French book on Indian astrology

For any members who read French, I can recommend a book published in 2013 which I recently came across:
Le Discours du destin: La pratique de l'astrologie ? B?nar?s
Caterina GUENZI (CNRS Editions)

I expect Martin Gansten is aware of its existence, as his paper on Nadi astrology is listed in the bibliography (which is quite hefty). The book (443pp) deals with the origins and sources of astrology in India, in what seems to me to be a well-researched and balanced way, and it's place in society and in the context of religious beliefs and practices. But it mainly deals with astrology as actually practised today in B?nar?s, day to day. It's well illustrated and is also a painless way of becoming familiar with many sanskrit terms associated with astrology, clearly explained (and impeccably transcribed - I think). Guenzi is a university lecturer, and the publishers are the the national French scientific research body - all seems a bit surprising.
Extracts, contents etc can be viewed here: http://www.babelio.com/livres/Guenzi-Le ... 5/extraits

Graham

Re: French book on Indian astrology

Graham F wrote:For any members who read French, I can recommend a book published in 2013 which I recently came across:
Le Discours du destin: La pratique de l'astrologie ? B?nar?s
Caterina GUENZI (CNRS Editions)

I expect Martin Gansten is aware of its existence, as his paper on Nadi astrology is listed in the bibliography (which is quite hefty). The book (443pp) deals with the origins and sources of astrology in India, in what seems to me to be a well-researched and balanced way, and it's place in society and in the context of religious beliefs and practices. But it mainly deals with astrology as actually practised today in B?nar?s, day to day. It's well illustrated and is also a painless way of becoming familiar with many sanskrit terms associated with astrology, clearly explained (and impeccably transcribed - I think). Guenzi is a university lecturer, and the publishers are the the national French scientific research body - all seems a bit surprising.
Extracts, contents etc can be viewed here: http://www.babelio.com/livres/Guenzi-Le ... 5/extraits

Graham
She mentions (Late)Dr.Muralidhar Pandey, he was indeed a Lecturer in Jyotisha at Banaras Hindu University and he made the Horoscope of members of my family in 1985.There were a few overseas students registered in the Jyotisha course under him even at that time. Benaras(Varanasi) has been a seat of ancient Sanskrit learning.

PD