Can Malefics afflict through trines and sextiles?

I am studying seriously medieval astrology and am wondering if a malefic, especially in its fall or detriment, can actually harm another planet through what are typically regarded as benefic aspects (trines and sextiles). An example would be that a friend of mine has Saturn retrograde in Leo in very close trine to Jupiter in Sagittarius. So I'm wondering if this aspect should be interpreted as an ease of affliction from Saturn or if in fact instead Jupiter, strong in Sagittarius, actually could be interpreted as offering aid to Saturn.

the Titanic sunk with the Moon in trine to Mars. sextiles and trines indicate ease, but sometimes this can mean an ease with which a malefic is able to damage. the Titanic didn't hang on the rocks for days -- it sunk in two hours. that is ridiculously fast. a trine to Saturn in Leo sounds tough, but could be alleviated somewhat if Jupiter dominates the trine, or if a benefic influence lends an assisting ray. no hard and fast rule -- you have to take it all in stride and put every aspect in context of supporting factors (because if something is reliable, it will be shown in at least 3 ways).
http://wadecaves.com | hello@wadecaves.com

Re: Can Malefics afflict through trines and sextiles?

Lazarus wrote:I am studying seriously medieval astrology and am wondering if a malefic, especially in its fall or detriment, can actually harm another planet through what are typically regarded as benefic aspects (trines and sextiles). An example would be that a friend of mine has Saturn retrograde in Leo in very close trine to Jupiter in Sagittarius. So I'm wondering if this aspect should be interpreted as an ease of affliction from Saturn or if in fact instead Jupiter, strong in Sagittarius, actually could be interpreted as offering aid to Saturn.
Don't forget the dictum of trines in signs of long ascension acting as opposition.

https://tonylouis.wordpress.com/2012/01 ... t-a-trine/

http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1742

PD

Hi Wade :D
In the sinking of the Titanic chart, the Moon separates from the trine of Mars, L.12, but what I find puzzling from this chart is that Jupiter is conjunct the Asc & in his domicile! Surely an angular & dignified benefic would bring good fortune..how do you interpret that?
Wishes Saturngirl :-?
Enjoy what you learn,as it keeps the mind youthful!!

Hi Saturngirl,

I remember thinking the same thing when I saw the Titanic chart.

The rationale I came up with is that Jupiter/Sagittarius/1st signifies a big ship sinking and resulting in mass casualties because Jupiter also rules Pisces/4th (significator of sinking) and is exalted ruler of the 8th (death).

It also signifies the enormity of the tradgedy and the iconic, almost mythical status of the Titanic and her sinking on her maidan voyage.

Hi Stellarium
:) Thanks for your astute reply! ! Yes of course that makes sense as Jupiter is also dispositor of the Moon (the passengers), in the 4th of drowning & sinking down into the depths of the ocean :(
Wishes SG
:'
Enjoy what you learn,as it keeps the mind youthful!!

Re: Can Malefics afflict through trines and sextiles?

Lazarus wrote:I An example would be that a friend of mine has Saturn retrograde in Leo in very close trine to Jupiter in Sagittarius. So I'm wondering if this aspect should be interpreted as an ease of affliction from Saturn or if in fact instead Jupiter, strong in Sagittarius, actually could be interpreted as offering aid to Saturn.
Sa generally can not harm the Ju because trine. This is not valid if the natal Sa receives hard aspects of Ur or Ne or Pl...