Do you use the Mean or True Moon's Node?

If this question is in the wrong forum, please move it, but it is a question about a technique, and I am curious how the Ancients handled it? And how you traditional astrologers, and any other astrologers here, handle it?

I use very small orbs, one degree or less, so the get-out that the Mean and True nodes are always quite close together isn't good enough. It makes all the difference in the world.

From personal observation do you use the Mean or True Moon's Node, or both? And what did the Ancient astrologers do? I assume they only had the Mean Node, and that the True Node is recent? Maybe they didn't use it at all - though as the Indian astrologers call them Rahu and Ketu and think of them as extremely important, I doubt that. Do Indian astrologers use the Mean or True Node? Do they use exact aspects under one degree?

My sources are quite limited, but in On the Heavenly Spheres, Lu?s Ribeiro and Helena Avelar have a full chapter (Chapter 11) about the nodes.

They mention the use of the mean nodes, and an orb of 12? (12? for each side of the node, total of 24?). I don't know where exactly did they got this information from, maybe if you send them an email they may answer.

Jo?o Ventura

Bernadette Brady says always use mean. If I remember correctly it is because she observed the mean node degree in solar return charts is highly significant if another planet in the SR occupies that degree (in any sign).

Donna Chang wrote:Bernadette Brady says always use mean. If I remember correctly it is because she observed the mean node degree in solar return charts is highly significant if another planet in the SR occupies that degree (in any sign).
Thanks. Bernadette Brady is good, and this seems like her own observation.

Fleur wrote:
Do Indian astrologers use the Mean or True Node? Do they use exact aspects under one degree?
Indian astrologers have always used the Mean Node, but I suspect that some of the younger Jyotish astrologers, especially in western countries, may use the True Node. (Which isn't really "true," but that's another subject.) Indian astrologers wouldn't be concerned about very close aspects, since sometimes aspects are considered only sign-to-sign. Rahu and Ketu are said to give only trine aspects (5th and 9th) along with conjunctions.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

Therese Hamilton wrote:Fleur wrote:
Do Indian astrologers use the Mean or True Node? Do they use exact aspects under one degree?
Indian astrologers have always used the Mean Node, but I suspect that some of the younger Jyotish astrologers, especially in western countries, may use the True Node. (Which isn't really "true," but that's another subject.) Indian astrologers wouldn't be concerned about very close aspects, since sometimes aspects are considered only sign-to-sign. Rahu and Ketu are said to give only trine aspects (5th and 9th) along with conjunctions.
Thanks. Do you know if Indian astrologers use the transiting Moon's node? The True and Mean nodes can have a discrepancy of a month, which makes which one you use essential for timing events.

Saturnhead wrote:Use the Interpolated True Node.
I don't know what the Interpolated node is.

Any particular reason you say to use the True Node?

Myself, I strongly tend towards using the Mean Node, because of observation and experience. I ask the question because I am not totally sure, and wondered if anyone else had studied it, and also if traditional astrologers had anything to say about particularly the transiting node used as a timing device?

Fleur wrote:
Saturnhead wrote:Use the Interpolated True Node.
I don't know what the Interpolated node is.

Any particular reason you say to use the True Node?

Myself, I strongly tend towards using the Mean Node, because of observation and experience. I ask the question because I am not totally sure, and wondered if anyone else had studied it, and also if traditional astrologers had anything to say about particularly the transiting node used as a timing device?
"True node is really not true and is the worst option in my opinion. The problem with Nodes is that they are only in existence twice a month, the rest of the time they are interpolated. Mean node does not always line up with these to times that it is actually there. So I use something called Interpolated True Node where the two times it is in existence per month are precisely calculated and then intermediate positions are interpolated." - EW
If it's not astronomically true, it's not astrologically true.