BV Raman - Suddenly it seems I have a ton of his books

Namaste.

I have recently begun doing astrology again after an interlude of several years - and I shall not bore you with the details of my lapse. Moving away from my previous studies into Traditional European and medieval Arab astrology I am enjoying exploring Jyotish, which resonates in me somehow.

Without any design or plan I seem to have acquired lots of books by BV Raman. They are accessible, thorough and I enjoy reading and applying them. However I worry now that in my isolation Mr Raman may be leading me astray in some way, presenting a partisan or faulty take on Jyotish. Is there anything I should be aware of regarding his authenticity or style?

I feel awful even mentioning this probably foundationless worry, but as I have unwittingly collected a small mountain of his work I want to be sure.

Thank you for your time and I apologise to Mr Raman in advance and hope that he and his students forgive my suspicious nature.

Crocus
Hail Eris!

B V Raman was without doubt the most renowned Hindu astrologer of his generation. At one time -- that is to say, before other authors from India became readily available in the Western world -- he had a reputation which virtually amounted to "infallible." Of course, the contact with India is more extensive in this Internet global society, and other teachers from other lineages disagree with some of his judgments, but he remains one of the major figures of his era, and his influence was enormous. Always worth reading and studying.

It happens to everyone.There is a casual reference to other books in all his books.So, you end up buying all. I even bought the ephemeris.
Tell me you did not get sucked into it to that extent.

Remember, he uses his own ayanamsha so the dasha- bhukti and many times navamsha positions and ascendant may also differ.

Namaste

Thank you for your replies gentlemen. I am relieved that I am not mislead, and recognise the need to read other authors, though the BVR stack will take some time to get through. I haven't got the ephemeris (yet!) but two more slim, two-tone volumes arrived this morning: Ashtakavarga and Prediction. At a brief flick through they look great.

I am using "Notable Horoscopes", a collection of charts analysed by BVR, to test my techniques ~ duplicating the chart then working it up with my approach, then reading what BVR wrote. I enjoy doing this, though my ignorance is disheartening at times. I was wondering, however, if anyone might recomend another similar book, with charts, analysis and potted biography?

I have an old, tropical Astrological Association collection of British poets' charts and work ups, and have a collection of Medieval Popes' charts and, er, wikipaedia, but the analysis by a trained jyotisha helps me see how to go about things.

Thank you again.
Hail Eris!

Saturnhead wrote:
His friend and his daughter wrote his 2 best selling books. They just published them both in his name.
I guess as Raman is long dead now you couldn't face a libel action from him. But his family are still here. Unless you have hard evidence to support such accusations your comments are essentially just gossip. Even if you do have any evidence I dont think Skyscript is the place to air it. You can set up your own blog and risk the consequences on your own head rather than using Deborah Houlding's website.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Saturnhead wrote:His friend and his daughter wrote his 2 best selling books. They just published them both in his name.
If the language is Hindi then it is a translation.Many of his books like:
How to judge a horoscope I & II
Three hundred important combinations etc have been translated in Hindi-
by Z.Ansari