Astrology and the Stock Market

Just a little aside on the similarities between the way pundits on Wall Street predict the stock market and the way astrologers use astrology as a predictive tool. Basically there really isn't much difference between the two. In fact, some would say astrology is just as good if not better. In the late 1980's when individuals in the USA were starting there own investment portfolios and retirement vehicles there were a lot of astrologers on television claiming to predict the future of the market by using astrology. As the times in this country changed, you don't see that on television anymore, but you can find it most everywhere else.

As a person who is in the business of "buying and selling", I have studied both fundamental and technical market analysis. They usually have always ended each lesson by telling us that the stock market is not predictable. Yet thousands if not more people make their living by predicting the stock market.

Fundamental analysis looks at the health of a company, the economy of the country, and the spread sheets etc. as well as several other factors too numerous to go into here to decide the direction of a stock. It looks at the past on paper to predict the stock of the company going forward.

Technical analysis is very interesting, in that it looks at charts of the stock as it moved in the market over time. Based on these past charts and what some might say arbitrary rules and symbols, a technical analyst reads the charts and decides in which direction that stock should move going forward. This is also a simplistic explanation of technical analysis, but an explanation all the same. Both these methods are very much accepted on Wall Street.

So what is so mystical about using astrology to predict? To predict an event, a life direction, or even the stock market? Having studied both stock analysis and astrology, there really isn't much difference; with the exception that the former is embraced and the latter, especially in the western world, is not.

My point is that the question of whether or not astrology works is no more answerable than the question whether or not fundamental analysis or technical analysis of the stock market works. It does and it doesn't. It depends on who the analyst (astrologer) is, and even then they are not right all the time - mainly because they read the charts wrong. Or they missed something in the chart or the fundamentals.

I personally find this very interesting, and thought I would submit it here as food for thought.
Debra

And, of course, the most famous stock market trader, W D Gann, used astrology as one of his tools of prediction for the stock market. You won't see this mentioned in his courses costing thousands of dollars nor the computer programs designed in his name to predict market cycles. It was well known at the time that Gann was using astrology but it was put down to part of his more 'unconventional' leanings. I suspect that, as time goes one, the mention of astrology will disappear altogether from his teachings.

It makes a lot of sense that these can be seen in a similar way. Both relate to the prediction of cycles. There is quite a number of financial astrologers who use the methods of Gann and others. It wouldn't surprise me to learn (in fact, I know it's true) that some of the most successful traders today use astrology clandestinely, a bit like great scientists of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries using alchemy secretly.

I can certainly see your point about whether astrology/stock market analysis works. Too many variables to ever know conclusively.

Mass psychology drives the markets. Do people feel optimistic or pessimistic? Do they want to leap out and take a chance, or hold on tight? Astrology is a perfect fit for taking the temperature of the masses.

My study of astrology and the stockmarket commenced in 1987. Along a many years venture into this field some people suggested that it would be ethically wrong to use astrology to predict the markets. In the same manner as if I were applying psychic skills to pick the scoredraws for this next Saturday footballmatches. However, I argued that applying astrology to the markets was not the same and could be a dead-honest approach to astrology - if you wanted to see whether you were getting your astrology right or wrong. Put your money where your mouth is and either you make money or you loose.

It was also my opinion at the time that many less serious practitioners of astrology tended to waffle along in the reading of a birthchart without having the slightest clue of what they were talkning about. My example would be an astrologer convoying a client of all the natal benefits to be reaped from a trine between the Sun in Taurus and the Moon in Capricorn (albeit the Moon in her detriment), when in reality this trine was cast through signs of short ascension and could also be shown to coinside with the exact moment a plane collided with a mountain top leaving no survivors.

Astrology may be made useful when approaching the stockmarket but it doesn't give all the answers. Not at my level of practice, anyhow. But you can use astrology to pinpoint the broader picture (if you can spend time to understand cycles lasting upto 3, 7 or 12 years etc.) and you may also use it to evaluate sudden swings during a trading day. However, every aspect that the Moon makes does not propell market value in a new direction - and you should have used your astrology to reach an understanding of the broader picture first. Also, I must mention that different wave movements, impulses or trends have different characters - so if you think your good at astrology - you still have to have a flexible mind.

One of the methods I applied was trying to work out how the market would impuls on the release of certain key-figures. Now this was interesting and I soon discovered the validity of aspects cast through signs of long and short ascension! I have articles on this matter on net from www.astronor.com/keyfigures Off hand I recall one instance where I correctly predicted a set of good figures to be released from the US upon a trine cast between the Moon and Venus through signs of short ascension. The figures were terrific!! But then learning comes heavy because the market responed negative due to fear of increased intrest rates. The figures were TOO GOOD!

A horary chart may be the correct approach to evaluate whether you have reached the correct point for either entering or exiting from a market position. And during a trading day you will also observe how sentiment may fluctate as price-evaluation moves in accord with the dignities seen in the south, or through the movement of ascendant and descendant and changing roles of buyer and seller. ( And hey! Scorpio and Aquarius are none-accumalative signs! ) But wake up!! If you haven't got eye on that broader picture, if you don't understand the spread in offer and bid prices of market and marketmaker - you will soon fall short of both astrological and astronomical fortunes.

Yes, the market can be predicted - and I was employed as an astrologer/financial analyst for an investmentfund fund in Norway in 1999 and predicted that the company should exit the market in the latter half of March 2000. But they didn't... And I can also report, that even with enlightment of astrology the psychology of the market will still do its best to ride you into directions you never intended. It's a bit like this - even the best of astrologers experience divorces! But nobody has suggested that anyone or even anything has to be infallible to prove is usefulness.

One one the reasons I started investigating financial astrology was because I didn't feel astrology or astrologers were getting the respect they truly deserved. To a certain point everybody seemed to be taking the mickey out of astrology - suggesting that either it couldn't be proven or didn't even work. But people were interested in money and I also discovered that both analysts and investors seem to be more occupied with the fact that things worked rather than how they worked. As long as they were making money - that kept them happy. And the occasional prediction of a stockmarket crash - that gave the masses something to chew on, too.

Debra
I totally agree with your analysis - that there is no conceptual difference between predicting the markets with astrology or with other technical analysis - both rely on the extrapolation of the patterns of probablilty of past events to the future. The advantage is that (major meteors etc aside) the planetary paths' probablilities are likely to be more predictable that many other methods. Only the interpretation requires work. I think it is a huge joke that governments employ so many economists, and banks so many financial analysts, to predict the future whilst at the same time painting astrologers, doing the same thing, as crazy. Either it is possible to predict the future of markets and economies, in which case astrology should at least be a seriously researched contender, or it is not possible and no one should bother using any method!

I have reasonable success at market forecasting- especially wider economic trends and currencies - my restriction is sadly I have insufficient initial investment to make trading worthwhile! The problem I find is the number of factors that it is necessary to take into account to raise the accuracy statistics. I start with outer planets and move inwards to find short term timing issues. I have given up on simple models that only consider two or three factors. But even so I still miss things sometimes and kick myself when i look back and see what it was I left out of the equation. I am the opinion that astrological forecasting is extremely accurate if sufficient factors are taken into account simutaneously, the astrologer is good enough and the astrologer understands markets etc. I also agree with AJ Bevan - when it comes down to it people who want to make money don't really care how as long as it happens!

Stock market update

International markets peaked on January 2. 2007. I anticipated this might happen. This was a similar peak on May 10. and 11. 2006. To take the Norwegian market as the specific example, the OBX index made a top on May 11. 2006 and again on September 7. 2006. This reflected the exact interval of 4 lunar cycles. Again there was an equal interval of 4 lunar cycles from the top of September 7. 2006 to the top of January 2. 2007.

From a technical perspective I am now monitoring the market for the evidence of possible strength that can take the market above previous high in an accelerating motion. January 19 is mentioned as a possible top by many analysts. This is interesting because we now look forward to the solar eclipse that is due two months later on March 19. This eclipse is a member of the Saros cycle that commenced on August 21. 1664. This occured in the degree of Regulus and would indicate a sudden rize of something to be short lived and that is due to come equally sudden down.
http://www.astronor.com

Greetings, many comments/questions bellow...

Debra- did you find any one particular book more enlightening than another in your research, either astrologically or just market wise?

Kirk, well sorta, The biggest problem with the Great depression was that people were too afraid to spend money, so no spending, no money making. But there are also products adn services that are more likely to be bought and sold than others, which requires some careful thought I would think.

Sue, is there any info on Gann's astrological practices available?

Andrew, wouldn't you think that it isn't just the market as a whole but has to do with the charts of the companies involved? for instance some companies thrived even in a dank economy in the depression, and other companies you might think would flourish, especially in a good economy just tank! just a thought? Interesting Lunar Cycle note will have to have a look!

Thanks in advance for responses! Granny

Granny! Yes. There are always some companies that go against the trend. But the trend does ever such a lot for the market fever. If someone wants to track 100 different charts to find the company that will fight the trend then that is OK by me - but I will be busy doing something else. I do not quite get how events of major impact that sway the collective sentiment can be expected to show up in the charts of individual companies. In the instance of wonderful configurations taking place in your own chart, the good that could be expected would be reduced if everyone around you is in poverty or filled with anxiety.
http://www.astronor.com

Sue, is there any info on Gann's astrological practices available?
I will have to check on that, Granny. I would imagine that someone has written something. It would make interesting reading. While he was considered to be an excellent player of the stock market, he was also thought of as a bit of a nutcase because of the astrology. One bit of writing said something like
His not-of-this-world approach (yes his theories include planetary aspects), coupled with a fathomless writing style, makes studying Gann an exercise that could drive one to kicking the family pet.

If you want to check out some of his ideas there is plenty on the net about him. You can narrow it down to Gann and astrology.

I would imagine that Ray Merriman and Bill Meridan will be quite familiar with his techniques, not to mention Andrew.

Sue, thanks, i'll have a look!

Andrew, It seemed to me the companies that thrived in the depression were ones that either made people think they "couldn't live" without that product, or ones that made you feel you were getting a real deal, and of course things you really couldn't do well without.

so I think I'd look towards companies that had incredible marketing ploys to do well, like Coke. would that be strong 3rd house connections?

okay just a thought I'm very much a novice in this area I admit, but I do find it fascinating.

Granny