bonification

Can somebody tell me more about bonification? I can't seem to find much out there about it. Namely, if a malefic is with a benefic, do the two end up canceling each other out to make a relatively neutral influence? For example, in my chart I have mars in 2 virgo trine jupiter in 29 aries and conjunct venus in 4 virgo. Mars is peregrine, jupiter is retrograde, and venus is in fall but has triplicity; taking all these factors into account my mars should be relatively well behaved right?

Also more importantly, my chart is diurnal so would bonification help mitigate the out of sect status of my mars? Or are we talking apples and oranges?

Well, there is no such thing as "cancelation" in astrology. But certain circumstances can create a lesser hostile or troublesome result and some circumstances can create more mischief. Sometimes malefic planets can act as benefics.

I have Jupiter-Saturn conjunction in Libra and I've only heard of people telling me that Jupiter cannot bonify Saturn, but Saturn can malefy Jupiter. I have not found this to be true at all. Libra Jupiter is peregrine but Libra Saturn is exalted. I think exalted Saturn acts as a regulator for doing damage control to prevent Jupiter from going overboard. There is such thing as Jupiter going overboard and that can cause problems (such as gluttony).

I've gone to school with plenty of other people with the Jupiter-Saturn conjunction and they're not what you would think someone with a malefied Jupiter would be. As a matter of fact, I see them as a bunch of privileged jerks and if they've met with misfortune, it's actually their own doing (or undoing if the situation fits). I'm not even remotely considered as someone with a malefied Jupiter. I'm actually very lucky, much luckier than the majority of people I know who have exalted and dignified Jupiters.
0? Libra Jupiter conjunct 3? Libra Saturn
both conjunct 3? Libra AC

I believe Chris Brennan's Hellenistic course has a topic which talks about bonification and maltreatment. I am not sure if it is available for purchase separate from the whole course though.

From what I have read in Maternus, the malefics tend to be stronger in their malefic effects. So if one malefic is not well-placed by sect/phase, zodiacally nor by house placement, it will be difficult to "neutralise" its effects with an aspect from one benefic who is well-placed by those same criteria. At most the effects are mitigated. But if two or more well-placed benefics are aspecting, they may be able to so-called "neutralise" its effects...however...misfortunes may still occur, if the malefic is a time lord and the benefics who are "neutralising" its effects are not well-placed in the solar revolutions/profections/transits/etc during the time that the malefic is active.

Larxene Xenohart
Interested in Hellenistic astrology? Visit my blog.

The appearance changes, but the essence remains.

libra_rising wrote:Well, there is no such thing as "cancelation" in astrology. But certain circumstances can create a lesser hostile or troublesome result and some circumstances can create more mischief. Sometimes malefic planets can act as benefics.

I have Jupiter-Saturn conjunction in Libra and I've only heard of people telling me that Jupiter cannot bonify Saturn, but Saturn can malefy Jupiter. I have not found this to be true at all. Libra Jupiter is peregrine but Libra Saturn is exalted. I think exalted Saturn acts as a regulator for doing damage control to prevent Jupiter from going overboard. There is such thing as Jupiter going overboard and that can cause problems (such as gluttony).

I've gone to school with plenty of other people with the Jupiter-Saturn conjunction and they're not what you would think someone with a malefied Jupiter would be. As a matter of fact, I see them as a bunch of privileged jerks and if they've met with misfortune, it's actually their own doing (or undoing if the situation fits). I'm not even remotely considered as someone with a malefied Jupiter. I'm actually very lucky, much luckier than the majority of people I know who have exalted and dignified Jupiters.
Do you have a day chart or a night chart? In a day chart, this jupiter-saturn conjunction would be benificial. Jupiter is more benefic in a day chart and saturn is less malific in a day chart since jupiter and saturn are diurnal planets. Saturn is also made less malefic by being in its exaltation and also by being the day triplicity ruler of Libra. Jupiter is not perigrine in Libra, as it is the participating triplicity ruler, which gives Jupiter a boost. In a night chart this wouldn't be as good. Saturn is more malefic at night and Jupiter is less benefic at night, since they are both out of sect.