Re: Lucky to have Skyscript

MorningSun wrote:
varuna2 wrote:
MorningSun wrote:
The world would not have Arabic numerals, if
Hello MorningSun,

To clarify, the Arabic numeral system:

"...is a positional decimal numeral system developed...by Indian mathematicians."

cheers
Yes, you are so right, the Arabs got the decimal number system from India! I knew the minute I typed it as Arabic numerals, that our Indian members would catch it, but I left it as it was!! Yes, India does deserve the credit! It was just transmitted through the Arabs.
Hello MorningSun,

I am not an Indian, merely just a good little iconoclastic kaliyuga degenerate who was trained in our indoctrinational institutions to embrace self-loathing hatred and spit on the graves and values of my ancestors, and so I studied their tactics of teaching suicide and now I use them against them.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to talk about myself again :D

Please do not hold me to what I say I am, because tomorrow I may be someone else, or rather, my identification with such descriptions will change; I watch these masks come and go. Life is in flux. I am small so I contain contradictions (opposite of Walt Whitman). The 'I-sense' attaches to these things, but if I was me when I was born, then how can I be me using these words and understandings I did not know then? Neti, neti?

Mulla Nasruddin was from a rural area and the first time he visited a large city he became worried about losing himself in the crowd. So when he went to sleep that night surrounded by strangers at a caravanserai, he tied a jar around his leg so when he woke up in the morning he would know which one was him. A practical joker noticed this and knew what he was thinking, so when Mulla fell asleep the joker untied the jar and tied it around his own leg and fell asleep nearby. When Mulla woke up and saw the jar tied to the joker's leg he panicked and woke him up and said, "If you are me, then who in the world am I?"

Here are some random astronomy/astrology/calendar "as above, so below" factoids or perhaps speculations for the day, which will not be expounded upon:

"Five hundred and forty doors are in Valhalla, Eight hundred Einheriar will at once from each door go when they issue with the wolf to fight" (The Lay of Grimnir,Younger Edda)

At ragnarok, 540 times 800 warriors or 432000 warriors will go forth from Valhalla to fight the forces of darkness.

There are traditionally (Satapatha Brahmana c.a. 3800 bce) said to be 432000 syllables in the rg veda.

4320000 is the number of a mahayuga, and a kalpa or 1000 mahayugas is 4320000000, both found in Indian literature.

The Great Circle of Ptolemy(?) contained 432000.

The Babylonian Berossus had 432000 years between the descent of god-kings and the flood.

Odysseus, with the help of Athena and his son and a couple others, destroyed 108 suitors of his wife, in the Odyssey.

?The number 108 is considered sacred by several Eastern religions?? From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_%28number%29

These numbers, found from Scandinavia to India, have been bothering and annoying and intriguing contemporary people for some time. There is some astronomical basis as well as anatomical basis for them. The rg veda (+7000 bce) implies sexagesimal maths, and the Indians further subdivided their days into 60 and into further subdivisions of 60 (i.e. it was more developed and expanded in India), whereas in the occident they mixed sexagesimal with 24, and somehow it was invented in 3000 bce by the Sumerians. Whoever controls the present, controls the past.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/arque ... a_disk.htm

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/fe ... ndar/15204

http://mathildasanthropologyblog.wordpr ... es-france/

cheers

My main aim in joining and participating in Skyscript has been to learn and explore the 'Art of Horary'. The members welcomed the novice like me in 2007 and guided my efforts. The page after page of William Lilly's 'Christian Astrology fascinates me.

About the Natal Astrology, I was taught by a Monk and the strange thing is that though the Zodiac he employed was Tropical and house system he used was Whole Sign, the techniques used are primarily 'Jyotish/Vedic'.

There are gems of astrology in Southern India, Himalayas, Tibetan Astrology (taught to Abbots and Lamas) and Nepal.

Unfortunately, it would be difficult to learn from any book. A teacher apart from astrological wisdom imparts his style and class which is essential in delineating a Birth Chart.
Regards

Morpheus

https://horusastropalmist.wordpress.com/

varuna2 wrote: I am not an Indian, merely just a good little iconoclastic kaliyuga degenerate who was trained in our indoctrinational institutions to embrace self-loathing hatred and spit on the graves and values of my ancestors, and so I studied their tactics of teaching suicide and now I use them against them.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to talk about myself again :D
varuna, thanks for bringing a good sense of humour to this place where ever you happen to reside!! i like mulla nasruddin stories too...

i wasn't aware of that info on the number 108. i know it has a connection to the number 5 - 1/5th of the circle being 72, while 1/2 of 72 is 36.. 72+36=108.. it shows up as an opposition on the 5th harmonic chart if someone were to have any 2 planets in this distance difference..

I think the Mullah is quite appropriate for the Philisophy section.
But there is a problem if you are seen lurking here :)
Reaching enlightenment
Nasreddin was walking in the bazaar with a large group of followers. Whatever Nasreddin did, his followers immediately copied. Every few steps Nasreddin would stop and shake his hands in the air, touch his feet and jump up yelling "Hu Hu Hu!". So his followers would also stop and do exactly the same thing.
One of the merchants, who knew Nasreddin, quietly asked him: "What are you doing my old friend? Why are these people imitating you?"
"I have become a Sufi Sheikh," replied Nasreddin. "These are my Murids (spiritual seekers); I am helping them reach enlightenment!"
"How do you know when they reach enlightenment?"
"That?s the easy part! Every morning I count them. The ones who have left ? have reached enlightenment!"
http://www.messagefrommasters.com/Jokes ... _part1.htm

wondering how am I going to post the next post as the 667th !! :???:

james_m wrote: i wasn't aware of that info on the number 108. i know it has a connection to the number 5 - 1/5th of the circle being 72, while 1/2 of 72 is 36.. 72+36=108.. it shows up as an opposition on the 5th harmonic chart if someone were to have any 2 planets in this distance difference..
James,

I have not studied much Hellene literature lately, and it was surprising to count the number of suitors and see 108, in the Odyssey recently, but I do not know if the 108 is found in more than one place in Hellene literature and if it is not then it could be a coincidence. If it is found explicitly stated in other Hellene literature, then the chance of it being a coincidence, and irrelevant, is almost zero.

The D-5 panchamsa chart is said to relate to authority and power, in jyotish, and is similarly calculated as the trimshamsa chart, but the standard calculation is different from the Addey system. The parivritti panchamsa chart might be the same as the Addey system.

pankajdubey wrote:I think the Mullah is quite appropriate for the Philisophy section.
But there is a problem if you are seen lurking here :)
Reaching enlightenment
Nasreddin was walking in the bazaar with a large group of followers. Whatever Nasreddin did, his followers immediately copied. Every few steps Nasreddin would stop and shake his hands in the air, touch his feet and jump up yelling "Hu Hu Hu!". So his followers would also stop and do exactly the same thing.
One of the merchants, who knew Nasreddin, quietly asked him: "What are you doing my old friend? Why are these people imitating you?"
"I have become a Sufi Sheikh," replied Nasreddin. "These are my Murids (spiritual seekers); I am helping them reach enlightenment!"
"How do you know when they reach enlightenment?"
"That?s the easy part! Every morning I count them. The ones who have left ? have reached enlightenment!"
http://www.messagefrommasters.com/Jokes ... _part1.htm

wondering how am I going to post the next post as the 667th !! :???:
That is what I like about the Mulla, can you imagine having a bunch of people bothering you to gain something which cannot be gained? Or alternatively, bothering someone else to gain something which cannot be gained?

Remember when Svetaketu was sent back to the gurukul by Uddalak and then he was sent to the forest alone until 400 cows turned into 1000.

hi varuna,

on the link you provided in your earlier post on the number 108 there were a number of connections that stood out to me, but the fact that it may have been considered some type of sacred number with its use in the martial arts as just one of a number of examples did capture my interest!

the 5th harmonic and the panchamsa chart are one and the same.. i don't know what the parivritti panchamsa chart is and if this is different from the panchamsa chart though. i would be curious to know your viewpoint on the significance of the divisional charts used in vedic and some sort of order of importance given them. i have always understood the 9th harmonic or navamsha chart to be most relevant.. where does the panchamsa chart sit in the hierarchy of divisional charts? thanks!
varuna2 wrote: James,

I have not studied much Hellene literature lately, and it was surprising to count the number of suitors and see 108, in the Odyssey recently, but I do not know if the 108 is found in more than one place in Hellene literature and if it is not then it could be a coincidence. If it is found explicitly stated in other Hellene literature, then the chance of it being a coincidence, and irrelevant, is almost zero.

The D-5 panchamsa chart is said to relate to authority and power, in jyotish, and is similarly calculated as the trimshamsa chart, but the standard calculation is different from the Addey system. The parivritti panchamsa chart might be the same as the Addey system.