Isabel Pagan's From Pioneer to Poet

It has recently come to my attention that a fine old book has recently been republished. Isabel M. Pagan's From Pioneer To Poet Or The Twelve Great Gates: An Expansion Of The Signs Of The Zodiac was published in 2011 by Literary Licensing. This book, a precursor to Linda Goodman's sun sign book, was written when Alan Leo was reformatting astrology, but before Charles Carter's earliest books.

As this was prior to the days of computers and snap editing and publishing, Pagan's thoughts had to be carefully considered and recorded. Her book is filled with unique perspectives and personal observation. Of course some of these can be questioned and may be inaccurate, but they are nevertheless interesting to read as a very early version of the astrology of zodiac signs.

Although as a sidereal astrologer I transfer many of Pagan's observations to the underlying signs of the sidereal zodiac, there seems to be an aura of ancient wisdom in the book that is missing from contemporary writing. Each sign is divided into categories: Ruler; Evolved and Primitive Types; Love and Friendship; In Drama and Fiction; In Real Life; Literary Style; Religion; Physical Characteristics; Health

Isabel Pagan was a gifted writer and not a person who simply listed sign characteristics in rote fashion. There is a truncated version of the book available that is less expensive, so beware of that. I have an early printing of Pagan's book (1969) so have not seen the formatting of the recent reprint. My book has 318 pages. The Amazon description of the full version recent reprint notes 342 pages.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

Thanks Therese,

This is great news!

I must circulate this information around my Association email list. I remember this being on beginners recommended reading lists over 30 years ago but with the book going out of print it became very hard to get a hold of.

I have an old edition of this book which is the pride of my library!

Isabelle M Pagan was one of the few memorable Scottish figures in early 20th century British astrology.

The only other noteable Scottish astrologer I am aware from this period was Maurice Wemyss.

Here is her chart from astrodatabank:

http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Pagan,_Isabelle

She had an interesting T Square involving the Moon, Venus and Neptune with the latter the apex planet.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Mark wrote:Thanks Therese,

This is great news!

I must circulate this information around my Association email list. I remember this being on beginners recommended reading lists over 30 years ago but with the book going out of print it became very hard to get a hold of.

I have an old edition of this book which is the pride of my library!

Isabelle M Pagan was one of the few memorable Scottish figures in early 20th century British astrology.

The only other noteable Scottish astrologer I am aware from this period was Maurice Wemyss.

Here is her chart from astrodatabank:

http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Pagan,_Isabelle

She had an interesting T Square involving the Moon, Venus and Neptune with the latter the apex planet.

Mark
Interesting. She also has a really unique configuration with Saturn and Mercury being received by Jupiter (Mercury pushing his nature too) with the latter culminating and Saturn lording both Lots. I'd expect a really deep thinker. The Moon is committing her power to Venus too. Quite a powerful configuration.

Do you have any sort of bio on her, Mark?
http://www.esmaraldaastrology.wordpress.com

Konrad wrote:
Do you have any sort of bio on her, Mark?
Hi Konrad,

No sadly. A personal project I have thinking of doing is putting together short biographies of various noteable Scottish astrologers throughout history. It could go up on our website:

http://scottishastrology.co.uk/

In particular Michael Scott, John Napier, James Corss, Isabelle Pagan and Maurice Wemyss. One of our members did an excellent article on Michael Scott many years ago so that bit is covered. Jane Ridder-Patrick did a PHD on Astrology in 17th century Scotland and could easily cover James Corss for us if she has the time.

Isabelle Pagan like so many turn of the century astrologers in Britain was a Theosophist. We have actually held our meetings in a Theosophical Hall for many decades so there may still be some information about her there. I would probably also check authorities on this period like Kim Farnell.

However, I am too weighed down down with Association business and other projects to tackle this at present.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Mark wrote:
I have an old edition of this book which is the pride of my library

It's also one of my treasured books. I must have bought it in the late 60s when I was studying with Jeff Mayo (the Faculty). I've been watching for that book for years, and even wrote to the publishers in 1998 asking if there was some way the book could be made available. Good things do happen!!

Isabel Pagan's chart has the only signature that's ever been found for astrologers: Neptune aspecting the ascendant, in this case from an elevated position near the zenith point. Jupiter trines Moon-Uranus above the ascendant. My interpretation would be that Uranus adds intuitive brilliance to the Jupiter-Moon trine. The navamsa has a potent Rahu-Saturn-Mercury-Venus conjunction in Virgo. So any astrological system we use: She was an exceptionally talented lady! But she didn't make it into James Holden's History of Horoscopic Astrology.
Last edited by Therese Hamilton on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

I've already put a notice in the news section, but thought I should add a mention here that tomorrow night (July 6th) I'll be giving a presentation for the Astrological Lodge of London on Isabelle Pagan, and delivering the introduction to this book as part of the Lodge's centenary Classic Lecture series.

By way of introduction I'll be looking at her main biographical details and influence on the Scottish Astrological Association, and explaining the theme of the presentation she gave to the Lodge 100 years ago, which tied her passions of theatre, theosophy and astrology together.

For details see http://www.astrolodge.co.uk/

Mark, no promises, but if it is possible to do this, I will try to get a recording of this sent to you for the Scottish Astrological Association.

Deb wrote:
Mark, no promises, but if it is possible to do this, I will try to get a recording of this sent to you for the Scottish Astrological Association.
Just catching up on Skyscript after an all too long absence.

I do wish I could have heard your talk. That would be fantastic if you could send the recording Deb! Or maybe give us a talk about Isabelle Pagan up here some day?

I am very intrigued to know more about Isabelle Pagan on a more personal level.

regards,

Mark