What happened to my dog?

Greetings, i am new to this forum as well as horary astrology, so i hope this posting is helpful both ways. I am a practicing medieval astrology practioner (CMA), just a couple of years. I was approached with my first query a few days ago and armed with the limited knowledge of horary i have, i attempted to find the answer. Normally i would have avoided the question as i am somewhat of a horary rookie, but the querent was truly concerned and the question seemed adaquately asked.
Nearly a week ago, my girlfriend lost her small peekinese (dog). He is old/feeble and wondered out of the gate, we live in the woods where it has been snowing steadily for awhile. There are not many neighbors and nowhere for him to run, so we assumed a neighbor found him. After a few days of checking the nearest neighbors and posting flyers i had assumed he froze or wild animals got him, though my girlfriend couldn't make up her mind on what to believe.
Randomly one night after we had stopped talking about it she came home from work and asked if my astrology could help bring closure to the issue. The question, "what happened to my dog" was posed at 12:55AM early Saturday (01-08-2005) just outside of Bend, Oregon (US). The Asc. i worked with was 23 degrees of Libra 18 minutes. I use whole signs to check my natal methods, and with older techniques, so that is what i employed this time.
I immediately noticed a Sagitarius stellium containg the sig. of the querent and the moon. Jupiter was used as the significator for the dog, as he is ruler of the 6th (sml. animals) as he is rising in the chart and ruler of the 3rd (neighbors) i told her he was in the neighborhood and would come to her, though the configuration in the third (Mars heading the stellium, and the moon between him and a afflicted mercury) said that something was amiss and i said he may be under ill conditions. I would have not shared this info if our immediate neighbor wouldn't had come over tonite and told me they had found him.
Apparently two houses down he was hiding under a car that had been covered by a snow bank, and was sneeking out at night to steal the cat's food they left on the porch. he was trying to find his way home after the snow storm and the neighbors dog chased him over here to me, where i cleaned him up and had him waiting for mom when she got home.
I know i got lucky, or came to the right conclusion with the wrong methods. iwas hoping a more experienced horary astrologer could give me their quick opinion to get me on the right track. i am a firm believer in the proper application of astrological rules and don't want to rely on fleeting intuition. thanks.

My thoughts

Hello, E., I have just drawn your chart, so I have to study it a little more, but some thoughts:

1 - the AC is conjuct Spica (aprox 23Lib50), normally a very good star: "If rising or culminating: Unbounded good fortune, happiness, ecclesiastical preferment, unexpected honor or advancement beyond native's hopes or capacity. (Robson)."

Mars, which is the dog (more on this later) is conjuct Antares, which is a malefic star but has a conotation of libertation of the imprisoned
taken from http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/alphabet1.htm

2 - Well, I used your data, in two different programs, astrodienst and TARA, and the 6th house doesn??t fall in Pisces, but in Aries ! (My AC is exactly what you told... 23Lib18).

http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?;btyp=2;mth=gw; hsy=5;zod=;add=18;add=20;fix=1; sday=5;smon=4;syr=2005;rs=;orbp=;cid=5jlfileGCKMUk-u1103259578;lang=;gm=a1;ast=&nhor=13&nho2=2

So the dog is represented by Mars, not Jupiter !

3 - Mars is in the 2nd house, so it is near your house, in your neighborhood (if it were in 3d house, the dog would be far away). The dog is near moon and venus, another sinal that it is near. But moon and venus are separating from it, dont know what this could mean, maybe its just saying "runaway dog"

4 Mars (dog) and venus (you) don?t connect, but the moon is tranlating mars to venus, so you will find it !

5 - Mars is in Sagistarius, regent of 3d house of cars, dont know if it is coincidence

If you look in Christian Astrology, you can find another clues like directions (NE, SW ?)

Bye, hope it helps (and that I didnt write anything stupid)
Yuzuru

Hi Karu*Star,

Using Regiomontanus houses, I would agree that Mars is the ruler of the pup. The 6th is 0 Aries 21 - but Aries none-the-less.

However 3rd rules the neighbour/hood not the 2nd. On the other hand the dog may be termed a 'personal possession' - therefore 2nd is also ruled by Mars and the co-ruler of the querent is always the Moon.

Was the dog missing for 8 days? Deb's rulership chapter for 2nd house talks about succeedent houses generally show the resources and support given to the preceding angle - in this case, Mars-Moon support to the 1st (querent).

With Mercury applying to the conjunction of Venus in the 3rd of communication, it shows the messenger (neighbour) bringing news to the querent (Venus) very soon after the question was asked.

Just some observations -

Sungem :)

Hi Yuzuru,

Estebon stated that he used whole-sign houses, so according to his method the 6th house would have Pisces on the cusp. I?ve never used whole sign houses for horary, I don?t know that I?d recommend it, but I think that if the query is a sincere one and the astrologer focuses on the chart and allows their intuition to be guided by it, it will respond according to their technique.

The Moon is a natural significator for straying beasts or missing pets; whichever house system we use the Moon is in the 3rd house showing the relevancy of neighbours. The Moon is also in its own face, so I would take that as an indication that the dog is not too far from home. The Moon separates from the conjunction of Mars and applies to the sextile of Jupiter, before making a final conjunction with Venus which is in mutual reception with Jupiter? that does seem to hold the promise of recovery, so I think the chart was read successfully. It?s very hard to comment further though Estebon, when you are using an approach that most other horary astrologers don?t use.

I must have missed this chart when it was posted earlier. I?m so pleased the dog was found safe and well. What a wonderful surprise for the dog?s owner when she got home that night.

Hi Deb,

Good to have you back on deck :D Hope you've had a good break.
whichever house system we use the Moon is in the 3rd house showing the relevancy of neighbours
Is this the 5 degree rule in operation? I've yet to get my head completely in tune to that so I missed it again. You actually read the body as being in the next house and ignore any reference to the one it appears to be in - is that right?

Hi Sungem,

Yes. If a planet is within 5 degrees of a house cusp, then traditionally its influence is attributed to that house. So even by Regiomontanus the Moon would be relevant to the third house, not the second, because it is only a couple of degrees away from the 3rd house cusp.

Regiomontanus

Hi Deb, thanx for the replying

Most of the rules I use for astrology are from William Lilly, of course with a lot of advices from you, John Frawley, etc :brows

I think that astrology, like magic in general has an "egregora" (don?t know the word in english) which means there are colective power in them, so you can use many methods and still reach truth, we don?t need "universal truth"... leave this to politics and economits !

But I think that, if you are using Lilly?s rules, you have to use Regiomontanus, because he only tested his rules on Reg... if you like Placidus, ok, but then you will have to invent you own rules, because the ones from Lilly will fall apart...

In my short experience, I think Regiomontanus is better even for Natal charts, but it is just my opinion :D

Bye, and keep up the wonderful website !
Ah, I would like to sugest an special edicion in missing persons horary astrology !
Yuzuru