Essential Dignity-Qualitative or Quantitative?

I was wondering how people regard planets in essential dignity. What is this telling us about a planet? In general everyone would see Venus in Taurus as being a harmonious placement for that planet. So the placement conditions how the planet potentially manifests.

However, what about the strength of a planet to influence affairs in a chart? Does essential dignity make a planet 'stronger' or simply modify how it manifests its essential nature?

Is essential dignity telling us anything about power to act or is it better understood as reflecting the the motivation of a planet?

Do you see essential dignity as a qualitative or quantitative issue or is it both?

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

I'd say it doesn't even show motivation, just how independant a planet can be. When in another's place, they have to play by others' rules, when in their own places, they behave the way they wish to. Venus is always going to try and be Venus, it is obviously much easier for her to do so when she is in her own places.

I see the planets as being without motivation for anything other than their own natures, the duties given by way of the house positions and rulerships show where those natures are directed and their interactions via apsects show how aided or obstructed they are in trying to be themselves.
http://www.esmaraldaastrology.wordpress.com

Definitely qualitative. "Strength" probably isn't a good word for a dignity, though I'm certainly guilty of using that word sometimes. House placement could be considered quantitative though.

Qualitative.

I believe I've already defended this position before here in the forum, but this discussion is always interesting.

All in all, Dignities, Joys and even Sect are, in my view, all matters of qualitative expression, and the only way to gauge strength for a planet is through it's angular position.
Paulo Felipe Noronha

I'm going to say qualitative as well, however I also think that something with greater 'togetherness' to it can also have more power to act, so I'd be open to thinking of a well placed planet in its own sect and dignities as having less struggle attached to it and more ability to act to its best interests and nature and so a side effect could be a boost to its power to act (its quantitative strength).

I must be getting old. I find myself agreeing with everyone here. :(

As we seem to have total consensus on my first issue let me open up another question.

While I understand the reasons for the traditional distinction between essential and accidental dignity I think this qualitative vs quantitative is not taught enough.

Apart from house placement do you think there any other ways in which the power or overall 'strength' of a planet can be increased in a chart?

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Apart from house placement do you think there any other ways in which the power or overall 'strength' of a planet can be increased in a chart?
What about aspect with an angular planet ? Does that help? Especially when the aspect is an applying one.

Hi Mark,

I will list the factors that I think might help increase the planet's influence:
1. Aspect with Angular Planet especially with Reception
2. Tight Aspect to the Angles
3. Ruler/Almuten Angular
4. Good Solar phase - Morning / Evening Stars
5. Angular with respect to Part of Fortune (especially the 10th)

Vasanth

If the dispositor of a planet is angular and aspects it (reception), I would argue that the disposing planet "lifts" the succedent or cadent planet, helping it express its vocation. The level of struggle will depend on the type of the aspect, of course. Also, that does not happen due to the power of the planet itself, but because of the power of a "helping" planet.

Also, a simple aspect from another planet could be a helping hand as well, though it could not, if the planet is a malefic or has some kind of enmity towards said planet.
Paulo Felipe Noronha