Therese Hamilton wrote: "In Jyotish for the strength determination (Bala nirnay), Sripati's unequal house division is employed. This is identical to what is known as Porphyry house-division in west, although the cusp forms the beginning of the house, KP is probably the only Indian system that uses placidus and places cusp at the beginning of house. Whether it was influenced by the available Tables of Houses (Raphael's etc) is anyone's guess."

Posted by Rohiniranjan, 7 September 2013 on Sidereal_Astrology@yahoogroups.com
Hi Therese

I hope you are well !!
Concerning the house systems, the existing english translations of Parasara are both drawn mostly from the Sitaram Jha's text (as it is said in the introduction).
About this the astrologer Vinay Jha states that Santhanam (the english translator) choose Sitaram's version, which (VJ) says is not even a manuscript per se, because Santhanam disliked unequal house systems, and the Sitaram text OMITTED the whole chapter on bhavas..
This is according to Vinay Jha, so it results that the 2 translations of Parasara that are available in english DO NOT HAVE at all the chapter on Bhavas (Houses) that are in the 4 Hindi and Sanskrit Parasara manuscripts that he has seen and uses. These texts have a house system not named Sripati, but which is actually identical to Sripati though semingly anterior to Sripati. For Vinay Jha this house system is the original Indian system.
Vinay Jha's site has if I m not mistaken shown the pages of this Bhava chapter online in sanskrit.
Take care,
Pierre T

Hi again Therese

These english translations of manuscripts of Parasara are not going to come anytime soon. Who makes money translating this stuff ? Sagar or Ranjan probably arent.

Vinya Jha states that many of these are at the Oriental library fo some universities in sanskrit or Hindi. He has at his disposal several of them. And several researchers like Chandrashekhar Sharma who translated Lomasha also use these variant texts that we just dont have in english.
These are extremely important to my view, because not only the chapter on houses is missing, but there are many techniques with different calculations not available with Santhanam. Like variant ways to compute vargas, divinities for vargas, and variant calculations of the many dashas. For instance the conditional view of vimshottari is well known in those texts. For Ashottari, Kalachakra, most Jaimini Dashas similarly etc.

IN fact I'd go as far as saying that the english texts available in the west just skip the surface... Astrology for Idiots ? Unless some other European languages offer better choice which I doubt.