Question about weight loss

Hi,
If the question asked is whether or not someone will lose 'x' number of pounds by a certain date, what house would you go to?
I know the 1st signifies health and vitality, but the querent also gets the first, so how would this be figured out? Maybe positive application of the Moon to the ruler of the first?

Thanks for anyone who may venture to answer this one.
After all, weight loss is a "burning" issue for many of us....
:D

That's a tough one. Maybe you'd just see if there is a connection between the Moon and the person's significator.

Maybe this is one of those questions that could have been asked, "What Can I Do To Makes Sure I Lose Weight?", or "What Obstacles Are In the Way of Losing Weight?" But you know... even then I'm not sure what would be significators, other than the ASC and Moon.

Is there a chart here that we can look at? I had a thought to look at the 11th house - the thing hoped for. But Lilly seems to use that when the person asking the question doesn't want to tell you what it is they are asking about.

Another thought is to get some more background on the question. Usaully people want to lose weight for a reason - new boyfriend, wants to leave a bad relationship and look better before doing so, wants to be accepted on some sports team, I don't know. But there could be more behind the question and you could see how this shows up in the chart.
Mark F

The way I see it, if you think you're carrying around too much weight then you're obviously aware of an imbalance in your body. Therefore I would look at the 6th house and its ruler, as this house is the focus of 'dis-ease'. Then I would look to see if the ruler of the 1st (health and vitality) is stronger essentially and accidentally than the ruler of the 6th. If it is, you ought to be able to overcome the problem, if not, then probably not.
Jupiter seems to be connected to weight gain, while Saturn tends to lose it.
Lilly says the Moon rules "surfeits", which presumably means 'too much of...'
All these things are worth checking out.
So, you think you're a little 'heavy', T? You Taureans - you just can't resist the t-bone steaks and afternoon snacks, huh? :P
--
Pete.

P.S: Oh, and supplying the data for the horary would be a *tremendous* help, don't you think? :shock: :D

Is there a chart here that we can look at? I had a thought to look at the 11th house - the thing hoped for.
Mark, I think you might have hit the nail on the head!!! <<<<Or maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part... :D )>>>
I really, really hope I can be 6 lbs lighter....< :lol: >

Question asked:
"Will I lose 6 lbs or more by March 9th"
Feb 18 2005
3:37 pm
40N53 73W58 EST 5:00

I'm doing my part - exercising, eating right, etc., etc....

And I see that the Moon is coming to a wonderful trine in just 2 degrees with Mercury, ruler of the 11th.
It's not every day that I get such wonderful unadulterated trines like this....BUT, is it ruler of the 11th? I think I'm going to have to contend with what Pete says...
Another thought is to get some more background on the question. Usaully people want to lose weight for a reason - new boyfriend, wants to leave a bad relationship and look better before doing so, wants to be accepted on some sports team, I don't know. But there could be more behind the question and you could see how this shows up in the chart.
Well, I'm going away on a journey across the Atlantic and I just want to look great...
Thanks for responding..
- T -

Oh hi Pete,
I kinda had the feeling that you might savor this post and join in...
Oh, and supplying the data for the horary would be a *tremendous* help, don't you think?
Well, I was trying to be anonymous about this, but if you insist.. :D

Question asked:
"Will I lose 6 lbs or more by March 9th"
Feb 18 2005
3:37 pm
40N53 73W58 EST 5:00
Pete wrote:
The way I see it, if you think you're carrying around too much weight then you're obviously aware of an imbalance in your body. Therefore I would look at the 6th house and its ruler, as this house is the focus of 'dis-ease'.
Well, there's no aspect between Sun, ruler of 1st and Saturn, ruler of 6th. But if there was an aspect, what would that mean and if there wasn't, what would that mean??? Not entirely sure what you mean here.
Then I would look to see if the ruler of the 1st (health and vitality) is stronger essentially and accidentally than the ruler of the 6th.
Well, the SUn is not in any of it's dignities so it's not so great. But, Saturn, ruler of the 6th is in really terrible shape (detriment, retrograde, 12th house), so relatively speaking the Sun is in better shape.
If it is, you ought to be able to overcome the problem, if not, then probably not.
It's not a problem Pete, it's just a goal that I would like to achieve and curious if I will succeed, because I've been trying for 4 weeks now and have 2 more weeks to go.
Jupiter seems to be connected to weight gain, while Saturn tends to lose it.
Well, the sun isn't applying to Jupiter nor is it applying to Saturn. That would seem to imply no weight gain or loss???
Not entirely sure what is meant here. Please explain, Sir Peter, I have no idea what you are talking about...You must have memorized Christian Astrology, you are a very smart man..
All these things are worth checking out.
Truly.

