Thanks, Vasanth.

Returning to considering Mars, now in the first house, the first thing that authors say is that the ruler of the ASC in the I means "good".
In Bonatti's Book of Astronomy, Treatise 1-3 (Benjamin N. Dykes' translation) p.142.: "if the Lord of the 1st were in the 1st, it signifies the native's good fortune, his acquisition through himself, by his own industry and the exhaustion of his own body /at this point I thought: a wrestler! The Rock! :-D/, own study, own concerns" etc.
In Treatise 9, On Nativities, p. 1174. speaking about the 3 superior planets, "if they were (?.) in the ASC or in its angles (?.) they ake the soul (?.) capable of freedom, stern and sure of his own counsel, great and open, exalted and bringing his own thoughts into the open, but not very discreetly". Using Placidus houses, only the Sun and Mercury are in the angles, while using WSH, both Mars and Saturn (2 superior planets out of 3) are in the angles, so this point (that somehow sustains the meaning of the "ruler of the ASC in the I house") could make the difference between Placidus and WS houses (Tom will tell?. :) ).
According to Masha'allah (Works of Sahl and Masha'allah, Benjamin N. Dykes' translation), on p. 508., Mars in the ASC means "sorrow and fear and contention, and a horrible thing (?.), also craftiness and contrariety, and entering into a matter which does not pertain to him".
Following Zoller, the primary motivation of the native, signified by the Scorpio Ascendant, will be emotional security, and it will be sought through the strong domicile ruler Mars and its ways (courageous, zealous, daring, having initiative, ie. Mars' most positive/ly expressed/ features, although wrath and contention can never be excluded) and it will be "able to perform" and will be very "on target"; if this Mars is in the 12th house, a hidden/secret dimension will be "the theatre of expression of the primary motivation", while if it is in the I house, his own person will be the scene of realisation. This sounds very important (as a way of distinction between the two house systems), but from my experience, this "primary motivation" and its place of realistion is not something that can necessarily and be seen and understood easily from the outside, especially not from biographical data (unless the person is still alive and can be asked?.and have enough ability of introspection to understand?. and willingness to formulate it? etc.)

Some other general considerations (related to Mars but indipendent of house systems):
Masha'allah (op.cit.), on p.385., says that Mars in the bounds of Venus means problems related to women (and there is a long detailed guide describing all the possible troubles of this kind)
In Introductions to Traditional Astrology: Abu Mashar & al-Qabisi (translated and edited by Benjamin N. Dykes), on p.72. al-Qabisi describes the use of the 3 triplicity Lords of the ASC for determining the quality of the 3 main periods of life. Strong Mars being the 2nd triplicity Lord, and peregrine Venus the 1st one, it is deducible that the second/middle period of the native's life (adulthood) was much better than his childhood.

Iris

"if the Lord of the 1st were in the 1st, it signifies the native's good fortune, his acquisition through himself, by his own industry and the exhaustion of his own body /at this point I thought: a wrestler! The Rock! :-D/, own study, own concerns" etc. ..."
Yes an athlete and not a wrestler. He is primarily known as an athlete, but that is not all he is known for. Acquisition through himself or his own efforts is exactly right. In his field he could be considered something of a pioneer. But what else does it tell us about a person if that person develops his skills at the sacrifice of his body?
"if they were (?.) in the ASC or in its angles (?.) they ake the soul (?.) capable of freedom, stern and sure of his own counsel, great and open, exalted and bringing his own thoughts into the open, but not very discreetly"
Also true in fact deadly accurate. Put this together with the above.

Could he then be a body- builder? They only get really large by abusing steroids. Or a pro footballer. Their bodies must take some abuse. But what next. I think you ruled politics so acting maybe
Last edited by Mjacob on Fri May 02, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew Goulding

No steroids no drugs. Rarely drank alcohol. Career as a professional athlete ended long before the steroid era. Neptune notwithstanding, drugs have nothing to do with this story.

I hope no one seriously took my Neptune remark personally. I mentioned it for the simple reason that Neptune is somewhat prominent in this chart and Neptune and drugs go hand in hand. My purpose was guidance not criticism. I hadn't looked at the outer planets at all in this chart. I have no idea what role, if any, that any of the three outers played in this man's life. I leave the outer planets to others.

Mars

We see that both Mars and Mercury are in the terms (Egyptian) of Venus and triplicity as well. If we borrow the planet in another's domicile definitions from Abu Ali and Masha 'allah we find a joker who is highly sexed, playful and impudent so that is why women found him attractive
MJ

ps - I belatedly checked Jupiter and Mars as SoM and find nothing to contradict there but also I see a possibility of wounding with words as alluded to by Tom earlier
Matthew Goulding

A recent biographer used these words to describe the native: "He spent his whole life trying to bend the world to his will."

Doesn't Mars represent the will? In his own world, he largely succeeded in that endeavor.

I've been AWOL here because I've been busy with work and my computer is acting up. I'm going to work with the computer today and hope I don't have to buy a new one.

Mars

Sorry I picked a bad time. I am trying to avoid repeating what Iris has already established as I have the same books as her in the main. You did ask about why women were attracted to him so that was my answer
Regards
Matthew
Matthew Goulding

Mars

Over here it is a public holiday for May Day. Once I have finished dancing round the maypole and setting fire to the Wicker Man I should look at his temperament. If it comes out as phlegmatic I will throw in the towel.
Matthew Goulding

Temperament

I have assessed the temperament following the schema of John Frawley in The Real Astrology Applied and what do I find? Phlegmatic! The stars do not lie so my assumption was wrong. It is tempered by dryness and some heat so phlegm over choler. Selecting from Greenbaum. Tall of stature but not too big and not so fat as phlegmatic. Hairy with straight chestnut hair. Nimble bold kind merry and quick-witted.
The aggression of Mars is tempered by sanguine Jupiter so this explains the contradiction of the native who is concerned with his own ends but still has a good side to him and can care and be kind to others.
Matthew Goulding