Re: Mix and match?

lihin wrote: only Claudius Ptolemy's key and what is now called the 'Naibod' key, named after the German mathematician, astronomer-astrologer Herr Valentin Naboth, were used. lihin
Sorry, but Ptolemy Key is not Naibod Key!

1Year=1? Ptolemy key Koeffizent =1
Naibod: 59' 8.33'' = 1Year,
1? =1.01456164 Years, Koeffizent =1.01456164

page 35 in Prim?rdirektionen I, by Rumen Kolev

Wolfgang

Re: Primaries - key of Naibod

margherita wrote:
Graham Fox wrote: The problem for me is that if Naibod works for the reasons given, then the key of Brahe/Kepler (true solar RA arc -birthday) or even that of Placidus (true solar RA arc over X days) should surely work even better - but they don't, quite the contrary, at least for me.
I believe that the preference about a key or another is strictly personal. In Cieloeterra they use the placidian key and it works quite well. Others like Martin prefer Naibod. Two different experiences....

I tend to use keys in a "historical" way, Ptolemy with semi-arc, placidian with mundane or under-the- pole because I'm not persuaded one really works better than another. I'm agnostic:) , I just try to be faithful to the authors.

margherita
Your blog tells many usefull guides about using Morinus. It seems to me that Naibod is better for many cases though it can't pinpoint quite the day which is not so important. With ptolemy or under the pole, sometimes I can get very exact days, but also far away with other cases.

What follows is from Rumen Kolev's booklet Primary Directions I page 37.
There are three theories concerning the keys. The first and most simple is that one, and only one, key is "the right"key for anyone. This is the credo of the majority of astrolgoers who practiced or practice the primaries.

Another one's (sic) belief is that for a given person there is on effective key and this may happen to be any of the aforementioned keys.

The third theory accepts the possibility that several keys may be found effective. The combination of the efficient keys in different charts can be different. For one person Ptolemy and Kepler may work, for another - Naibod and Placidus. The author [i.e. Kolev] is a proponent of this las theory. In most cases I have observed high efficiency with the four static keys. For beginners I recommend to use first Ptolemy, and then try Synodic, Cardan, and Naibod. With an extrovert, I usually try first Naibod (based on the solar year). With an introvert, Ptolemy or the Synodic (0.98435) may be found efficient.
The Synodic Key is Kolev's idea. It is based on the mean lunar year.