jventura wrote:Hi Curtis,

I'm following a simpler approach which is to define a planet as stationary when its longitude speed is less than 1 arc-second. There are other approaches, but it seems no one knows which is the "correct" one.. :)

The source code is quite simple: https://github.com/flatangle/flatlib/bl ... ct.py#L131

Jo?o Ventura
Yes... Speed is the 4th value in the array xx[0.6] returned by the Swiss Ephemeris (which uses iteration btw). I was referring to finding the date/time of a station, not whether a planet happens to be stationary at a given moment which is a different problem. The problem with using speed is that different planets have different averages (which is not much of a problem if you set which constant to use), but if you're using speed alone without the correct iteration interval, you risk skipping over an instance of stationary movement during the course of the year.

I have my own set of calculations based upon Jean Meeus's Astronomical Algorithms which I never completely finished because then I found the Swiss Ephemeris.
Curtis Manwaring
Zoidiasoft Technologies, LLC

jventura wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm happy to announce a new update to the Charts web app! It features a redesigned interface and some minor error corrections. :)

Find it at http://apps.flatangle.com/Charts/

Enjoy,
Jo?o Ventura

Thanks,

looks good but when the planet is on the cusp of the angles it's degree and minute values get partially masked.There should be a separate column for the planetary data.
eg: if saturn is on the cusp of Asc- 4 deg 54 min- then it is not clear if it 54 mins or 34 mins as the thickness of the line occludes the top half of 5.

PD

Astraea wrote:I just want to thank you again for this lovely, much-needed web app. Having the terms present on the chart is so helpful, and the form and fonts are beautiful.
Hello Astraea, and thanks for the compliment! :)
Martin Gansten wrote:Indeed, it looks great. I'd love to use it, and so, I'm sure, would many others who use a sidereal zodiac (which, incidentally, is the zodiac in which the terms first appeared). Any chance of an ayanamsha feature, Jo?o?
Hello Martin, I've been somewhat busy rewriting the code for my other project flatlib. But I hope to implement the sidereal zodiac as soon as possible.. :)
pankajdubey wrote: Thanks,

looks good but when the planet is on the cusp of the angles it's degree and minute values get partially masked.There should be a separate column for the planetary data.
eg: if saturn is on the cusp of Asc- 4 deg 54 min- then it is not clear if it 54 mins or 34 mins as the thickness of the line occludes the top half of 5.

PD
Hello Pankajdubey, you are quite right! :) My availability is low currently, but I'm planning to include more features in next releases, including information in tabular form (planetary hours, planet data, etc.).

Thank you all,
Jo?o Ventura

Jo?o and Zoidsoft,

I have recently been working with Paul Schlyter's algorithms for calculating planetary positions.
This is, I believe, based on Jean Meeus's Astronomical Algorithms which zoidsoft has mentioned using.

And I have been using Michael P. Munkasey's House Formulary for calculating MC and ASC.

The algorithms for calculating planetary positions are producing good results, but when comparing my calculated MC and ASC to those produced by Astrodienst there is a difference that cannot be ignored.

I note that flatangle also produces MCs and ASCs slightly different from Astrodienst (about half of a degree in the one chart I have compared).

This may be only a slight discrepancy but these are important angles and given the same data of time and place I would expect results to be the same to within 1 arc second.

Adding the Local Sidereal Time to the flatangle chart would be useful.

Any help anyone can offer on calculating the MC and ASC would be more than welcome.

Jo?o please don't take my criticism the wrong way. What you have done is quite illuminating especially with the terms and decans included.

skyrack wrote:I note that flatangle also produces MCs and ASCs slightly different from Astrodienst (about half of a degree in the one chart I have compared).
Hi skyrack,

I use the Swiss Ephemeris, which is the ephemeris from the Astrodienst guys, so it should return the same results. Did you check the timezone? Sometimes people enter the wrong timezone data..

If it's possible, you can send me the data to my email and what results it should give, and I'll try to see if there is any error. My email is flatangleweb at gmail.com

Jo?o Ventura

Time zone being off by 1 hour usually produces an ascendant difference of 10-20 degrees. I'd check the location data next to make sure that latitude and longitude are correct. One factor that affects the ascendant is delta time which is estimated differently depending upon the source and the era. In the Swiss Ephemeris this is calculated automatically in the conversion from UTC to ephemeris time and the function used to calculate house cusps can use either ephemeris time or universal time. A possible error here is using one time standard when another is called for. A difference of 1/2 degree is about 2 minutes of clock time.
Curtis Manwaring
Zoidiasoft Technologies, LLC