Evolutionary Astrology

I have some questions about what is called "Evolutionary Astrology." This is a topic that I haven't explored in all my years of working with astrology, probably because it's a development within the tropical community for client work, and I now work with research rather than clients.

From a quick survey there seems to have been two main practitioners who developed this branch of astrology: Steven Forest and Jeffrey Wolf Green. Then on the Amazon site I see that they authored a book together: Measuring the Night: Evolutionary Astrology and the Keys to the Soul.

I'm curious about how these two strands of evolutionary astrology compare to each other (Have they come together now?), and the experience of astrologers with this branch of astrology.

Thanks to anyone who can help,

Therese
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

Hi Therese

Thanks for bringing this branch of astrology to my attention. Frankly, I haven't studied the topic yet so perhaps there is not much I can say here that would be of any help. But I want to look into this in the near future. From what little I have read online so far, I like the idea of reconciling astrology with the idea that we are not victim to astrological (or other) influences but, to a high degree, in charge of our own destiny. Prior to studying astrology, I read Jane Robert's Seth books which are stating, again and again, that we make our own realities. I don't think that this concept is really in contradiction with a believe in astrological influences - if you regard these as basic energies that can be expressed in so many different ways, on so many levels. They are potentials that we can choose or neglect to manifest, according to the degree of consciousness that we can apply to them. Many years ago, I said something to this end on a seminar on mundane astrology with some very famous astrologers since I found them to be a little too fatalist (I was in the audience). I met with some agreement but also with plenty of opposition. However, another participant came to me later and gave me his address in case that I was going to hold a seminar about the subject one day. :D I guess, it's expressive of what many people are really looking for in astrology: a means of personal empowerment. I am interested in all kinds of astrology including ancient schools, but I believe that especially the latter should be adapted in regard of the evolution in consciousness that has since taken place, and that is (hopefully) going to happen in the future. Some of you purists may find my position abhorrent. :-sk However, in old times, some neoplatonists and hermeticists like Marsilio Ficino and Giordano Bruno most definitely linked astrological influences with spiritual empowerment. Furthermore, it would seem to me that evolutionary astrology is quite in tune with Dane Rudhyar's philosophy. Hope that this offers some food for thought.

Michael

Michael Sternbach wrote:
But I want to look into this in the near future. From what little I have read online so far, I like the idea of reconciling astrology with the idea that we are not victim to astrological (or other) influences but, to a high degree, in charge of our own destiny.

From the little I've read on "Evolutinary Astrology," Pluto is given primary importance, even being referred to as "soul." This seems to be an extreme concept, and I was wondering about the origin of Pluto having so much importance in a birth chart. As I said, there seem to be two primary practitioners of what is now called evolutionary astrology, and they seem to have come together since they co-authored a set of books. I was hoping that someone who used that system with clients might be able to add some information.
Prior to studying astrology, I read Jane Robert's Seth books which are stating, again and again, that we make our own realities.

That is true up to a point. There's a difference between "fixed karma" which we've set up in other lives, and karma that we can control now by thought and action. This is the teaching from India's masters.
I don't think that this concept is really in contradiction with a believe in astrological influences - if you regard these as basic energies that can be expressed in so many different ways, on so many levels. They are potentials that we can choose or neglect to manifest, according to the degree of consciousness that we can apply to them.

This is the tricky part of working with clients. How much control does each person have over their lives at any one time? How much really cannot be changed? How does a counselor guide a client?
However, in old times, some neoplatonists and hermeticists like Marsilio Ficino and Giordano Bruno most definitely linked astrological influences with spiritual empowerment. Furthermore, it would seem to me that evolutionary astrology is quite in tune with Dane Rudhyar's philosophy.
Perhaps. As I said before, I hope someone can contribute some information on this particular school of evolutionary astrology, which isn't exactly what Dane Rudhyar was talking about.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

To adopt the concept of "evolutionary astrology", one must have a desire for the process of growth and learning. Of course, this will vary a LOT between individuals.
Anyone who asks "why was I born?" or for that matter, "why was that person born in that particular time and place in history?" will portray symptoms of evolution within the field of astrology. Simply asking one's self this questions already sets them on a journey of discovery. This whole topic is deeply philosophical and subject to each individuals perception of what constitutes "reality".
Astrologers can't just read someone's natal chart and say they are at "xyz" evolutionary state for example, the astrologer must interact with the client to establish at what "level" they are expressing, or not, as the case may be, any potentiality via astrological symbolism inherent in the soul or psyche of the person.
Libra Sun/ Pisces Moon/ Sagittarius Rising