Astrological bibliography: market research survey

This quick survey is aimed both at astrologers and at historians, sociologists and other academics with an interest in the history of astrological literature.

All replies will be carefully noted and very much appreciated. You can send them privately to my email at solger75 [at] gmail [dot] com, or publicly in response to this strand, according to personal preference. I'd prefer you don't use the PM function on Skyscript, however, since the inbox can easily overflow and messages might then go to waste, not getting through.

1. Which, if any, of the following astrological bibliographies of sorts (some are straight bibliographies; others histories containing substantial bibliographical resources) do you either own or have previously owned a copy of?

A) F. Leigh Gardner 'A Catalogue Raisonn? of the Occult Sciences Vol. II: Astrological Books' a.k.a. 'Bibliotheca Astrologica' (1911)

B) Marion R?bkes 'Nova Bibliotheca Astrologica' (2006)

C) Leandro Cantamessa 'Astrologia: Opere a Stampa' (2007)

D) Leandro Cantamessa 'Astrologia Ins and Outs' (2011)

E) James Herschel Holden 'A History of Horoscopic Astrology'

F) James Herschel Holden 'Biographical Dictionary of Western Astrologers'

G) Lynn Thorndike 'A History of Magic and Experimental Science'

H) Para Research 'Astrology Books in Print' (1981)

I) Jacques Halbronn 'Guide de la Vie Astrologique' / 'Guide Astrologique' / 'La Vie Astrologique Ann?es 30-50' / 'La Vie Astrologique il y a cent ans' (any of the above - please specify which)

J) Charles De Herbais de Thun ?Encyclop?die du Mouvement Astrologique de Langue Fran?aise au XXme Si?cle? (1943)

2. Which of the above have you read or browsed in a library, as an online scan, or by way of access to a friend's or associate's copy? Please specify which applies in each case.

3. For all those you have read, please take a few minutes to write down any recollections you may have regarding what you find most useful about them, what you would like to have seen more of, and what could have been improved.

4. How interested do you think you might be in purchasing access to a bibliography based on my private collection of international astrological literature (comprising over 5800 books and pamphlets as well as over 8500 individual issues of hundreds of different titles of journals and almanacs having direct or indirect pertinence to astrology), as:

i) A searchable PDF download;
ii) A print-on-demand hardcover book;
iii) A book finely bound by a traditional antiquarian bookbinder
iv) A pictorially rich (including colour images of covers, tables of contents etc.) online database requiring subscription-based access?

5. If you were interested in any of the above, what do you think would be a reasonable target price, fair to both the user and the content creator?

6. If you were interested in 4 iii), what would be the features of your ideal choice of binding?

7. If you were interested in any of 4 i) to iv), are there any particular features you would like to see in the content of the work?

Please rate each of the following possible inclusions, presently absent from the working draft for the bibliography, as essential (publication should be delayed until it is included), desirable, or expendable (not worth delaying publication for):

i. Physical format of book (softcover, cloth, leather, vellum, etc.; also approx. size)

ii. For books, page count or full collation of a complete copy;

iii. For books, full index by topic to main astrological topical themes of each book (index providing a summary listing by author and title only of all the books on each particular theme, e.g. synastry; medical; medieval techniques; general late 20th century texts)

iv. For journals, complete list of articles in every issue held;

v. For the more notable book authors, brief potted biographies (one sentence) highlighting their main achievements and place in the history of astrological literature, before the alphabetical listing of their works;

vi. For later reprints of works lacked in first edition form, date and bibliographical details of first edition as a footnote

Thank you for your time and help!

Philip