Zodiac Uses on Mundane Forum

Hello Everyone,

I have always had a tolerant attitude to allowing people to post on the mundane forum using any zodiac they find compatible for them.

In the past sidereal participation on the forum was relatively low so there was never really much of an issue. However, I have noticed that we now seem to have a lot more sidereal posters. That is fine in itself.

What I am not so keen on is threads where people are using different zodiacs. In some cases the same poster may straddle tropical and sidereal charts. While such mutability may work for a small minority of astrologers I think most people prefer a clear line of thought following a tropical or sidereal frame of reference. I know some might argue that since we allow different house systems in the same thread the principle is similar for zodiacs. I fundamentally disagree. I think the choice of zodiac is probably the most basic distinction in differing approaches to astrology.

I am therefore proposing that from now on the forum the zodiac used by the original poster should be dictate the zodiac of follow up posts on a thread. I am not suggesting tropical astrologers cant post in a thread created by a siderealist or vice versa. However, the basic chart analysis will need to go with the zodiac of the original poster.

Comments, feedback?

Mark Cullen
Mundane Forum Moderator
Last edited by Mark on Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

hi mark,

thanks for raising this issue.. i was wondering about it myself, but it really is a reflection of where i am at presently with regard to zodiacs... i never thought i would get to this place, but it is where i find myself... perhaps i can spare others the uncertainty of all this by only pursuing one zodiac per thread topic... i like your analogy with house systems.. i think that is a pretty good way for others to understand the dilemma that some have with different zodiacs...

you are the first one to voice any concern over this.. however, i was wondering about it, so i thank you for wanting to discuss it.. i wonder what others think?

edit - spelling errors..
Last edited by james_m on Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tropical and Sidereal charts ?

Can anyone tell me in few sentences how we managed to get to two pretty different systems and why one is the better ?

Health wise for me the Vedic Zodiac is pretty well completely spot on and the Western dangerously inaccurate.

However for my Top Down Rolling Analysis for the Stock Markets the Western Zodiac seems to be better.

Umph ?

H

WooWoo wrote:
Can anyone tell me in few sentences how we managed to get to two pretty different systems and why one is the better ?
These are legitimate questions to wonder about but this isn't the kind of place to discuss them. Try the other forums if you want to get into the history or the merits of one system vs the other. Lets keep focused on mundane praxis here.

Thanks

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

James_M wrote:
you are the first one to voice any concern over this..
As moderator its my role to raise such concerns. Not so for average members. I am glad you took my comments in an open minded manner rather than reacting defensively. Frankly, the lack of my or any other moderator activity here for ages has made this area a fairly freewheeling zone where anything goes. I do appreciate the role you have personally had in keeping the forum an active place by constantly posting interesting and well researched material.

I am not proposing to make this a draconian ruling prohibiting the use of multiple zodiacs in one thread. However, I would ask posters like yourself to reflect on how confusing the tendency to rapidly shift between zodiacs can look to those who do not share your unconventional ability to embrace different zodiacs simultaneously.

There is also a separate issue of siderealists or tropicalists posting charts in an existing thread when the topic began with someone using a completely different zodiac. I see this more about following a consistent train of thought rather flipping off the topic in tangents. For example, when someone posts a horary chart in tropical astrology you don't expect other posters to disagree or seek another perspective with the original analysis using a fundamentally different zodiac.

Beyond all that as a tropicalist I also want to preserve spaces where tropical mundane astrology can be exclusively discussed since we have two other forums on Skyscript (Sidereal and Indian) where sidereal mundane analysis can also take place.

Mark

Thank you for addressing this issue, Mark. I confess it seems like this happens quite a lot in the natal and traditional forums. I don't see it much in the horary forum. Sometimes new members will post a chart using a different system without explaining it to others and I try to clarify what their technique is, though. I do find it is a bit disruptive in many other threads where the OP posts a tropical discussion and then the thread becomes dismissive of tropical and explains things with sidereal in a manner where posters feel it is superior, even when both systems have similar answers. We all have our favorite techniques, surely, but it isn't a contest.
Frankly, the lack of my or any other moderator activity here for ages has made this area a fairly freewheeling zone where anything goes. I do appreciate the role you have personally had in keeping the forum an active place by constantly posting interesting and well researched material.
This is probably the main reason why I still post and check up on threads too. Posters are often disruptive and disrespectful and there is no one to take care of out of control people, since even moderators do not have admin privileges. I wish the previous active members had not taken a mass exodus, but with the forums less active now it does seem like it might be better to shut them down if Deb is no longer able to maintain Skyscript. Her voice of wisdom is sadly lacking throughout the forums. The number and quality of posts in general have declined dramatically since I first joined over a decade ago.

hi tanit,

i am not sure if you read the comments, but it looks like you might not have.. i say this because of what you say in your post -
Tanit3333 wrote: the OP posts a tropical discussion and then the thread becomes dismissive of tropical.
that wasn't what mark was talking about, but perhaps you would like to talk about it.. i suppose that is a conversation you want to have?

as for your comment on shutting down skyscript... many have moved onto facebook, but i think that is not necessarily a permanent situation either... i don't think it would be a good idea to shut down skyscript.. we need alternatives to fb and stuff like that.. we see all this differently here... cheers james

that wasn't what mark was talking about, but perhaps you would like to talk about it.. i suppose that is a conversation you want to have?
I know that is not what he said, but it was my opinion. I can read, James.

