Mark wrote:Pankajdubey wrote:
The Vimshottari and nakshatra based dasas are calculated from the natal moon nakhatra.
This I know.

Pankajdubey wrote:
The Dasa lord lordship is decide from the ascendant.
That is the established practice look at vimshottari Dada phala descriptions in Brihatparashara hora.
This I didn't know.

I had assumed the BPH contained description of the nakshatra based dasa systems. Your saying it has a non-nakshatra system derived from the ASC?

Mark
Vimshottari which is a nakshatra based dasa is still analysed on the basis of planet's lordship fron the ascendant.

eg: Sun dasa- native begets son if the Sun is the lord of the 5th.

So, the strength of the dasa lord, it's lorsdhip, it's placement from lagna and it's mutual relation with the sub-division lord decides the issuse.

As far as vimshottari is concerned - you get decide the dasa running at birth from the janma nakshatra i.e from the moon nakshatra and then forget about the nakshatra and get on the lordship from the lagna etc.

There are other non nakshatra based dasas like Chara and Sthira dasa, these start from the lagna or the sign where lagna lord is placed and run for 10 years each making 120 years total.

PD

Pankajdubey wrote:
Vimshottari which is a nakshatra based dasa is still analysed on the basis of planet's lordship fron the ascendant.

eg: Sun dasa- native begets son if the Sun is the lord of the 5th.

So, the strength of the dasa lord, it's lorsdhip, it's placement from lagna and it's mutual relation with the sub-division lord decides the issuse.

As far as vimshottari is concerned - you get decide the dasa running at birth from the janma nakshatra i.e from the moon nakshatra and then forget about the nakshatra and get on the lordship from the lagna etc.
I see what you mean now. Its just the way you originally expressed it I thought you were discussing something else. Still, you never exactly dispense with the Nakshatras in this system do you? Ok the influence of the dasa lords is interpreted from the rasi chart. Nevertheless, you need to plot the exact position of the Moon in the Nakshatra at birth to correctly calculate maha dasa and sub-periods. Plus the planetary rulers of the Nakshatras dictate the order of the dasas. So it would seem more accurate to state that the calculation of dasa periods is exclusively Nakshatra based while delineation of their influence in a particular nativity is exclusively rasi chart based.

Pankajdubey wrote:
There are other non nakshatra based dasas like Chara and Sthira dasa, these start from the lagna or the sign where lagna lord is placed and run for 10 years each making 120 years total.
All the books I have so far encountered just go on about the vimshottari dasa without reference to other approaches. So thanks for the link you gave to various online texts including the BPHS. That was helpful.

I have seen online information on what appears to be a dasa system derived from Jaimini utilising a rasi dasa system called Narayana (aka Padakrama dasa)

I assume you saw my recent thread on this topic which I have retitled 'Non-Nakshatra Based Dasa systems''

http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7670

Perhaps you might be kind enough to post your last comments there? It probably fits there better anyway. We have obviously drifted a long way from Mr Snowden here. :)

Thanks

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly