Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

The Man Who Saw the Future Bio of Lilly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: The Man Who Saw the Future Bio of Lilly Reply with quote

New Bio of William Lilly. It is available in the US on Kindle now and will be available in print in September. It might be available in print in the UK now. I just learned of it. Here is a sample.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23395792-the-man-who-saw-the-future
Tom

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an FYI, I know nothing of the author, the author's qualifications, or the content of the book other than what the blurbs say. It could be groundbreaking; it could be awful. The US Publisher, Random House is a major book publisher, and that is a pretty good sign they think it will sell. I hate reading on a computer, but since the Kindle edition is only $10 US, and it won't be published here until September, I might download it.
Mark

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume many people have already read the recent book by Peter Stockinger and Sue Ward on the life of William Lilly.

It seems appropriate to mention it to members in the context of this thread: http://www.amazon.co.uk/William-Lilly-Magician-Adept-Astrologer/dp/1906958629

A review on You Tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stp2ECB8eJ0

Mark
Vasanth

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At astro.com -> http://www.astro.com/astrology/in_lilly_e.htm
Saturngirl

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all Smile
The author Catherine Blackledge is coming to my local astrology group in March, to do a talk on her book!
I downloaded a free sample from amazon onto my kindle app so will be interested to see how it reads.
Wishes SG Leery

Tom

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered Ward & Stockinger's book today. The newer one is a bit problematic. We have an old iPad, a device my wife and I found particularly useless. So I thought, I'd fire it up and download this latest and read it on that - thereby saving myself $80 for a Kindle. Well no such luck. The old iPad will not support ios 7.0 and that is the minimum the ap will need to work. I've been told ios 5 is all that the iPad 1 can handle. So I either wait until September or force myself to read it on the computer.

If anyone knows a way around this where I can use my old iPad, please feel free to let me know here or in a PM.

Thanks.
Tom

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Thank you Vasanth for the link to a preview of the newer book.
pankajdubey

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
Mark

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered Ward & Stockinger's book today. The newer one is a bit problematic. We have an old iPad, a device my wife and I found particularly useless. So I thought, I'd fire it up and download this latest and read it on that - thereby saving myself $80 for a Kindle. Well no such luck. The old iPad will not support ios 7.0 and that is the minimum the ap will need to work. I've been told ios 5 is all that the iPad 1 can handle. So I either wait until September or force myself to read it on the computer.

If anyone knows a way around this where I can use my old iPad, please feel free to let me know here or in a PM.

Thanks.

Try enabling the Kindle cloud reader(it is not OS dependent):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_bc_nav?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200701430

Then you can enable offline reading on your Ipad.

and read on your Safari for Ipad in offline mode:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201255020

PD
Tom

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pankajdubey

I'll try that. Thank you.
Tom

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With some difficulty I managed to do as suggested and downloaded and began reading the book. I had to upgrade the OS in order to upgrade Safari and then after some grumbling and swearing everything was fine.

I'm enjoying the book and may post a brief review when I'm done. Thanks again.
Southern Cross

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBC made an short interview with the author Catherine Blackledge which is worth listening to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02jfmnn

from min. 75 - 85
22 days left for listening
astralwanderer

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: AA Conference Reply with quote

The author of this Lilly biography is talking at the Astrological Association Conference this year.

http://www.astrologicalassociation.com/pages/conference/2015/index.php

Plato, Timaeus, 90.
astralwanderer

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating interview. Thanks for the link.

Plato, Timaeus, 90.
Tom

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this elsewhere yesterday:

I finished the book last night. It’s only about 200 pages and I say “about” because I read an electronic version, so I’m not sure how many print pages there are. It is a short book. Catherine Blackledge is promoting the idea that William Lilly and astrology, played a prominent part in the English Civil War and that story deserves to be known. In the past John recommended the book “The World Turned Upside Down; Radical Ideas during the English Revolution” by Christopher Hill, to get a good grasp on the period. Hill gives Lilly a couple of lines. Blackledge fills out the story.

She used Lilly’s autobiography, his other papers, Ashmole’s papers and whatever else she could find to put together an account of Lilly’s life during this period and up until his death at age 79. She gives us a glimpse into his professional practice, and his personal life, but mostly she is concerned with his almanacs and the political pressures he and others lived with in an era of censorship. Lilly was arrested 9 times for his writings, and conviction on any of these charges had serious consequences up to and including the death penalty. Public attacks by rivals, such as George Wharton and John Gadbury could result in arrest, if their side was in power. Toward the end, ol’ Bill really softened up his political statements and predictions, and with good reason. Wharton and Gadbury, too, would find themselves on the wrong side of the power struggle and look at the possibility of ending their lives at the end of a rope, but mercifully, neither did.

Of course this explains some of Lilly’s more cryptic predictions. Predicting the death of a sovereign, for example, was illegal as was publishing his birth chart. Lilly didn’t publish Charles I chart, but did reference his ASC and that was almost enough to put him in jail for a long time. He frequently needed, and was given, political help from his friends to avoid imprisonment, and he would return the favors.

There are some silly astrological mistakes in the book that an editor with a good astrology background would have caught. Capricorn is not a fixed sign. A platic aspect is not a perfect aspect. There is nothing I found that would change context.

There is a debate on a Facebook page over whether or not Blackledge used the correct birth chart for Lilly. The two in question have close angles, but one has a Capricorn Moon the other a Pisces Moon on the ASC. Of course that is a significant difference, but the book is not a delineation of Lilly’s chart and this discussion, although appropriate, has no bearing on the thesis of the book.

Overall this is a highly readable account of a complicated affair that had lasting effects on Western Civilization, and one of our own played an important role. Well worth the time and money.

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Saw-Future-Biography-ebook/dp/B00RKQ63I0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425560178&sr=1-1&keywords=the+man+who+saw+the+future
Deb
Administrator

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting review Tom.
Quote:
Of course this explains some of Lilly’s more cryptic predictions. Predicting the death of a sovereign, for example, was illegal as was publishing his birth chart. Lilly didn’t publish Charles I chart, but did reference his ASC and that was almost enough to put him in jail for a long time.

Coincidentally, I was reminded yesterday of a really good article John Dawson published in the AA journal in 2007. It was called "A Time to Die: William Lilly and the Execution of Charles I".

Dawson gives a good argument that Lilly was consulted in the election of the date of Charles' execution (30 Jan 1649), although Lilly protests that he was not fully aware of what the election was for. The article also references a horary Lilly judged "If King Charles should be beheaded?" (cast 19th Jan - published in Anglicus, An Ephemeris for 1646 to 1650). The judgement begins by saying
Quote:
There was never in this kingdom, perhaps in the world, the like astrological question propounded and answered ...

...because this situation has the king's subjects sitting as judges over him.

The significations of death are clearly reported and then Lilly says
Quote:
Considering all these woeful aspects, I certainly concluded he would die and be put to death. But being demanded if there were no hope for his life [the question was asked by a royalist]; I better viewed the figure, and finding Jupiter in platick trine to the Sun and Saturn, and that Mercury did hasten unto his trine; I said there would be much intercession for sparing his life, and that if he survived the last of January, it was possible he might live a little longer... But God determined his life to end the thirtieth of January. The party who inquired of me, gave it out, how I said, that if his Majesty escaped the 31 of January, there was hopes of his life, which begot that infamous scandal cast upon me, viz, that I should advise the council of war to put him to death the 30th of January, or else they should never have the power to do it.

So Lilly did predict the death and appears to have been somehow involved in the choice of date for it. John points out how Lilly's biography details a meeting with two leading members of Parliament, just after Christmas, where he was requested to bring along his almancs.

Quote:
'If we are not fools and knaves,' saith he, 'we shall do justice' then they whispered. I understood not their meaning till his Majesty was beheaded. They applied what I wrote of justice, to be understood of his Majesty, which was contrary to my intention; for Jupiter, the first day of January, became direct; and Libra is a sign signifying Justice; I implored for justice generally upon such as had cheated in their places, being treasurers, and such like officers. I had not then heard the least intimation of bringing the King unto trial

Really good piece of research by John Dawson. The concern over these actions came much later of course, when the Stuarts were restored, and anyone involved in the King's death faced execution for treason. Lilly was very fortunate to escape considering that he appears to have (unwittingly according to him) elected the date, and his judgement of the horary, at the very least, cast infamous scandal on him, with suggestions that he urged the execution to take place before the month was ended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> News, Notices, Books, Links All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: