.

Geoffrey
spicav

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Geoffrey
You are most probably right though. It is so strange that ASC is exactly at 29 Degree Virgo, 3 minutes to exiting the sign.

This question came to me when I was uber worried about the situation at hand (signified by the moon in sag receiving a disturbance from Uranus in the 7th). It is safe to say that this question was thought of in a whim, and it wasnt one that came by inspiration, rather it was an urgent question that was posed on a whim to be dissected through horary.

However, the chart is extremely fitting to the question, albeit late. I am thinking since the application for grad school has been submitted, and will be reviewed in less than a month, the late ASC is pretty fitting...

In any case, if the ASC is taken as "fated" or "decided", what would anyone think of the chart's answer? It does look quite positive, doesn't it? The significator Mercury doesn't receive any bashing from malevolent planets in this case..

what do u think? for the sake of interpreting this chart (whose elements of Mercury, Jupiter, Sag and Gemini are SOoo appropriate by the way)
Geoffrey

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spicav wrote:

what do u think? for the sake of interpreting this chart (whose elements of Mercury, Jupiter, Sag and Gemini are SOoo appropriate by the way)

Well, Mercury's next contact is with Jupiter in the 9th, and there is a mutual reception by sign. Jupiter is ruler of the 4th, the 'end of the matter', and Jupiter is in the 9th, so could be given as a significator of the quesited, the admission to the College, a 9th house matter. Too, Mercury is conjunct Venus which gives aid to the cause. Part of Fortune is on the ascendant. So, there is testament that you get the place.

But... Mercury is applying to an opposition to Jupiter which is in detriment and retrograde. Jupiter is also just separating from a contra-antiscion to Mars, just to put the boot in. The Jupiter which disposes both Mercury and the Moon is not in good shape. Too, the Moon is combust in conjunction with the Sun (albeit also separating) and both luminaries are at the bottom of the chart. These are contra-indications which show the matter goes slowly or not at all.

Mercury's square to Neptune, also disposed by Jupiter, would seem to indicate that you are not in possession of all the facts about the college and the course, and that things are not what they seem. Barbara Watters says that "retrograde planets always lie" and the planet on which this chart is focussed, Jupiter, is retrograde. This looks to me like if you get in, it will not be what you expected or what you want.

But, the warnings against judgement of horary charts are there for a reason. The late ascendant is such a warning, and so is the fact that Jupiter, ruler of the 7th, is impedited. Unless the chart shouts out its radicality in other ways so that it is hard to ignore, it is perhaps wise to do just that.

Geoffrey
johannes susato

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoffrey wrote:
But, the warnings against judgement of horary charts are there for a reason. The late ascendant is such a warning, and so is the fact that Jupiter, ruler of the 7th, is impedited. Unless the chart shouts out its radicality in other ways so that it is hard to ignore, it is perhaps wise to do just that.

The radicality could be given for example, if the querent is about 29 years old. (See Lilly, CA, p. 122:
"If 27, 28, or 29 dgrees ascend of any Signe, itís no wayes
safe to give judgment, except the Querent be in yeers corres-
ponding to the number of degrees ascending;"
)

But even if you would get radicality you had to look for an aspect or mutual reception between the Moon, your co-significator, and Mercury, lord 9. But there is none.

If Geoffrey were right taking Lord 4 to look for the outcome, then why looking for significators of the question at all? We could always look at lord 4 instead. Shocked

Are you really sure of the time, spicav?

Johannes
johannes susato

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following quotation is as nice as proper so that I could not deprive you of it.
Lilly, CA, p. 122:
"You must also be wary, when in any question propounded
you find the Cusp of the seventh house afflicted, or the Lord of
that house Retrograde
or impedited, and the matter at that
time not concerning the seventh house, but belonging to any
other house, itís an argument the judgment of the Astrologer
will give small content, or any thing please the Querent
; for
the seventh house generally hath signification of the Artist."

Johannes
Geoffrey

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johannes susato wrote:

"You must also be wary, when in any question propounded
you find the Cusp of the seventh house afflicted, or the Lord of
that house Retrograde
or impedited, and the matter at that
time not concerning the seventh house, but belonging to any
other house, itís an argument the judgment of the Astrologer
will give small content, or any thing please the Querent
; for
the seventh house generally hath signification of the Artist."

Johannes

Exactly so Johannes....

Geoffrey
Geoffrey

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johannes susato wrote:

If Geoffrey were right taking Lord 4 to look for the outcome, then why looking for significators of the question at all? We could always look at lord 4 instead. Shocked

I fear that the abbreviated delineation I gave earlier was misleading, so I will give a fuller account of my thought processes here:

Many people over-do the forth house 'end of the matter' as a significator in horary questions and I am wary of it. But I was impressed here that Mercury's next contact was an opposition to Jupiter and Mercury is in mutural reception with Jupiter. You can't ignore that very powerful linking between Mercury, ruler of the ascendant, and Jupiter, - especially as Jupiter is in the 9th house of higher learning.

A problem with this chart is that the Moon is not showing us a way forward. The ruler of the 9th is Mercury, the natural significator of learning, but Mercury also rules the ascendant and with the Moon sitting on the sidelines, we need Mercury as the querent's significator. So, we need to look around for another significator for the quesited. Jupiter is in the 9th house, so is a candidate for the quesited here. Jupiter disposes both luminaries, and Mercury the querent. Jupiter is the only (traditional) planet above the horizon and seems to be the focus of this chart. Jupiter seems to stand out as the choice for the quesited here, but as additional testament, Jupiter is ruler of the 4th house, the 'end of the matter'.

Geoffrey
dastars

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In cases where the querent and the quesited are ruled by the same planet I use the Moon for the querent.

With that in mind:

The querent is blinded by combustion and is likely confused about the situation.

The querent will not go to this school because there is no aspect joining the Moon to Mercury, and he will not want to go to this school in the fist place since the Moon is in Mercury's detriment. The querent will realize that at some point (indicated by the Moon leaving combustion). Additionally, as soon as the Moon is able to see again it will be in its own detriment.

The querent's application could be Jupiter (lord 3) in the 9th in mutual reception with Mercury. It will be accepted but I'm not sure about approved. The opposition and debility of the two planets do not look encouraging to me.

I think that either the application will not be approved or it will be approved but there will be no desire to go to this school anyway. In rare cases have I seen things turn out well with the querent's significator being combust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Horary & Electional Astrology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: