Combustion

Howdy all,

I`ve been reading that medieval and Greek Astrologers regarded combustion as a detrimental or evil aspect,yet some modern astrologers swear that the Sun actually enhance the planets it conjuncts.

How would you expect ,for example,a Mars-Mercury-Sun conjunction would affect Mercury,if you indeed think combustion is a bad thing?

Not all ancient astrologers mention combustion,like Valens,or Maternus
From Maternus:

"25.
The sixth house is compared to the twelfth so that all planets in these houses have sluggish action. But Mercury in this house will make learned men of letters, orators, geometers, teachers. They constantly sell their orations or defenses or come to the aid of men in trouble with the protection of their oratory and free them from danger. They seem to be more intelligent than all others and have great learning. This happens only when Jupiter is in aspect, or Mercury is not attacked by malefic planets.
IfMars is in opposition or square aspect or in conjunction, this will make informers, misers, and malicious tricksters, also malevolent poisoners. Through these activities they incur serious charges. Or they will be condemned as forgers. For they falsify records of public deeds and for this are condemned to death. There is also danger through slaves or because of slaves."

I was reading about a former Brasilian Prime Minister,S?crates, who was arrested. he is said to have been a verbal fighter,sarcastic,with an ability to humiliate his rivals.
Here`s his chart :

http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Jos?_S?crates

Not only the conjunction is in 6th house, but all he seems to have to help him is Venus,angular and in its own sign
MC ruler cadente and in aversion to MC.Mercury is in 6th but exalted.

Thanks

zoidsoft wrote:This topic comes up quite frequently so you might want to search combustion in this forum. There are exceptions to combustion such as "being in own chariot" and cazimi conjunction.
I know,but that`s not the case here.
thanks

Hi Jack,

first, a small correction: Jos? S?crates is a Portuguese Ex-Prime Minister, not Brazilian. We share the same language, but there is all an Atlantic ocean in between.. :)

About his chart, I would be wary to interpret his arrest directly from the Natal chart. There could be some indications on Primary Directions and/or Solar Returns, although I have not check any of them..

However, I would interpret the combustion of his Asc Ruler (Mars) by the ruler of the 5th as him personally getting sometimes affected by matters of the 5th house. Curiously, during his government there were some rumours about affairs (although he is/was divorced). And more recently, he has been know to live in one of the most expensive areas of Paris living "the good live", something that cost him also somewhat of his public image.. All, matters from the 5th house..

Regarding the Asc Ruler conjunct Mercury, both planets are well placed regarding essential dignities and Mars is even in his house joy, which is considered an accidental dignity. S?crates is known around here as the "philosopher", and the first thing he asked to his ex-wife when he got to prison yesterday were some philosophy books in French.

His Mercury is essentially dignified, and he is considered by many a master in political rethorics.

I do enjoy when traditional astrology is quite practical and "laser-focus"! :)

Jo?o Ventura

jventura wrote:Hi Jack,

first, a small correction: Jos? S?crates is a Portuguese Ex-Prime Minister, not Brazilian. We share the same language, but there is all an Atlantic ocean in between.. :)

About his chart, I would be wary to interpret his arrest directly from the Natal chart. There could be some indications on Primary Directions and/or Solar Returns, although I have not check any of them..

However, I would interpret the combustion of his Asc Ruler (Mars) by the ruler of the 5th as him personally getting sometimes affected by matters of the 5th house. Curiously, during his government there were some rumours about affairs (although he is/was divorced). And more recently, he has been know to live in one of the most expensive areas of Paris living "the good live", something that cost him also somewhat of his public image.. All, matters from the 5th house..

Regarding the Asc Ruler conjunct Mercury, both planets are well placed regarding essential dignities and Mars is even in his house joy, which is considered an accidental dignity. S?crates is known around here as the "philosopher", and the first thing he asked to his ex-wife when he got to prison yesterday were some philosophy books in French.

His Mercury is essentially dignified, and he is considered by many a master in political rethorics.

I do enjoy when traditional astrology is quite practical and "laser-focus"! :)

Jo?o Ventura
Oh sorry about my mistake Jo?o.
Yes,he is said to have gone to Paris to study Philosophy after losing the elections. What I`ve read in Mathesis about Mercury-Mars in 6th house also fits their description of him-
But if Mercury and Mars are found by night in the sixth or twelfth houses, the natives will be involved in debts and interest payments to usurers. They will have violent emotions and be cheated by embezzlers; be sluggish in all occupations and suffer serious accusations and ill will from slaves or on account of slaves. Some are cruciflers of slaves or wear out their own slaves by famine, torture, disease, or constant toil. They never continue in one occupation but are constantly changing from one to the other.
Mercury together with Mars in the seventh house, that is, the

Thanks