I don't have trouble accessing articles that are linked to on other pages of Skyscript, but I frequently get a "404 - not found" message when I search for specific topics that I know are here.

SaturnGirl

Can you be specific please?

Can you include the actual URL of the article you are trying to access as well as the page you are trying to access it from?

I checked the articles page myself and was able to, for example, open the two pages there which are related to reception that I found.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" - Socrates

https://heavenlysphere.com/

Thanks for letting me know about this Paul. I'm afraid that page on reception is no longer available. It is the one page on the site that I took down, a year or so ago, to secure a copyright issue for a printed publication of an article on the same theme. I thought I had removed all links to it, but obviously I missed one, and will remove that today.

The header mentions problems accessing "certain articles" but I don't think this problem should occur with any other page on the site. If it does please let me know and give the page that contains the link, so I can check. There are thousands of pages on the site, but this is the only page that I am aware of that is no longer available.

Astraea, do you mean you get problems searching for topics in the forum rather than the main site? If so, is your search originating from a search engine, or from the search facility in the forum itself?

Deb wrote:Astraea, do you mean you get problems searching for topics in the forum rather than the main site? If so, is your search originating from a search engine, or from the search facility in the forum itself?
Hi Deb. I get problems using the main site search engine (the search facility in the forum is fine). Every search I perform on the main site yields a 404 message. But as Saturngirl's post was the first I'd seen that described something similar, the difficulty could be related to something in my computer software. The workaround isn't hard, I just go to an article on the site that contains relevant links, and proceed from there (the links work fine).

Ah - you mean the search facility on the home page? I just tried it myself and get the same problem. I haven't tried it out for years because I use the list of links in the 'articles' tab at the top. It looks like the program that provided the search is now redundant - I'll have to take a look at this when I have a bit more time. I'll report back when it is fixed.

I also got a confirmation from Saturngirl that the reception article was the only page she had experienced a problem with. I've taken down the remaining links to that page now, so that home page search box seems to be the only thing that needs attention.

Thanks for providing the feedback.

Astraea wrote:
Deb wrote:Ah - you mean the search facility on the home page?
Right, the home page. Thank you for letting me know it's not just my computer being ornery.
In the meantime, if you want to do a search of the skyscript site, I recommend you use google and include this in the your search:
site:skyscript.co.uk

For example if you google this, you will find mentions of the word 'reception' that are found on the site:

site:skyscript.co.uk reception

Only results from this site will be returned.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" - Socrates

https://heavenlysphere.com/