hi john,

it is not fun looking for mental illness in a chart and i think it could show up a number of different ways, but the first thing i look at is the relationship between mercury and moon. they are in opposition here and in close connection with pluto.. actually this opposition forms the opposition in the kite pattern to the chart, so some astrologers might suggest the chart is loaded with talent and that this same opposition is the outlet for the talent.

the sun/saturn conjunction in the 8th house area of the chart is interesting and may factor into this question of yours too. i see that conjunction in combo with the mercury/moon opposition as having some type of blockage. the moon is in the opposite sign to all of this. it may or may not be alterable..

Saturn conjunction with sun may harm the sun by cooling him. He does not aspect Mercury and the sun takes precedent to mercury in libra.sun in fall here and prevents Saturn aiding his friend mercury. I think good Saturn mercury aspects can assist mind

Mercury and moon oppose each other and signify mood and thought

My second thoughts on this but the ascendant ruler was formerly considered to say much about what the native seeks in life. Whatever house system it the sun looks like is in the eighth. Depression and anxiety perhaps

Matthew
Matthew Goulding

Furthermore while Saturn is in the 1st degree of libra it still looks like mercury is besieged by him and mars and I do not think their dignity helps this guy. If mercury means the mind then imagine what it is like to be afflicted by one angry and one sad planet

Venus conj NN opp a asc ruled by sun in fall must be a factor too ?
Matthew Goulding

First of all, let me recast the chart in the equal house system. For one thing, it is the one I generally prefer (due to its symmetrical beauty and simplicity) even though, admittedly, other systems sometimes give good results, too. Generally, charts cast for positions so far North tend to have very unequally sized houses in most systems; in some cases the results can be just ridiculous.

The emphasis on air signs here speaks for a very active mind. The lack of planets in earth signs (except Jupiter) shows that the native tends to be ?ungrounded? and may have difficulty dealing with more practical matters.

We are talking about a case of mental illness here, so I will pay attention to the part of illness (Asc+Mars-Saturn; reverse the latter two for a night chart). It's at 14? Aries, therefore in conjunction with the Moon. As the Moon is symbolizing the personal unconscious, she could well be particularly significant here.

The Moon's isolated position vis-?-vis all the other planets puts her under a great deal of tension: Subconscious processes will be vivid, emotional responses extreme; all the more since the Moon is in Aries.

The opposition between Moon and Pluto could signify emotional fixations, a need to control the environment, hurts, jealousy, envy etc. Maybe the native got traumatized by an overly controlling mother? - Ebertin noticed a tendency toward schizophrenia with this planetary combination.

The conjunction of Pluto with Mercury can indicate fixations in thinking (and characteristically plays a role in certain kinds of neurosis).

As a primarily modern astrologer, I note that Pluto will act all the more ?scorpionic? being positioned in the 8th house.

Venus and Neptune form a kite together with Pluto/Mercury and the Moon. The native could find some release for the strong subconscious activity and emotional tension in artistic activity. (Hopefully not in excessive drinking!) Extraordinarily high potential for creativity in art, in line also with the Libra Sun. Sun closely conjunct Saturn could mean that free self-expression is quite hindered by self-criticism and lack of confidence, however. Perhaps a strict ?internalized? father figure?

Mars is ruling the part of illness. He's in Scorpio in conjunction with Uranus (the ruler of the ASC). This is another factor that can put an individual under high nervous tension; violent outbreaks of some sort are quite likely.

Mars and Uranus throw their squares on the DSC, Venus and the Ascending Node. If this individual develops a mental illness, it could well have something to do with the native strongly seeking fulfilment in relationships, but conflicts disrupting any harmony temporarily found.

Neptune is in the 10th house and conjunct the MC (yes, I do consider the MC ? as a sensitive point). This combination often makes it unclear for somebody what they specifically want to do in life, or it stands for goals that are too lofty to be put in practice easily. Vivid imagination, dreaminess, and lack of confidence can lead to a loss of profession here. - Ebertin lists ?depressive psychosis? and ?mental illness? as two possible manifestations of Neptune/MC.

This chart may be another brilliant example of a basically gifted artistic type of personality experiencing trouble to manifest their creativity and strongly emotional nature constructively due to emotional hypersensitivity, difficulty coping with unresolved childhood traumas and lack of ?grounding?.

Michael