Using the Almuten

I have read several references the the almuten and I think I can even find instructions for the calculations.

However seeing that you can calculate one for every house. . . is it equivalent to the ruler? Above it? Equal? Would someone please clarify how to use it and when? Do you do it as a matter of course or only when needed and how do you determine that.

thanks

There are occasions when the almuten ruler of a house is identical to the planetary ruler, but you'll sometimes find that the almuten ruler is different and this can cause a bit of confusion I guess, as in when there is an application by square from or to the planetary ruler and an application by trine to or from the almuten ruler. In such a case I would *always* go with the planetary ruler of the house, as I see that as being of primary significance. It could be though, that the aspect to the almuten softens the blow a little, or ameliorates the influence of the square.
Personally I think almuten rulerships deserve more attention. The almuten ruler is, after all, the planet who enjoys the most dignities in the degree on the cusp and therefore has a lot of influence over that house.

A case in point is my own natal chart. I have the Moon in Cancer in the 9th house, yet I've noticed that whenever there is a strong transit to my Moon (or progression, or solar arc) there always seems to be a significant development in my personal relationships. This puzzled me for a long time until I discovered that the Moon is the almuten ruler of my 7th cusp.
So I'd say most certainly keep an eye on almuten rulerships but don't put them above the primary significator unless the evidence to do so is very compelling.
==
Pete

Hi,

"Almuten" means "the winner." It refers to whatever planet has the quantitatively greatest rulership over one or more points in a chart. Each of the levels of rulership is assigned points: domicile 5, exaltation 4, triplicity 3, term 2, decan 1.

So, suppose Mercury is at 17 Aries in a diurnal chart, and we want to find the almuten of Mercury (really this is the "almuten of 17 Aries"):

Domicile ruler of Aries: Mars +5
Exalted ruler or Aries: Sun +4
Primary triplicity ruler of a fire sign: Sun +3
Secondary triplicity ruler of a fire sign: Jupiter +3
Participating triplicity ruler of a fire sign: Saturn +3
Term ruler for 17 Aries: Mercury +2
Decan ruler for 17 Aries: Sun +1

If we add these points up, Mars has gotten 5 points, the Sun 8, Jupiter 3, Saturn 3, and Mercury himself 2. The Sun wins and is the almuten.

If you use Egyptian terms and all three Dorothean triplicity rulers, then the almuten of any single position in the zodiac will always be either the domicile or exalted ruler. That may not be the case if you use Ptolemy's terms and triplicity rulers, or use only the primary triplicity ruler (instead of all three as I do).

You can also find the almuten of more than one position, if the positions are related in meaning. For instance, in medieval marriage delineations you'd find the almuten of the Descendent, the Lord of the 7th, and several others. What you do is assign points to the rulers of each position, and tally up the whole total at the end. An almuten could wind up having as many as 50 points or more.

The purpose of finding almutens is really to find a single planet who can be said to take major responsibility for some matter and provide an overall theme. It's an interpretive tool that helps focus the delineation, but is not a substitute for looking at the other factors. For instance, suppose Mars is in detriment in the 8th, and afflicted by Saturn. Now suppose that Mars turns out to be the Almuten or Significator of Children (or Marriage; or Religion). Mars's situation will give broad information about how these matters will go. It could mean something like miscarriage or no children, or a failed marriage, or a hatred of religion. You can use these almutens or significators in predictive techniques like primary directions.

Best,
Ben
www.bendykes.com
Traditional Astrology Texts and Teaching

Hi Pete :)
There are occasions when the almuten ruler of a house is identical to the planetary ruler, but you'll sometimes find that the almuten ruler is different and this can cause a bit of confusion I guess
This was so true, I was a bit leery of even trying to introduce another ?ruler? ? but as you go on to say in respect to the square?
It could be though, that the aspect to the almuten softens the blow a little, or ameliorates the influence of the square.
So it's adding another layer of interpretation where something isn't jelling the way it should... thanks also for using the example from your own chart ?
A case in point is my own natal chart. I have the Moon in Cancer in the 9th house, yet I've noticed that whenever there is a strong transit to my Moon (or progression, or solar arc) there always seems to be a significant development in my personal relationships. This puzzled me for a long time until I discovered that the Moon is the almuten ruler of my 7th cusp.
This not only makes a very clear example but also introduces another factor. I take it you're saying that there were no other obvious aspects being triggered? So if you're responding to something but can't see it in the known aspects/progressions - it could concievably be an almuten's "home" (hope you understand what I mean - can't quite explain :???: ) is the transit in your example to the Moon or the 7th cusp or even a planet the Moon is aspecting?
So I'd say most certainly keep an eye on almuten rulerships...
Ooh...Absolutely? I?ll definitely keep one of my 14 eyes on it from now on (I feel I?m having to double them daily at this stage!) :lol: :P :lol:

Hi Ben :)

I?m very pleased that you and Pete got yourselves in the right order for this bit of my education! Great response - thank you.
So, suppose Mercury is at 17 Aries in a diurnal chart, and we want to find the almuten of Mercury (really this is the "almuten of 17 Aries"):
ermm... I thought that the almuten was taken from the cusp, but that of course leads to a planet, which eventually leads back to a house ? is using the place of the planet in the first instance a shortcut?
If you use Egyptian terms and all three Dorothean triplicity rulers, then the almuten of any single position in the zodiac will always be either the domicile or exalted ruler. That may not be the case if you use Ptolemy's terms and triplicity rulers, or use only the primary triplicity ruler (instead of all three as I do).
:shock: Omigod Benji!. . . I can barely understand it in English and the man wants me to learn Egyptian! :-?

And I?m sorry, you?ll have to excuse me. Dorotheus and I are barely on nodding terms across a crowded subject and I haven?t met his triplets yet because I?m all out of slaves. (?In Dorotheus' astrology every human activity, down to how one handled one's runaway slave was taken account of by the positions of the planets.? ? Nick Campion apparently). However the rest of that particular sentence is a rather fascinating tidbit...
then the almuten of any single position in the zodiac will always be either the domicile or exalted ruler.
always?...but is it ?legal? in classical as opposed to medieval?. I think I'm actually admitting ignorance here of Dorotheus' place in the scheme of things. And is there a reason to find the almuten for a degree other than a planet or cusp?

Bit confused about the 3 in brackets tho? ? do you mean you use all three as in Dorotheus/Ptolemy/primary triplicity rulers?
What you do is assign points to the rulers of each position, and tally up the whole total at the end. An almuten could wind up having as many as 50 points or more.
I?m not sure I like sums that much :???: ? but you did use a tempting example...
The purpose of finding almutens is really to find a single planet who can be said to take major responsibility for some matter and provide an overall theme. It's an interpretive tool that helps focus the delineation, but is not a substitute for looking at the other factors.
I like this Benji?in fact I think this a very nice nutshell that I shall squirrel away.
You can use these almutens or significators in predictive techniques like primary directions.
I can what? :shock: Nice thought but no, I can?t, I have enough trouble with secondaries. :lol:

Kidding aside ? I really do appreciate your generous response and I hope you won?t take offence to the Benji appellation where none was intended ? when I look at the world map, America?s on the right = east ergo Benji = Magi!

Part of this week?s reading is the Michael Jackson post. . . and I?m just into your delineation. It's such an elegant and clear illustration of medieval astrology in action.

Seal of Ji
Seeing a seal of word Ji in a dream, what be the omen?
Shower Dharma nectar equally on all beings to benefit.
After the irrigation clouds vanish and smokes disperse;
All in the world share the sunny sky after rain stopped.

(Yutang Lin)

Many thanks to both you and Pete for enlightening me and feel free to respond or not as the moods take you, to the genuine questions buried in the above somewhere.

(Warning - I have yet to get the courage to tackle the last paragraph under almuten in Deb's glossary :brows )

Sungem

PS - and for those travelling over Easter - do stay safe and well

Hi,

Just a few quick words before I'm on my way out the door:

Rulerships are based on zodiacal positions, so it is really degrees of the zodiac that have almutens. If the ASC is on 17 Aries, its almuten is the Sun; if Mercury is on 17 Aries, its almuten is the still Sun; likewise with the MC or anything else, regardless of where other cusps or planets are. We <i>say</i> "The almuten of the ASC" or "The almuten of Mercury" because what we want to <i>interpret</i> are the ASC or Mercury. But they have the almuten they do because they are on a certain degree of the <i>zodiac</i>.

The "three" rulers. Different sets of triplicity rulers have been handed down from antiquity. The traditional kind practicing astrologers used was the one found in Dorotheus, who assigns three rulers to each triplicity sign. This is sometimes the one called the "Arab" triplicity rulers. Because there are three rulers, the first is called the "primary," the second the "secondary," the third the "participating." Different rulers will play different roles depending on whether the chart is at day or night. The triplicity rulers for fire signs are the Sun, Jupiter, and Saturn.

Ptolemy passed on another method, used by Lilly. Ptolemy has only two rulers for each triplicity, one used in the day, the other at night. In this system, the triplicity rulers for fire signs are the Sun and Jupiter. The terminology of primary/secondary/participating does not apply here.

So what I am saying is that for many almuten calculations in medieval astrology, you assign 3 points to "all three" of the Dorothean rulers, <i>if</i> you are using Dorotheus's system. Sometimes the rules say to only use the primary one. If you were using Ptolemy's system, you'd probably use only the day or night ruler, depending on whether the chart were day or night.

There are lots of good resources on this site and elsewhere that should help you further.

Hope this helps,
Ben

(p.s. Please call me Ben, I don't like being called Benji.)
www.bendykes.com
Traditional Astrology Texts and Teaching

Hi Ben,
Hope this helps,
Ben
Immensely?as you no doubt picked up, I think I was so far off base with this one, I wasn?t even in the ballpark!

However, it's been really informative and I now have several pegs to hang my next lot of information on (though a quick trip through some of those resources appears to have added another 27 items to my reading list :-? ). I think it?s time to backup and consolidate this.

With thanks :)
Sungem

This not only makes a very clear example but also introduces another factor. I take it you're saying that there were no other obvious aspects being triggered?
That's right. In one very significant example I got divorced and moved overseas. At that time there were no transits or progressions to the ruler of my 7th house but both progressed Mercury and pr. Uranus (yes, sec' pr. Uranus!) were exactly aspecting my 9th house Moon, by square and conjunction respectively. The 9th house brought in the overseas journey and the Moon being almuten of the 7th added the relationship factor to the equation. Also, my ex-wife is American!
is the transit in your example to the Moon or the 7th cusp or even a planet the Moon is aspecting?
To the Moon - the almuten ruler of the 7th cusp.
I?ll definitely keep one of my 14 eyes on it from now on (I feel I?m having to double them daily at this stage!)
Just make certain that your other 13 eyes are focused firmly on the primary ruler because that should always take priority in interpretation. The almuten ruler will add a little more depth and tone. In my case the Moon is the Lord of Geniture and very strong, so I'd expect it to make its presence felt as almuten of my 7th house as well as ruler of my 9th.
==
Pete

Oops! - sorry Pete, busy day yesterday house-hunting with and for, a friend. And yes - I feel a horary coming on in the not too distant future. (I did think twice about it considering Mercury is retrograde, but since this has been an off/on subject for her for a couple of years, figured maybe it is an appropriate time to revisit.)
In one very significant example I got divorced and moved overseas. At that time there were no transits or progressions to the ruler of my 7th house but both progressed Mercury and pr. Uranus (yes, sec' pr. Uranus!) were exactly aspecting my 9th house Moon, by square and conjunction respectively.
You mean a sudden emotional upheaval involving long journeys mentally, emotionally and physically and legal issues weren't enough for you? :lol: Simplistic I know and you needed confirmation your partner was involved and found it via the almuten of the 7th - which cements the added value via the almuten.
(yes, sec' pr. Uranus!)
What a relief to see someone actually uses a technique I know of!! :D
Just make certain that your other 13 eyes are focused firmly on the primary ruler because that should always take priority in interpretation.
Yessir!. . . and thanks Pete for helping clear the scrambled brain :D

Sungem