Mark wrote:James wrote:
perhaps adb has it wrong.. regardless, i think it is safe to say astrologers are not like sheep.. not all of them have to adopt hypothetical planets and midpoints at the same time, or wait for the release of a book to be introduced to a technique they might find useful, especially if they have an ongoing interest in astrology.. the parallels with astrology today are interesting.. do i sign up and become a hellenistic astrologer and make sure i got all of it figured out and follow it all according to how it is supposed to be done, or do i improvise? some will take one approach and some the other, with lots doing a bit of both..
I was just showing a direct link to Ebertin in developing Cosmobiology looked unlikely. Krafft had adopted his own quite individual approach as early as the 1920s when he was still living in Switzerland. But I am sure he would have encountered many astrologers following the Hamburg School in Germany. Whether he applied any of their methods remains an open question.

German astrology in this period was quite diverse and there were many ideas around.

Mark
Funny thoug,that Wullf claims German astrology was decades behind

mark and others,

page 11 reinhold ebertins book (- Combination of Stellar Influences - cosi) under the heading 'What is Cosmobiology'?

..The word cosmobiology was coined by the Austrian physician Dr. Feerhow and was later used by the Swiss statistician K.E. Krafft to designate the branch of astrology working on scientific foundations and keyed to the natural sciences....

mark and others,

page 11 reinhold ebertins book (- Combination of Stellar Influences - cosi) under the heading 'What is Cosmobiology'?

..The word cosmobiology was coined by the Austrian physician Dr. Feerhow and was later used by the Swiss statistician K.E. Krafft to designate the branch of astrology working on scientific foundations and keyed to the natural sciences....
Hello James,

Nice bit of digging on that. Strange though as the term I have seen Krafft describe his astrology with was Astrobiology. But as I pointed out above it very similar sounding and maybe it can be translated either way.

It sounds like the term was originally used for a more empirical, research orientated approach to astrology in pre-war Germany. The quote I gave you from van Berkel certainly demonstrated that about Krafft. But I am still not entirely convinced we can assume from that that Krafft?s Astrobiology or Cosmbiology was synonymous in technique with what Ebertin later used the term for. His attitude may have been similar ie finding a scientific basis for astrology but his techniques may have been quite different.

I retain an open mind either way. But I think this will only be resolved when someone who reads French and/or German reports back here.

I know you would take particular satisfaction if it turns out Krafft was using midpoints!

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Amongst other things,Velhow draws your attention to the fact that just like the AC cusp is the middle of the house, the sunlight begins to show 1-2 hours before the actual rise,which may partly explain the ancient use of those houses.
He provides some exemples,like Hindemburg,whose chart has many planets in cardinal houses when one uses the Velhow system,namely a very strong conjunction in Libra in the 10th.

Or Mary Peary,born at 77 Lat north from the explorer Peary

Also this pair of twins
http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Twins,_Clough

and two German twins who amongst other things died by drowning
http://www.astrologie-chirologie.com/jo ... icksal.pdf

Hopefully Wolfgang,or any other native speaker will help

Hello astrocorreia

I too am interested in Vehlow's work and ideas. I discussed his house system over on the Indian forum a couple of years ago. I also found his works online which I think you have just started reading now too.

While he is a major figure in early 20th century German astrology like Krafft I do think it would make more sense to have a discussion on his astrological ideas on a separate thread and keep this one devoted to Krafft's prediction.

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Fri May 01, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Mark wrote:Hello astrocorreia

I too am interested in Vehlow's work and ideas. I discussed his house system over on the Indian forum a couple of years ago I also found his works online which I think you have just started reading now too.

While he is German like Krafft I do think it would make more sense to have a discussion on his astrological ideas on a separate thread and keep this one devoted to Krafft's prediction.

Mark
Good idea.Even better than whole sign houses the Vehlow system explains the Gauguelin effect after the angles.
Once again,thanks for thelink

astrocorreia wrote:
Good idea.Even better than whole sign houses the Vehlow system explains the Gauguelin effect after the angles. Once again,thanks for thelink
Yes. A point that I have noted on the forum before is that only three orhodox house systems-whole sign, Sripati and Vehlow-Raman can remotely, explan the apparent paradox of the prominence of planets well above the ASC in the Gauguelin research. Statistically, though it evens out between Vehlow-Raman and WSH.

But i do digress.....

Mark

Mark wrote: I retain an open mind either way. But I think this will only be resolved when someone who reads French and/or German reports back here.

I know you would take particular satisfaction if it turns out Krafft was using midpoints!
Mark
hi mark,

i keep an open mind on this too. i would be surprised if he didn't use midpoints at some point in his career.. whether it formed some of the basis for his prediction - we may never know as it might not have been articulated in any book..

here is an interesting translated link which among other things points out krafft making a connection with uranus and aries..

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl ... rev=search

i thought i would toss this out as well..

i was looking at the solar return for 1939 (back when i looked at the solar eclipse data).. much of the solar return data strongly supports the prediction krafft made..

whether solar returns were something krafft was using, i would be especially curious as well..

post a picture

Thanks James,

I am initially very struck by SR Uranus on his natal ASC ruler Venus and his natal Mars.

Also that powerful SR Mars (lord 7) exalted in Capricorn on the natal nodal axis. The Moon in the SR chart is in the radix 8th on the fixed star Algol. Is starting a world war 'losing your head'? Seems quite apt here!

Mark

thanks mark,

yes, all of that and the connection to algol i hadn't thought of too!

i also note the ascendant at 13 scorpio exactly square natal saturn, while sr saturn is fairly closely conjunction the descendant in the natal.. the sr chart puts a real emphasis on saturn and mars to an extent by being square/opposite the angles. i would include sr mars on the natal south node as a part of this as well..

i tend to think the use of nodal axis was something krafft would have included. in wittes book on planetary pictures, aside from also including the use of the aries point, there seems to have been strong emphasis of the nodal axis.. by the time ebertin comes out with cosi, use of the aries point in the midpoint pictures is dropped, but midpoints including the nodal axis continue.. it is more conjecture on my part, but i think it likely the nodal axis data would have been examined and factored into any prediction..

James_m wrote:
yes, all of that and the connection to algol i hadn't thought of too! i also note the ascendant at 13 scorpio exactly square natal saturn, while sr saturn is fairly closely conjunction the descendant in the natal.. the sr chart puts a real emphasis on saturn and mars to an extent by being square/opposite the angles. i would include sr mars on the natal south node as a part of this as well..
Good points. This chart just gives and gives!

In the SR chart an exalted Venus (his natal ASC ruler) is trine the radix MC. SR Jupiter is dignified in Pisces and also trine the natal MC.

i tend to think the use of nodal axis was something krafft would have included. in wittes book on planetary pictures, aside from also including the use of the aries point, there seems to have been strong emphasis of the nodal axis.. by the time ebertin comes out with cosi, use of the aries point in the midpoint pictures is dropped, but midpoints including the nodal axis continue.. it is more conjecture on my part, but i think it likely the nodal axis data would have been examined and factored into any prediction..
Ok. I think its only fair to point out that orthodox astrologers long before The Hamburg school/Cosmobiology took a lot of interest in nodal connections too!

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Fri May 01, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.