Ricardo wrote:
Ahh!!! This is a great way to do it. Thanks for explanation. I was using the ayanamsa value and doing the counting by hand... which is a bit a nightmare...
I learned that nifty way of converting from tropical to sidereal positions way back in the 1970s. The Fagan school of astrology has always used that shortcut method, and routinely publishes Synetic Vernal Point tables with the short value that needs to be added to tropical positions. I've been very puzzled why many books still use the cumbersome ayanamsa value to convert planets and stars to the sidereal. Trying to work with the large ayanamsa values is enough to drive any astrologer away from sidereal astrology.

Ricardo, it would be good to go back and check your star longitudes now that you have an easy way to make the conversion. Many of your stars are somewhat off in the calculation of minutes.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

From studying the list of nakshatra stars in both the 27 and 28-fold equal divisions, it seems obvious that the ancient nakshatras were not equal divisions of the ecliptic. There never was a 28-fold equal mansion division in India. The Arabs invented that 28 equal mansion division. So experimenting with 28 Indian mansions or nakshatras is your invention, Ricardo!

Both these systems break down when trying to correlate all stars with equal sized mansions. With the Lahiri ayanamsa (rather than the old Persian ayanamsa) it's true that more nakshatra stars fit the 28 mansions rather than 27. The 27 mansion division has six misfits and three partial fits. That is, some stars of a nakshatra fall in the correct mansion, and others fall in an adjacent mansion. With the 28-fold division four mansions are misfits, and two are partial fits.

With the 27-fold division Ardra misses Betelgeuse, and of course, Swathi does not have Arcturus. Two Sagittarius mansions are misfits. Likewise Capricorn. This is where the 27-fold system breaks down.

Shaula and Lesath are correctly placed in early Sagittarius (Moola) with the 27-fold system. Laseth is at 15 minutes of Sagittarius (Krishnamurti) and Shaula is at 49 minutes. Lahiri keeps both stars in Moola as well.

In the 28-fold system Pushya loses the all important Praesepe (M 44) and its triangle of stars, and only one star of Corvus is in Hasta. Vega is misplaced from Abhijit, but this may be the only system (with the Lahiri ayanamsa) that manages to place Spica in Chitra and Arcturus in Swathi! This is impressive! (Swati begins at 0? Libra in this system.) The 28-fold system also breaks down in Capricorn.

Ricardo wrote:
In the Surya Siddanta it's mention that the star zeta Pis is the one that marks the begin of Revati, and this star is at the moment in 26? Pis - So this means that Revati should begin in 26? Pis and not in 16?40' Pis. ???
This old Persian zodiac has been supplanted by Lahiri values. The zeta Pisces zodiac fails when using the navamsa and other varga charts. It is a relic of history. Zeta Pisces at one time marked the beginning of the astrological zodiac or zero Aries.

My conclusion is that the nakshatra stars did not divide the ecliptic into equal portions, but remained as individual stars or asterisms. Later the 27-fold system was invented (or discovered) and made to fit the zodiac beginning with Aries. Much later the Arabs invented the 28 equal ecliptic divisions for their mansions. I am not familiar enough with the Chinese system to comment, except I know the Chinese mansions were measured on the equator.
Last edited by Therese Hamilton on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ricardo Moola wrote:
Another great problem we are facing is the movement of the "fixed" stars. Praesepe is a runner . It's position in 1900 was 05?57' Leo (tropical values) and in 2000 it was 07?20'.
Arcturus is also a runner...
This might be one of the great reasons behind some misplacements inside the right mansions.
These longitudes in the tropical zodiac from Anne Wright's site are due to precession. The stars haven't moved, but the initial point of the tropical zodiac has shifted due to precession. The proper motion of some stars is quite small in comparison, only a few seconds or minutes over the centuries. Arcturus is a star that has relatively rapid proper motion, so its position probably did vary by degree a few thousand years ago. But there would not have been nearly enough variation to place it in the equal 27-fold Swati of today's lunar mansions.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_p ... f_arcturus:

"[Arcturus:] 2.2794 arcseconds per year in the direction of position angle 208.7? as measured on the mean equatorial coordinate system of J2000.0. That implies that Arcturus traverses 1? (about twice the width of a Full Moon) in 1579 years."

Therese Hamilton wrote:There never was a 28-fold equal mansion division in India. The Arabs invented that 28 equal mansion division. So experimenting with 28 Indian mansions or nakshatras is your invention, Ricardo!
:D not really so. The Hindu astrologer K.T.Shubhakaran talks about 3 schools of thought regarding the division of the nakshatras:

a) 27 equal divisions of 13?20'
b) 28 equal division of 12?51' 3/7'' (with the inclusion of Abhijit)
c) Abhijit is placed between U.Ashada and Sravana, from 276?40 to 280?54.13. Because of this U.Ashada gets its space reduce to 10?00 and Sravana reduces to 12?25'27''
Therese Hamilton wrote: Both these systems break down when trying to correlate all stars with equal sized mansions.
Yes, I was trying to see what would happen in these other systems. I looks that none of them work fully.
Therese Hamilton wrote:
My conclusion is that the nakshatra stars did not divide the ecliptic into equal portions, but remained as individual stars or asterisms. Later the 27-fold system was invented (or discovered) and made to fit the zodiac beginning with Aries.
Agreed. Thanks for the nice comments and for bear it with me.

Ricardo Moola wrote:
The Hindu astrologer K.T.Shubhakaran talks about 3 schools of thought regarding the division of the nakshatras:
Is there an online reference where we can read Shubhakaran's thoughts on the nakshatras? If not, are they recorded in a book? I am interested in the origin of "the three schools of thought." I had never heard of an opinion that stated the Hindu nakshatras were 28 equal divisions.
c) Abhijit is placed between U.Ashada and Sravana, from 276?40 to 280?54.13. Because of this U.Ashada gets its space reduce to 10?00 and Sravana reduces to 12?25'27''
Then we don't really have 28 "equal" portions of the ecliptic? I suppose it depends on how an astrologer wants to view this division of the ecliptic.

Agreed. Thanks for the nice comments and for [bearing] with me.
This has been a good discussion. It's always interesting to discuss the differences between the ancient nakshatra stars and asterisms and their location in the 27 mansions today. It's a puzzle that has not yet been solved. That is, how do we interpret characteristics of the mansions? I'm currently taking all the ADB 4 Moon degrees in charts that are near the nonagesimal (90 degrees from the ascendant) to check against the biographical information.

I also have files of charts with the Moon on the ascendant in zodiacal order. Often, however, the traits we read about in the books on lunar mansions aren't mentioned in biographies. Working with the Moon is always problematic because the Moon responds to any aspecting planets which can overshadow possible traits of the nakshatras. So research in this area is difficult.

Ricardo Moola wrote:
The Hindu astrologer K.T.Shubhakaran talks about 3 schools of thought regarding the division of the nakshatras:

Regarding K.T. Shubhakaran, you may be referring to the statement in his book, Nakshatra: Constellational Predictions with Remedial Measures (Sagar Publications 1991). He does make a vague statement in the Introduction on page 1: "According to a second method there are 28 divisions or nakshatras of 28.51-3/7 degrees of each..."

However, Shubhakaran gives no historical reference for that statement, and as he refers to the Arab mansions throughout his book, we can assume the Arab system is the origin of Shubhakaran's "second method." He has simply applied the Arab method of calculation to the Indian nakshatras as his own unique idea. There is no historical precedent for an equal 28-fold nakshatra division in India. Also his interpretations throughout the book are based on the usual 27-fold mansion division.

Shubhakaran's nakshatra texts (two books in the set) are highly questionable. He gives numerous interpretations for planets in each nakshatra quarter which have no verification or precedent that I'm aware of. One has only to begin reading anywhere in the book, and immediately questions arise in the mind as to the validity of what he writes. No doubt some concepts are the results of Shubhakaran's study, and others are based on theory. This nakshatra book set is nicely published in hardback, so can appear to be impressive.

Therese Hamilton wrote: Regarding K.T. Shubhakaran, you may be referring to the statement in his book, Nakshatra: Constellational Predictions with Remedial Measures (Sagar Publications 1991). He does make a vague statement in the Introduction on page 1: "According to a second method there are 28 divisions or nakshatras of 28.51-3/7 degrees of each..."
Yes. this is the book and the quote. I agree with you, he doesn't give any kind of extra reference, nevertheless I was intrigued by this idea. Yes, probably the method he is referring to is the Arab system of 28 houses.

Therese Hamilton wrote:
Shubhakaran's nakshatra texts (two books in the set) are highly questionable. He gives numerous interpretations for planets in each nakshatra quarter which have no verification or precedent that I'm aware of.
Shubhakaran's book is the only one I found until now, where one have some clue of what is the meaning of the different planets in the nakshatras.
Although he doesn't say it, his interpretations are a copy of the Ravana Samihta.
I have compare his book with the translation made available by the Saptarishis Astrology website. Saptarishis Astrology website only translated the text until Purnavasu, but until now their text match with Shubhakaran's. So I would assume that the rest is also rightly translated.

I'm aware that there is a lot of controversy around the Ravana Samihta, but It's the only source where we can have some glimpse regarding this matter.

According with my research, there are only two version of the Ravana Samihta. One in Varanasi and other is a lost village somewhere in India ( can't recall now, exactly where....)
I find this so sad... that this information is lost or hard to get. When studying the Nakshatras, the question that usually pops ups is: Ok.. this for the moon.. and what about the rest of the planets?

But more research on this area is needed - that is for sure. ;)

Ricardo Moola wrote:
Although he doesn't say it, his interpretations are a copy of the Ravana Samhita.
I have compare his book with the translation made available by the Saptarishis Astrology website. Saptarishis Astrology website only translated the text until Purnavasu, but until now their text match with Shubhakaran's. So I would assume that the rest is also rightly translated.
That is interesting!! Do you have a link to the material on Saptarishis Astrology? It is so typical of Indian authors to copy from other writers, and give no reference to their work. Outright plagiarism is common. For example, I have some books by Manik Chand Jain (now deceased) that are direct copies of other authors with a few sentences added here and there. Some illustrations in Zodiacal Constellations are simply photocopies from a western book on the same topic.

So I'm interested in seeing the translation of Ravana Samhita. Can you tell us about the controversy surrounding this text? What is the dating of the text, and what is the original language? It would seem that it is a modern text as there is so much detail describing planets in nakshatras.

Edit:
I see that the book is available on Amazon in Hindi, supposedly translated from the Sanskrit by a Dr. Surkant Jha (2013) I would say this book is highly suspect as to its validity.

Shubhakaran's Nakshatra books were published in 1991 and 1994. That is 20 years ago. Is it possible that someone has translated these two books into Hindi which someone else is now translating back into English? (for Saptarishis Astrology Journal) When did "Ravana Samhita" first see the light of day?

Ricardo, you may have made a very valuable detective discovery!

Therese Hamilton wrote: That is interesting!! Do you have a link to the material on Saptarishis Astrology?
They have been editing the translation from time to time. The articles are spread all over the several volumes available on their website.
I gather all the articles into one single pdf. You can download this compilation from my dropbox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3d7irqlvfwhf6 ... ita_SA.pdf

(if you have problems with the download, let me know)
Therese Hamilton wrote: Can you tell us about the controversy surrounding this text? What is the dating of the text, and what is the original language? It would seem that it is a modern text as there is so much detail describing planets in nakshatras.
The stories tell us that Ravana was a great devotee of Shiva and after many many pujas and penance Shiva granted him the powers to control the planets. He could make the planets go into specific positions in order to give the results he wanted to achieve. He was said to have the planets chained to his Throne. This was one of the reason he was almost invincible. The Ravana Samhita is the book that has this astrological knowledge .... so the stories say...

I'm afraid I can't tell you much about this text/sources/dates. The information I have are bits and pieces that I have read on the web and on Saptarishis Astrology articles.

Quoting SA:

"Authenticity of Ravana Samhita is doubtful but so far we have found 2 versions and the most original of them is available in a place below Varanasi is what most scholars in Varanasi told us. This version inspite of our volunteer?s efforts have
evaded us. Beloved friend Prof Ramachandra Pandey, Ex-Head Jyotish Dept Banaras Hindu University has given us more specifics but no contact number ?A pandita named Vagishwari Prasad Pathak resident of Gurvalia village in Deoria District near Gorakhpur, brought this book the Ravana Samhita from Nepal. Now that Pandit is no more, but his son Kamakhya Prasad Pathak is using this book in his Astrological practice.? Another team member Ashutosh Kumar says that in Muzaffarpur, Bihar has been to this Pandit and saw it but he wouldn?t share. The one in our possession is not in manuscript form and we ourselves doubt if it is full or totally original version but so far from the commentary that we have published in previous issues you can make out that inspite of its non-original manuscript form, the rules mentioned on nakshatras in Ravana Samhita is most stunning and over rules all nakshatra books so far published. No doubt Ravana was a great scholar and even in the Jyotish famous area of Darbhanga, Bihar the Jyotishis pray to Ravana daily is what is told by Ashutosh Kumar. Another volunteer who has visited the Gorakhpur area Ravana Samhita pandit claims that it contains a lot of mundane astrology prediction (not found in our version) and this prediction his uncle has observed for 30 years all becoming true. All in all the old astrologers belonging to the North Indian Belt of India have often quoted the greatness of Ravana Samhita and though young ones will ignore such rules given in it but the village astrologers commit it to memory to make stunning predictions is what has observed over many years."

I don't recall exactly how I made the connection between The Ravana Samhita and Shubhakaran's Nakshatra books, but I was something I read on a forum or on the net.
I've tried to track it back.. but I have the book since some years , but I found this line in a forum :

"You can try KT Shubhakaran's Nakshtras Vol 1 & 2. Although he didn't mention it explicitly his Vol1 is based on Ravana Samhita and Vol2 on Bhargava Naadika."

So it was something like this that lead me to Shubhakaran.

Therese Hamilton wrote: I see that the book is available on Amazon in Hindi, supposedly translated from the Sanskrit by a Dr. Surkant Jha (2013) I would say this book is highly suspect as to its validity.

hum... yes, true... but all the books coming from India have these amazing covers ;)
But I would not trust it ... I've read several times that because of big fame around this book there is a lot of scams....

The recent translation made by Saptarishis Astrology looks much more reliable. So I'm really looking forward for the rest of the articles. Nevertheless I would still consider Shubhakaran's book, until we have the rest of the SA translation.

Ricardo Moola wrote: (Regarding Ravana Samhita)
They have been editing the translation from time to time. The articles are spread all over the several volumes available on their website.
I gather all the articles into one single pdf. You can download this compilation from my dropbox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3d7irqlvfwhf6 ... ita_SA.pdf

(if you have problems with the download, let me know)
My computer would not handle the download, nor could I read it online. Do you have the dates when these nakshatra articles were published in Saptarishis Astrology?? I suspect your file is very large, and my computer is from the mid 2000's.

I used to receive the SA newsletter, and the editor has asked me for articles, but recently my computer has stalled when trying to load SA newsletters. So I'm out of touch with SA. So, if possible, please let me know the dates (or the range of dates from Ashvini to the last published article on Punarvasu).

If you have individual links to the nakshatra articles, I would appreciate seeing them.

Many thanks,
Therese
Last edited by Therese Hamilton on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Therese Hamilton wrote: My computer would not handle the download, nor could I read it online. Do you have the dates when these nakshatra articles were published in Saptarishis Astrology??
Now they have all the articles combined in massive pdf with 200/300 pages. So it will even harder to find the articles.
I can still give you the references, but you will have to download the 300 pages volume to read one article. Not very handy....although the rest of the articles are also very interesting and good.

But I've uploaded the pdf on scridb, so now you can either read them online or download. Hope now it's ok.

Here is the link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/235970738/Ravana-Samhita

Best Regards. Ricardo