Personally, I have decided to give up Skyscript. Moderating is a thankless and time consuming task.

tanit,

i know i have personally thanked you many times for your contribution to skyscript.. none of that has changed.. i am sorry you feel this way... maybe take a break and you can come back with a different and more positive attitude.. cheers james

WooWoo wrote:
Health wise for me the Vedic Zodiac is pretty well completely spot on and the Western dangerously inaccurate.

However for my Top Down Rolling Analysis for the Stock Markets the Western Zodiac seems to be better.

Umph ?
I just noticed this topic which began in August. I don't usually check the mundane forum, but it's interesting that Edgar Cayce recommended the Persian (sidereal) zodiac for individuals, but advised using the tropical zodiac for financial mundane affairs. (I don't have these EC Reading quotes at the moment.) This probably has to do with the equinoctial/solstice cycle. Perhaps all mundane affairs belong in the Tropical zodiac? I don't know as I've never been a mundane astrologer.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

Tanit wrote:
Thank you for addressing this issue, Mark. I confess it seems like this happens quite a lot in the natal and traditional forums. I don't see it much in the horary forum. Sometimes new members will post a chart using a different system without explaining it to others and I try to clarify what their technique is, though. I do find it is a bit disruptive in many other threads where the OP posts a tropical discussion and then the thread becomes dismissive of tropical and explains things with sidereal in a manner where posters feel it is superior, even when both systems have similar answers. We all have our favorite techniques, surely, but it isn't a contest.
I have to make clear I don't have a particular problem with any sidereal posters here on the mundane forum. However, I have seen this kind of 'astro-supremacist' posting elsewhere. But troublesome anti-social attitudes are not restricted to one choice of zodiac. I always recall something Deborah Houlding said to me which is that the best way to advocate your style of astrology is not by lecturing others but rather practising your astrology to the best of your ability.

Mark wrote:
Frankly, the lack of my or any other moderator activity here for ages has made this area a fairly freewheeling zone where anything goes. I do appreciate the role you have personally had in keeping the forum an active place by constantly posting interesting and well researched material.
Tanit wrote:
This is probably the main reason why I still post and check up on threads too. Posters are often disruptive and disrespectful and there is no one to take care of out of control people, since even moderators do not have admin privileges.
In reality this has always been an issue since I became a moderator in 2010. Moderators have never had Admin powers to suspend accounts. But the big change has been that Deb was always very supportive of the moderators. She was willing to trust the judgement of a particular moderator that an account needed suspended or removed altogether. She had a very pragmatic common sense outlook on banning people. No offence to Paul but when he is actually around he seems to want to engage in extended discussions with disruptive people before considering suspending them. There is no longer a feeling you are getting any support here or an appreciation of what moderators have to put up with. And as you describe it its a thankless task.

Tanit wrote:
I wish the previous active members had not taken a mass exodus, but with the forums less active now it does seem like it might be better to shut them down if Deb is no longer able to maintain Skyscript. Her voice of wisdom is sadly lacking throughout the forums. The number and quality of posts in general have declined dramatically since I first joined over a decade ago.
There are many reasons the site has declined. The exponential growth of Facebook astrology groups has certainly been a major factor as has the lack of an active admin like Deb. And indeed the presence of Deb as an active poster was always a major bonus which attracted other high quality astrologers. There are also individual factors in regards the moderators. But the combined effect certainly means this place is not what it used to be when I joined in 2005. I do think a website like this has a lot of advantages over FB. Not least that you can find a discussion a decade later! Good discussions on FB are very ephemeral and hard to locate weeks later. However, its much more convenient to post charts. This is something that makes Skyscript rather clunky and outdated.

I do hope you stick around a bit longer Tanit until we get some solid feedback from Paul. You are a fantastic moderator (and astrologer) and have been exceptionally diligent in that role. But I totally understand your frustration n. Its surely much more demanding trying to moderate a busy traffic forum like the Horary area. And if your not getting any support to at least get rid of the crazies its not much incentive.

I do think Paul needs to update all the moderators soon on the future of this website. I have been saying for nearly a year now we either need a fresh group of moderators or we should freeze the forums and just keep the website as a resource for astrologers. The Aeclectic Tarot site did something like this a few years ago when the Admin was no longer able to manage the forums.

Something needs to change here very soon or Skyscript will effectively run into the ground. I am thinking of writing to Deborah Houlding myself on this issue.

Mark

There is something called Market Share at work here.

Back in the day there were very very few Astrological websites.

Widgets World
Skyscript
Astrodiest

But just as when more Cafes open in your Home town you find that people drift away from the original Dinner, so too people drift away from these original sites, even if the new ones aren't better.

It is the Law of Market Share.

As to Tan's input ?

You clearly are a very very very knowledgeable Astrologer.

What are these Forums for ?

To help people improve their Predictions and Judgements or what ?

H