But Pete, would you not give some credence to the 11th? It is my strong hope and wish that I accomplish this goal.
So, you think you're a little 'heavy', T? You Taureans - you just can't resist the t-bone steaks and afternoon snacks, huh? :P
I can't believe you would assume I asked the question for myself!!! <grinning...> Well - OK, so I did, big deal..... However, currently I look great. I just want to look fantastic...<laffing..> and if I lost 6 lbs, I would transform from just plain great to fantastic (i must be leo rising)-that's all there is to it, you know.

But on a more serious note, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you're considering doing this horary for yourself. The only difference would be that you would probably need to prefix the "6" in the 6 lbs with the number 2, resulting in the perfect question "Will I lose 26 lbs or more by x date".

After all, we do need to keep in shape to ensure the continued affections of the lovely fit and trim Ms. Sabena now, don't we? They tell me it gets harder as the years fly by.

:wink:

Hi T,
Well, there's no aspect between Sun, ruler of 1st and Saturn, ruler of 6th. But if there was an aspect, what would that mean and if there wasn't, what would that mean??? Not entirely sure what you mean here.
I wasn't looking for an aspect per se. My reasoning being, if the 6th house is indeed the house we would look at for the prospects of weight loss, then the success or failure of it would depend upon whether the ruler of the 1st is stronger than the ruler of the 6th. In other words, is the "dis-ease" weaker than the will to recover, if you see what I mean?
It's not a problem Pete, it's just a goal that I would like to achieve and curious if I will succeed, because I've been trying for 4 weeks now and have 2 more weeks to go.
Ah, I see! Then if you don't see the extra weight as a problem, then perhaps the 6th house isn't the right place to look after all. If it's simply a goal, then Mark could well be right and we should be looking at the 11th house.
Not entirely sure what is meant here. Please explain, Sir Peter, I have no idea what you are talking about...You must have memorized Christian Astrology, you are a very smart man..
Ha, well I'd need to live to be about 150 to memorise *that* book. I was referring to the fact that the Moon generally rules over bodily fluids and often too much weight can be put down to a surfeit, or excess of fluid in the body. If that were the case here, the Moon would suggest it. The Moon in Cancer could actually be pointing in that direction.
But Pete, would you not give some credence to the 11th? It is my strong hope and wish that I accomplish this goal.
Well now that I understand the question correctly then yes, I'd give more credence to the 11th house of Hopes & Wishes., especially since the Moon is in that house.
I can't believe you would assume I asked the question for myself!!!
T, you ought to know by now I can pretty much read you like a book! ;)
and if I lost 6 lbs, I would transform from just plain great to fantastic (i must be leo rising)-that's all there is to it, you know.
Only Leo rising would be dissatisfied with looking "just plain great", that's for sure :)
But on a more serious note, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you're considering doing this horary for yourself. The only difference would be that you would probably need to prefix the "6" in the 6 lbs with the number 2, resulting in the perfect question "Will I lose 26 lbs or more by x date".
Ah, but remember, I don't have Leo rising. I *just* have it on the MC with the Sun in the 5th house. I may not be perfect, but most of me is "just plain great", so I think I'll pass on this one :)
After all, we do need to keep in shape to ensure the continued affections of the lovely fit and trim Ms. Sabena now, don't we? They tell me it gets harder as the years fly by.
Hmmm, why do you think she needs to keep in shape all the time? :P
==
Pete

Pete:
Well now that I understand the question correctly then yes, I'd give more credence to the 11th house of Hopes & Wishes., especially since the Moon is in that house.
OK, well, in that case, the Moon is coming to a trine with Mercury, ruler of 11th in just 2 degrees, which corresponds to the 2 weeks that I have left to achieve this goal. Mercury is also ruler of the 3rd, which signifies, among other things, "mobility skills" (aerobics activities??). The Moon is strong in Cancer and in the 11th, but Mercury is *combust*, in its detriment AND fall AND in the 8th. Wow! What further debillitation could we possibly hope for. So I'm strong but my hopes and wishes suck??? I don't get it!! I don't think 6 lbs is wishing for a lot. What about granny's reference to Venus? So would that be a Yes or a No?

For the first time in my life, I actually seem to be getting a "Yes", but in fact, it's still a "No"? How is this possible.....These "Yes" horaries are as elusive as that free consultation that I can never seem to get out of you!! :D
T, you ought to know by now I can pretty much read you like a book! ;)

Aaaawwwww - you're giving me a warm and fuzzy over here...
I don't know if that's for better or for worse....(grinning..) Well atleast I'm not doing romance heartbroken horaries anymore, give me some credit for that... :P
I may not be perfect, but most of me is "just plain great", so I think I'll pass on this one
Of course you're perfect, Sir Peter..
Hmmm, why do you think she needs to keep in shape all the time? :P
Is that so?? I never would have believed it! You *do* have it good these days, don't you! The Jameson on the Midheaven, Ms. Sabena trying to keep up, :wink: , you being just plain great if not perfect, your apprentices feeling warm and fuzzy about you (grinning).....

Always a pleasure! Do let me know what you think of the final outcome if you have the time.
- T -

The Moon is strong in Cancer and in the 11th, but Mercury is *combust*, in its detriment AND fall AND in the 8th. Wow! What further debillitation could we possibly hope for. So I'm strong but my hopes and wishes suck??? I don't get it!! I don't think 6 lbs is wishing for a lot.
Well it isn't, and I've been thinking about that combustion of Mercury, trying to put a different slant on it. Combustion has to do with being burned up, right? Well, your wish is to burn off the excess weight, and here the Sun is your significator. The weakness in this argument lies in the fact that Mercury is rapidly separating from the Sun, indicating an event in the past, rather than the future. The Moon is acting to translate the light from the Sun to Mercury though - even though she isn't in any of their dignities - so this would show the emotional need for you to re-connect with your goal.
I'm still concerned about the serious weakness of Mercury though, it's as if the wish itself is stripped of all power to act, and needs the help of that very strong Moon.
What about granny's reference to Venus? So would that be a Yes or a No?
Granny raises a very good point. This sounds more like a desire to look better, so Venus would be involved for sure. It's angular and rules the 4th house of "end of the matter", and is about to make a perfect quintile (72 degs) to a strong Mars on the 6th cusp. I realise that the quintile is not a Ptolemeic aspect but I'm sure that if Ptolemy had known about it, he would most certainly have included it. The quintile is an aspect that has to do with 'talent'; the things we 'know about' and perform with skill, and here I think it tells us that if you engage in strong physical excercise (Mars on cusp 6) you will reach your goal and burn off those pounds.
These "Yes" horaries are as elusive as that free consultation that I can never seem to get out of you!! :D
Now T, you know as well as I do that every time you invite me to comment on one of your questions you get a free consultation out of me :D.
Well at least I'm not doing romance heartbroken horaries anymore, give me some credit for that... :P
You mean all those heartbroken romance horaries were for you? I thought they were for a "friend"? :P Ah, so now we know! :)

You *do* have it good these days, don't you! The Jameson on the Midheaven, Ms. Sabena trying to keep up, :wink: , you being just plain great if not perfect, your apprentices feeling warm and fuzzy about you (grinning).....
This is exactly what Brad Pitt said to me the other day when he called round to borrow my jacket *again*. He was trying to chat up Sabena but when she told him he was crap in "Oceans Twelve" he got all huffy and left - without the jacket. ;)
Always a pleasure! Do let me know what you think of the final outcome if you have the time.
Anything I can do to make your life a little less fraught, T, is always a pleasure for me too. Do let us know when you can finally bounce a coin off your abs. :D
==
Pete

Well - 've been thinking about that combustion of Mercury, trying to put a different slant on it. Combustion has to do with being burned up, right? Well, your wish is to burn off the excess weight, and here the Sun is your significator. The weakness in this argument lies in the fact that Mercury is rapidly separating from the Sun, indicating an event in the past, rather than the future. The Moon is acting to translate the light from the Sun to Mercury though - even though she isn't in any of their dignities - so this would show the emotional need for you to re-connect with your goal.
I'm still concerned about the serious weakness of Mercury though, it's as if the wish itself is stripped of all power to act, and needs the help of that very strong Moon.
Hi,
Well, it's March 8th and l did it -- well, almost!!! I lost 5.5 pounds, and better, still, I lost 2% body fat, which is great! Or, if you want to be more technical about it, I actually lost 6 lbs 2 days ago, but there was a dinner at my house, so I gained 1/2 lb back over the weekend!! :D
It's interesting what you say Pete, especially in relation to what actually happened. Soon after I posted the horary, I got sick and was unable to do any exercise at all. However, I was still determined to lose the weight, so I decided to rely on diet alone and it worked. So I don't know if my wish was stripped of all power to act (whatever that means....), but the exercise half of me was incapacitated, while the "control the diet" part of me continued to be strong, and I accomplished my goal.
So, you think you're a little 'heavy', T? You Taureans - you just can't resist the t-bone steaks and afternoon snacks, huh?
I know I can't resist that wonderful English chocolate Flake if it is dangled in front of me , but us Taureans can also be pretty damn determined when we set our minds to something, you know, Sir Peter....... :lol:
Granny raises a very good point. This sounds more like a desire to look better, so Venus would be involved for sure. It's angular and rules the 4th house of "end of the matter", and is about to make a perfect quintile (72 degs) to a strong Mars on the 6th cusp. I realise that the quintile is not a Ptolemeic aspect but I'm sure that if Ptolemy had known about it, he would most certainly have included it. The quintile is an aspect that has to do with 'talent'; the things we 'know about' and perform with skill, and here I think it tells us that if you engage in strong physical excercise (Mars on cusp 6) you will reach your goal and burn off those pounds.
Well, seems like the quintile brought forth my desired perfection after all!! I have no doubt that Ptolemy would certainly have included it as a major aspect if he had known about it....(you and your noviles and quintiles and midpoints and.... :roll: )
Now T, you know as well as I do that every time you invite me to comment on one of your questions you get a free consultation out of me :D.
Oh, I know, I know, truly very kind of you, Sire. But I was thinking more in terms of a month to month forecast in excruciating detail, along with the progressed solar returns, the fidaria, the progressions, the transits, the lunar returns, the progressed solar arcs and solar arcs to natal midpoints, and that kind of stuff. Did I miss anything? That's not asking for a lot now, is it? .....<laffing..>

Well at least I'm not doing romance heartbroken horaries anymore, give me some credit for that... :P
You mean all those heartbroken romance horaries were for you? I thought they were for a "friend"? :P Ah, so now we know! :)
Oh no, ALL of those horaries were for friends. Of course they were all for friends. As a matter of fact, in the few cases that I posted a horary and said it was *mine", it was, in fact, for a friend!! :)
Anything I can do to make your life a little less fraught, T, is always a pleasure for me too. Do let us know when you can finally bounce a coin off your abs. :D
Sir Peter, you are too kind. (Genuine compliment...) I wish they would invite you back into the astrology circuit, I'd catch a plane JUST to see you in all of your glory, surrounded by your noviles and your asteroids and those wonderful quintiles, with a halo around your head, and the lovely Ms. Sabena hovering close by with a bottle of duty-free Jameson hidden in her bag, and I'd even take a little swig with you if you'd invite me!!! Just tell Ms. Sabena I'm just sweet old Taurus7 who lost 6 lbs and does very meaningful horaries and absolute wonders for your ego!!
:wink: