It was a very enlightening experience to read through all 685 comments below the article. Positive, or negative, to the point of being bigoted. It is a reminder for all of us how an expression of your personal views, when they concern astrology, can be perceived by public (one should clarify this as ?public, which tends to react to articles on various webpages?). It is, generally speaking, not a pretty picture.

Not pretty and dangerous too. The bigots hope that he will be stopped from expressing his views but he has been elected to Parliament by democratic vote. Sure most people who post about news articles are probably sitting in their bedrooms in their underpants but heaven knows what kind of world it would be if they had any power or influence
MJ
Matthew Goulding

Thanks for posting the article.

This seems to be, possibly, an appropriate place to ask for help/input/suggestions on this area of medical astrology.

I have an astrologer friend who has been accepted to undertake a Psychology Doctorate, with the subject(thesis?) still to be confirmed. There has been an acceptance by the University that an alternative viewpoint from conventional practice is likely to be approved.

With the recent article coming from a member of the Health Committee, it would seem that there is an opportunity to include the 'A' word as a theme within the context of mental health.

My request is does anyone in our community have any suggestions/advice about research regarding mental health/astrology, individuals who are astrologers that are active in mental health, etc.

Any thoughts, or suggestions would be welcome. Additionally, are there people that can be approached/be willing to offer guidance/assistance. If it is easier to p.m. me please do so.

In my previous professional incarnation in Canada, I had worked in the area of psychiatric rehabilitation. Those dozen years were the best as far as any supplementary training one could envision for an astrologer. It is a very complex area, just to read thru DSM-5 is an ordeal in itself. I have some definite ideas, experiences, etc., which I would be happy to discuss in private. You can pm me.

Paul Paral

In response to John,

Please advise your astrologer friend of the following three existingly published modern books in English specifically on the subject of connections between astrology and mental health. I would suggest that they would constitute parts of the essential background reading if this is to be the focus of your friend's doctorate:

Darling, Harry F. and Oliver, Ruth Hale ?Astro-Psychiatry? CSA Press, Lakemont, Georgia, 1972

Tucker, Dr. Wm. J. ?Astrology and the Abnormal Mind? Second Reprint ? Pythagorean Publications, 1971

Gibson, Mitchell E., M. D. ?Signs of Mental Illness? Second Printing - Llewellyn Publications, Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd., St. Paul, MN, 1999

I have not read any of the three mentioned books. However, if those two books from seventies draw in any depth on clinical psychiatry: they are probably good only as staffage under your monitor, speaker, etc. That is where my psychiatric library from sixties and seventies serves at the moment. Psychiatry went thru a great revision period in eighties and nineties (and it continues). When I look for references from the past, and I look into one of these, it seems like the dark ages. So, just beware.

Paul Paral