Planetary sect & Hayz

:D Hi Skyscripters!
I am a little confused about the astrological terms of sect &hayz.
Although I do understand these terms , was under the impression that they are the same :-?
Am I wrong?
Any help appreciated!
Wishes SG
Enjoy what you learn,as it keeps the mind youthful!!

Sect is easy.

Moon, Mars, Venus, in sect by night.

Sun, Saturn, Jupiter in sect by day.

Hayz is more complex.

Say Moon is out of sect but below the horizon and in a feminine sign it's in hayz.

Now, if it is above the horizon in a nocturnal chart, and in a feminine sign, it is both in sect and hayz.

Sect is the more powerful dignity. The whole nature of the chart is changed according to the sect.

I suppose you can add these up. Moon in sect, and above the horizon gives two bonuses, but if she's in Aries, then she's one short of sect and hayz.

As to the effects of sect and hayz? I read a great article on here about out of sect planets being real trouble makers, Mars out of sect is extremely rash despite essential dignity, Saturn out of sect is extremely miserable.

On the other hand, put Venus in sect, I guess you would double the good qualities of her. I'd like to study more about the effects of these dignities.

Hi Nightsky :D
Thank you for your concise reply! I do understand sect,but was confused about a planet being in Hayz.
Since my post I have acquired Barbara Dunn's excellent book,"Horary astrology re examined" & understand this term of Hayz.
Wishes SG :'
Enjoy what you learn,as it keeps the mind youthful!!

Robert Schmidt brought up the idea of sect as partisan politics. The Greek word used is "hairesis" which means division, sect (as in religious sect) or school of thought. The idea of predomination demonstrates what sect is within the context of planetary politics. One side is primarily in charge and the other side tries to hold the excesses of the majority in check.

Schmidt demonstrated several proofs using the Thema Mundi and the planetary joys, the relationships of the exaltations through counteraction, etc which all demonstrate how sect works (he masculine planets hate handing over power which is why they joy in the places where they don't).

Hayz or hayiz, is a medieval concept that combines joys with sect. In particular the idea that diurnal planets like to be above the horizon during the day and below at night and similarly with the nocturnal planets by night that they prefer to be on the opposite side (above) at night. And if a planet of the diurnal sect is also in a masculine sign above the horizon by day then it is in hayz. At night, a nocturnal planet above the horizon in a feminine sign is in hayz. The opposite condition, Rob Hand coined the term "ex-conditione".

I explained this stuff years ago on this forum and the posts should still be there if you dig hard enough.
Curtis Manwaring
Zoidiasoft Technologies, LLC