I think we are talking at cross-purposes. The quote you reproduced refers to the previous syzygy, which for you, with a waning Moon, was the previous full Moon - it is the degree of this that you use, referring to the luminary above the horizon (since the Sun and Moon are exactly 180 apart, one will be above the horizon and on will be below, unless both are exactly on it).

Deb

I am talking about another passage, but I'll have to finish reading Tetrabiblos all the way (which may take me a couple of months). I'll make a note to find the passage in question.
Im sorry that I couldn't find the passage in question in the first place. Thats bad sport on my part. :)

Rectification using Trutin of Hermes

Hello Deborah,

I have been taking up this issue and have posted in astro.com. As I have also posted several charts, it might be easy, if you are interested, to go and check there: http://forum.astro.com/cgi/forum.cgi?num=1320240310/20

Anyhow, for your easy reference, here's the Method which I myself find very good indeed, and is the same as you mention :

Truthin of Hermes:

1. AC/DC of the NEWBORN = Moon at conception
2. AC/DC of the MOTHER = Moon at conception
3. Radix Moon of the NEWBORN = AC/DC of conception chart

The Trutina Hermetis method of rectification is based on the assumption that the positions of the Ascendant and the Moon in the conception chart and the birth chart are interconnected by a rule: the Moon at birth is on the horizon axis of the conception horoscope, and the Moon at conception is located on the horizontal axis of the radix.
In classical form the Trutina Hermetis says:

? When the radix Moon is waxing Moon and above the horizon, the period of pregnancy was less than 273 days, and the Moon in the prenatal epoch chart is conjunct the Ascendant of the radix.

? When the radix Moon is waning Moon and above horizon, the pregnancy was more than 273 days, and the prenatal Moon has the same coordinate as the Descendant of the radix.

? When the radix Moon is under the horizon and waxing, pregnancy was more than 273 days, and prenatal Moon incorporates the radix Ascendant.

? When the radix Moon is under the horizon and waning, pregnancy last less than 273 days, and the prenatal Moon conjoins the Descendant of the radix."

On the birth chart of the child, see where the moon is. According to its position, example:

AC 20? Scorpio

Moon 20? Cap

Difference: 60?

If waxing moon at birth, you divide 60:12 = 5
The baby was 5 days later that alfa day 273

The usual range is from 258 - 273 - 288

Check the various options above and off you go 8) 8)
ciaodalauraviola

lifestudent wrote:I am reading through Lilly's methods.
Can anyone explain to me why he adds 10 days to those 344 days he gets on page 504?
It's very easy. The Moon is away from the Ascendant 4 signs and 25 degrees, which is 285 days.

Then 1616 is a leap year. The merchant was born on September 19th, which is the 264th day of the year.
Then 285-264=21 which are the days of the previous year you should go back. December has 31 days, so 31-21= December, 10th day of conception.
Traditional astrology at
http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com

Ok great Margherita, thanks for your explanation.
I understood all what was going on up until that 10 days he added at the end. But understand it better like you say it :)

It is indeed interesting what Alice has stated here, that she has found the prenatal epoch work every single time if the birth is natural. But what I would like to know is what she means by that... does she mean that the recorded ASC at birth matches the one that p.e. would return, or does she mean that she rectifies the ASC to the degree of what the p.e. would return and thereby changes the recorded natal chart? That is not clear in her statement.