Horary Astrology

Sorry in advance if I've posted in the wrong section.

Can a person, provided he/she has studied and perhaps taken the route of training with a good teacher, earn a decent living as a horary Practitioner in the UK. I'm talking good old honest one on one client work, and no writing or lecturing to supplement one's income. Do any forum members already do or have done this, or know of anyone that does. What are the pitfalls?

Taurus

Thats a difficult one to answer really, not everyone that practices horary has a qualification in it and whether you make money from something doesn't necessarily depend on what you know of the subject. Just because you have a certificate doesn't mean you do it better than someone who doesn't so its all relative. I learnt horary with John Frawley and passed his course but have no paying clients - plenty of people to read charts for but getting them to part with cash is not an easy thing to do or ask for even though they are pleased with their reading and judgements turn out to be right! Depending on how you go about it there is nothing stopping you from making a living from it, but I doubt without some serious luck that you could make an immediate living from it. Advertising (expensive) and word of mouth probably help and making sure you know your craft, you want people to keep coming back and refer their friends and family. The other problem is not a lot of people know what horary is which always means an explanation first which can be tiresome. With any business there are pitfalls but research your market, find out whats out there, what others charge - that sort of thing.

All the best

Sco

Hello Taurus,

I think it depends what kind of living you want, but Taurus with a Leo Glyph is not about slumming it really!!

To be honest it strikes me that, aside from complementing the income, the writing and lecturing will get you know and bring in the clients in the first place. It must be hard actually to get the business coming in without people getting to know you and the way to do that is to get up there and talk to them, or at least to have a web-site in place.

I have been charging for horaries for quite a few months now and this all started when I presented a one-third part of a talk for my local group. I shared a couple of horaries I had done for my course (with John Frawley) and from that I got two consultations directly from the audience plus four word-of-mouth following on from those.

I think there must be easier, quicker and more lucrative ways of making money - just not NEARLY as interesting!!

Good luck.
Susan,
Edinburgh.
www.horaryqueen.co.uk

I think there must be easier, quicker and more lucrative ways of making money - just not NEARLY as interesting!!
Am I right in saying that our good friend Mr Lilly was averaging around 2000 questions a year. That's 5-6 per day average. Also, on the other side of the pond, I have read that Noel Tyl consults with 6-7 clients daily.

Taurus

Hi,

Wow! 5-6 clients a day sounds exhausting! I reckon I could cope with about 3 per day but I'd need a day or two off every week. I think you'd have to have a real good name to get that number of clients too - usually you would consult someone either on word-of-mouth or because you've read a book or heard a talk or something, so could take a long time to build up that sort of clientelle.

Anyway, good luck with your practice. I'm sure with skill and determination you would do well. What do you reckon you would charge for a consultation?

Bye for now.
Susan,
Edinburgh.
www.horaryqueen.co.uk

Anyway, good luck with your practice. I'm sure with skill and determination you would do well. What do you reckon you would charge for a consultation?
Hello Horary Queen,

You misunderstood my post. I do not, and have no intention of practicing horary as a profession.

How would you rate the effectiveness of the horary consultations that you have done. Were they successful? Just curious. 8)

taurus
ps What's the going rate of a horary consultation?

Hi,

Oops - yes I did get the impression you were asking because you wanted to be a professional Horary practitioner!

To be honest I've had some fantastic feedack! Great word of mouth stuff too. If you want to see some examples you can check out my web-site when it arrives.

Regarding fees, as you will know William Lilly did stipulate the question should be one of reasonable gravity. I reckon if it's of equal or more importance than a crisp twenty pound note then that should see it okay. Not sure what the 'going rate' is but I say I charge between ?20-?30 and usually charge ?20 unless it's a particularly complicated one.

I will keep you updated as my Horary practice progresses - my web-site should be out soon and also I am hoping to do a couple of talks at local groups in the UK where I might get some more consultations. In addition, one day, I hope I will be able to use all these consultations to create some sort of book.

So, why were you asking then?

Bye for now.
Susan,
Edinburgh.
www.horaryqueen.co.uk