Konrad wrote:I agree with your main premise though, but that is why I suggest using years when such a configuration does not exist. We can't get isolated instances which would be ideal to test from, but we can pick years where a planet is emphasised throughout the time-lords such as when the bound lord of the directed Hyleg is also the lord of the profected ASC. This sort of thing should make that planet very obvious in the life that year, and thus, it will be easier to test our schemes.
Yes, I see that, and I largely agree. But in order really to test it, I think it would be necessary to make advance predictions (if only to ourselves), along the lines of: 'If this is a Mars-only year, then I expect such-and-such an outcome; if it's a Mars-Venus year, then such-and-such.' In hindsight, it's all too easy to decide that the theme of the year was just the one we're looking for.
But having Venus as chrnocator will do something. I don't see it as a distributor=Mars=bad + year lord=Venus=good, but that Venusian themes and events will appear in the native's life, regardless of Mars dominating the year or not. Also, if we have a Venusian event foretold, then it will be Venus who is doing something when the event manifests, and that too is regardless of Mars dominating the year or not.
I wouldn't say 'regardless'. If I may refer to myself, I had a god-awful year a couple of years ago, with Mars strongly activated by direction and Venus ruling the profection (in the traditional rulership scheme) while being heavily afflicted in the revolution. There was a Venus theme, to be sure: almost every woman in my immediate family circle went through a horrible time that year (for unrelated reasons). But it was very much tied up, I think, with that Mars, who was also harming Venus by a square aspect in the revolution. Had Mars not been a major chronocrator, things would probably have looked different.
https://astrology.martingansten.com/

Konrad wrote:
I would see my actions more as a unification of the Tropical and Sidereal measurements; a Venusian act for one with Venus rising. Smile
The ascendant is the body. However, aspects to the Moon (Venus and/or Uranus) would bring out the traits of those planets. :) Venus on the ascendant? Attractive features. Tennis pro Roger Federer has Venus rising (Asc 17 Leo, Venus 24 Leo). But Venus traits don't describe his sport. However, Mars in Gemini on cusp 11 does describe his career in tennis. (Gemini = hands and arms) Venus is the 3rd lord (hands and arms) and angular in the 1st. Thus, a double signature for tennis.

I'm fairly convinced that the (equal) house cusps do represent parts of the body. So we can use the lord of the 3rd for arm and hand related activities. Perhaps also the lungs for singing. Not sure about that yet. Research goes on.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

Martin Gansten wrote:I wouldn't say 'regardless'. If I may refer to myself, I had a god-awful year a couple of years ago, with Mars strongly activated by direction and Venus ruling the profection (in the traditional rulership scheme) while being heavily afflicted in the revolution. There was a Venus theme, to be sure: almost every woman in my immediate family circle went through a horrible time that year (for unrelated reasons). But it was very much tied up, I think, with that Mars, who was also harming Venus by a square aspect in the revolution. Had Mars not been a major chronocrator, things would probably have looked different.
No, I never meant that Mars wouldn't be felt, but that Venus would be felt somewhere despite Mars dominating the year overall. What were the timings like for your women? Who was triggering those events?
http://www.esmaraldaastrology.wordpress.com

Therese Hamilton wrote:Konrad wrote:
There is no reason I can see that the Sun rules Sidereal Leo.
Examples soon to follow.
Therese, by that I meant that I see no reason theoretically that the Sun rules Sidereal Leo, not that there is no practical evidence.

Federer is a good case. Venus doesn't describe his profession, and you would expect that she would if Sidereal Taurus was ruled by Venus. However, Mercury rules both Spirit and the 10th sign while casting his ray into the sign. He is also the bound lord of both. Tennis seems very Mercurial to me.

Konrad wrote:No, I never meant that Mars wouldn't be felt, but that Venus would be felt somewhere despite Mars dominating the year overall. What were the timings like for your women? Who was triggering those events?
Sorry, I haven't the dates for those separate events (or chains of events) handy or fresh in memory. I doubt there would be a single trigger for them all, though.

But it might be objected that the Venus theme was due not to Venus ruling the profection, but rather to Mars being configured with Venus in the revolution; and that is sort of my point: it's well-nigh impossible to isolate astrological factors completely.
Last edited by Martin Gansten on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Konrad wrote:Therese, by that I meant that I see no reason theoretically that the Sun rules Sidereal Leo, not that there is no practical evidence.
What would be the convincing theoretical reason for the Sun ruling sidereal Cancer?

Personally, I think a homology between the Lion, the King and the Sun is much easier to defend than, say, the idea that there should be twelve equal and astrologically meaningful zodiacal signs (though I believe that there are).

Martin Gansten wrote:
Konrad wrote:Therese, by that I meant that I see no reason theoretically that the Sun rules Sidereal Leo, not that there is no practical evidence.
What would be the convincing theoretical reason for the Sun ruling sidereal Cancer?

Personally, I think a homology between the Lion, the King and the Sun is much easier to defend than, say, the idea that there should be twelve equal and astrologically meaningful zodiacal signs (though I believe that there are).
I'm pretty happy with Ptolemy's reasoning given in Book 1, Ch. 17 of the Tetrabibilos. I have some other thoughts, but now is not the time for them to be expressed as I haven't thought them through fully. I see the Heliacal rising of Gemini and the Sun's position at that time being important to it though.

I don't think that position of Sun->king->Leo is that easily defendable - as I've said, Aldebaran was the star for powerful nativities in the ancient catalogues, but Venus rules its sign? You also have the link there only "working" with the Sun. What do fish have to do with Jupiter, or Saturn with men pouring water? Really though, the issue I can't reconcile Sidereally is that in a few thousand years, you're going to have Saturn ruling in the Summer with the Sun at its highest point and the luminaries ruling when the Sun is at its lowest point. It is counter-intuitive and contradicts the significations of all three.

Konrad wrote:
Federer is a good case. Venus doesn't describe his profession, and you would expect that she would if Sidereal Taurus was ruled by Venus. However, Mercury rules both Spirit and the 10th sign while casting his ray into the sign. He is also the bound lord of both. Tennis seems very Mercurial to me.
Taurus is the sidereal sign on the 10th cusp. Thus Venus is the focal point of profession or reputation.

Venus is angular in the 1st house suggesting a prominent profession noted by others.

Venus receives the 4 degree aspect from Mars in Gemini (tennis).

Venus is also the 3rd house lord (hands and arms).

Venus is the only strongly angular planet in Roger Federer's chart. Thus, as a receptor point for aspects it's extremely important.

Then we can extend the symbolism if we wish. The Sun disposits Venus and is in the 12th with quick moving Mercury. (12th is the house of the feet.) Then we continue the flow of energy from Mercury-Sun: Dispositor Moon is in the 3rd. So there is a link between the 3rd and the 12th. (Body part symbolism only, feet and arms used in tennis.) Oh, and Mars in Gemini is trine the 3rd house Moon.

Federer's chart is a very good example of the gestalt of the astrological chart. But without the life history of a person astrologers probably wouldn't know which of the many attributes of the planets to apply in a reading.

You wrote: "Tennis seems very Mercurial to me." Mercury rules many things, but in this case Mercury isn't directly connected to either the 3rd of the 10th in the sidereal zodiac.

You say that Mercury rules the 10th sign. Is this in your own unique system, or are you referencing the tropical zodiac?

House lords as such don't necessarily describe affairs of a house. But they are receptor points for aspects, and of course their position in the circle as measured from the ascendant is critical.

There was a comment in this thread that Aldebaran was related to kingship. Federer's nonagesimal point (highest point of the ecliptic 90 degrees from the ascendant) is 17Tau31. Aldebaran is at 16 Taurus (Krisnamurti)...tennis "kingship." (I've been experimenting with fixed star positions at the nonagesimal point.)

Konrad wrote:
I don't think that position of Sun->king->Leo is that easily defendable - as I've said, Aldebaran was the star for powerful nativities in the ancient catalogues, but Venus rules its sign?
I doubt very much that any planet or sign "rules" a fixed star. We have only a few possible correlations such as Regulus in the constellation of Leo. Individual stars seem to be unique and independent of signs of the zodiac. (But, of course this is another research topic.) However, constellational mythology seems to be part of (sidereal) sign symbolism.
...by that I meant that I see no reason theoretically that the Sun rules Sidereal Leo, not that there is no practical evidence.

There are good theoretical reasons for the Sun being associated with Leo, but why do we need much more than plain and simple practical examples?? Astrologers seem to be particularly weak when it comes to the practical demonstration of astrological principles...which means a great deal of exchange of heated air: mental exercises with little practical value. Is this what we want astrology to be now and in the future?
Last edited by Therese Hamilton on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Konrad wrote:
[Re: planetary rulership of signs] What do fish have to do with Jupiter, or Saturn with men pouring water?
At this time in history we have a perfect example of the prominence of constellational mythology in world affairs. Neptune has been transiting sidereal Aquarius since 2009. I don't have at hand the beginning of the "coming out" of the LBGT (lesbian, bi-sexual, gay, transgender) communities, but at this time in many countries laws are being passed to give LBGT couples equal rights under the law.

It's not generally known that the mythology of Ganymede has been associated with the constellation of Aquarius. Zeus fell in love with the handsome Ganymede, and took him home to be his companion and cup bearer of the gods. This story is one of the first examples of male homosexuality in Greek religion. (Sesti, The Glorious Constellations, p. 227)

Twenty years ago gay marriage did not exist. Today gay marriage is legal in a number of countries. There is, of course, heated controversy in some underdeveloped countries on the legality and religious rights of LBGT couples. Severe prejudice still exists. But major inroads are being made in the area of recognition and equal rights for relationships that were kept under cover and unrecognized in the past.

So constellation myth does play a part in star groups within sidereal signs. This is a study area that has not yet been explored in a major way. Perhaps the best approach is thorough mundane astrology and world trends and events.

Konrad wrote:I'm pretty happy with Ptolemy's reasoning given in Book 1, Ch. 17 of the Tetrabibilos.
OK. I think that's very unsatisfactory, but to each his own. I was just interested to know whether you had found any more coherent argument than Ptolemy's.
I don't think that position of Sun->king->Leo is that easily defendable - as I've said, Aldebaran was the star for powerful nativities in the ancient catalogues, but Venus rules its sign? You also have the link there only "working" with the Sun. What do fish have to do with Jupiter, or Saturn with men pouring water?
Regardless of which zodiac you use, it is entirely based on the two signs assigned to the luminaries; the rest are distributed according to the apparent velocity (the 'spheres') of the planets. Otherwise you'd have to contend that the Moon and Mercury are hotter than Mars, etc.

Granted that Aldebaran was considered a powerful star, the Lion as a symbol was connected with kingship in a way that the Bull was not.
Really though, the issue I can't reconcile Sidereally is that in a few thousand years, you're going to have Saturn ruling in the Summer with the Sun at its highest point and the luminaries ruling when the Sun is at its lowest point. It is counter-intuitive and contradicts the significations of all three.
'Summer' and 'highest/lowest' are relative terms, as you know. With your system, what is now something like 700 million to a billion people and increasing (namely, the population of the southern hemisphere) will forever have Saturn ruling the Sun in the summer, when it is at its highest point.