Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Living up to the tradition of examining the chart for when the final kicks off in the Eurovision Song Contest, here is this years chart. The final is held in Vienna, Austria at 21.00 hrs CEST on May 23. 2015:
The odds for the top 15 according to a well-known betting company are as follows. But please note that the odds are due to continual changes;

1) Sweden 2,3:1
2) Italy 4,25:1
3) Australia 5,0:1
4) Finland 7,0:1
5) Estland 9,0:1
6) Azerbaijan 21:1
7) Slovenia 21:1
8) Russia 26:1
9) Norway 28:1
10) Spain 31:1
11) Iceland 41:1
12) Albania 51:1
13) United Kingdom 51:1
14) France 51:1
15) Belgium 67:1

The winner of the contest is decided by popular vote, and really the contest is a mixture of everything; music, artistics, cultural exchanges, human rights, politics and more. Looking at our Eurovision pick, these include Norway in 2009 - Fairytale (Rybak), Germany in 2010 - Satelite (Lena). Personally I missed Azerbaijan in 2011 - Running Scared (Ell-Nikki), but this entry was argued very well by another Skyscript member. In 2012 Sweden won with Euphoria/Loreen won as predicted. In 2013 I thought Norway had the best entry, but the Norwegian NRK didn't want to arrange the next years finals and the Eurovision voters decided they wanted to travel to Copenhagen instead. In 2014 the bet was on Concita who represented Austria. All these threads may be reviewed at Skyscript, which also shows how the group worked together in exchanging ideas.

This year my bet is with Australia. They participate as guests, and this is an unique event in Eurovision Song Contest history. Mars is on the descendant of the event chart. Are we set for an invasion? The Song 'Tonight Again' performed by Guy Sebastian might not have the depth that could be required by a world in crises, but he does have a catchy song the seizes the moment. And then he wants to do the whole thing again - a replay in the morrow. The clue would be the Moon's application by sextile to retrograde Mercury. I did also note that the Moon was in Leo in the same sign as Jupiter. This does give the Italian entry some candidature, but certainly not Sweden. Australia is ruled by Sagittarius (Bills). You should try relocating the chart for Canberra or Sydney, and you will see how the Moon/Jupiter application is located on the cusp of the 4th house and is angular in these charts.

This is my personal judgement and the topic is up for discussion. Welcome! :)
http://www.astronor.com

I would like to relate to an appearance in an expert panel on the Eurovision Song Contest for the NRK Radio in 2010. This was after the coverage of my early prediction of Norway winning the 2009 event with Alexander Rybak and 'Fairytale'. To put some testimony behind this prediction I had backed it with ?1000,- and of course afterwards there was a profit. One of the other guests wanted to know what I had spent the money on, and I said "Outside furniture". He said: "That was a silly thing to do, because it rained all Summer."

Coming towards the end of the show and picking the 2010 winner, everyone else seemed undecided, and I said I was going for Germany (Lena and 'Satelite'). The ending lines were as follows: "What are you going to do with the money if you get it right this time?"
"-Naw, this time I'll just spend it splashing around in the water...!" 8)

Germany did win and it did provide pocket money for the summer vacation.

Hey Andrew!

What about Esthonia? Both the title "Goodbye To Yesterday" and the fact that it's a duet could also point to Moon's application to Mercury Rx. Plus the title is more relevant to Moon in 8H.

Regards,

Georgia

Hi Georgia,
I am not getting 'Topic Reply Notifications' from Skyscript at the moment, I don't quite know what is happening, so if people don't find me responding to quesitons this is probably why. However, I will be popping by the Eurovision thread regularly, and it seems you only posted your question yesterday.

I do think you are thinking in the right terms. Look at the title or the lyrics and try to work out what it is telling you. I do think the the Moon applying to retrograde Mercury could reflect a song title 'Yesterday' (but someone's already used that... :( ) 'Goodbye to Yesterday' is a little bit back to front (Been there, done that!). Does it reflect moving backwards or forwards? Yesterday IS already gone. If we are focusing on the word 'Goodbye', how would be put that into the chart?

Re the Australian entry, which is a little superficial, I would like to add that it does seems to have a jumpy catch to it, which could be representative of Leo. If Australia does win, they do not get to arrange the competition next year, but they do win the right to participate again in next years contest. I found myself wondering who would hold the arrangement IF Australia won. Could Italy come as runners up and be awarded the arrangement in that manner? Because usually this is announced at the end of the show, or are we left in confusion with Mercury retrograde, as this matter is discussed by the organizing comittee? This should have thought out some plans or rules regarding this question, although maybe not. One possibility under these circumstances could be that the hosting of the 2016 event goes to Mars in Gemini, which could be London (Gemini) in England (Mars). We have to see how it all unfolds. This is what i like about the contest.

I think the UK entry has quite a bit of merit this year, but how far up it could climb I'm not sure. I just hope everyone is pleased. I did enjoy Bonnie Tyler's entry 'Believe in Me' in 2013, which ended no. 19, but it was a song that grows on you and deserved its place on an album. :)

Estland/Estonia seems to be climbing the lists at bookmakers. Italy is showing some strength, while Australia is slipping a bit. The current odds:

Sweden - 'Heroes': 2,75:1
Italy - 'Grande Amore': 3,75:1
Australia - 'Tonight Again': 7,5:1
Estland - 'Goodbye to Yesterday': 10:1
Finland - 'Aina Mun Pit??': 11:1

I do like Italy, and the Moon is in Leo, but there is nothing 'Amore' about the Moon's application to Mercury and/or Jupiter. I still don't think Sweden will win, but maybe there is something about the Moon in Leo applying to Mercury in his own sign Gemini, i.e. a form of pluralty, as suggested by Geo. I'm sticking with the Aussies!

Andrew Bevan wrote: If we are focusing on the word 'Goodbye', how would be put that into the chart?
:???: By a Moon changing signs, maybe?

It is always a pleasure learning from you, Andrew! I see your point. Still, I think Australia would have better chances had the Moon been applying to Jupiter, denoting expansion to foreign lands. But this is prohibited by Mercury Rx.

I wonder if we'd better look at it as a country rulership. Gemini and Leo seem to have both rulership over Italy, which fits the odds favouring the country.

regards

Georgia

Hi again Georgia,
Great suggestion regarding the Moon (or any other planet) leaving sign to indicate a Goodbye! Rearding the Italian entry 'Grand Amore' I would feel happier if the Moon were applying to Venus. Mercury is more a neuteral, however, you could have a good point re. the Leo/Gemini combination. I notice there is a mixed reception between Jupter and Venus; Jupiter is in Venus terms, and she in his exaltation. Yet, we have not seen how these combinations were significant in previous event charts. HOWEVER, the horary cast for the 1987 event did contain such an exchange of dignities: (Link).

Well, Andrew, I think I'll go for Belgium's entry after all, and I explain myself.

I believe the song's title "Rythm inside" as well as the country and the performer, all three have a connection to Gemini.

1. However Rx Mercury might be, he's the most dignified planet of all in the chart, plus receiving Moon's application. Moreover, this Mercury in Gemini is in applying conjuction to Mars, which turns into body Rythm, and, being Rx, this is retrospected/introspected, thus it is a "Rythm inside".

2. I am not aware under what planetary rulership Belgium is found, but it is one of the countries divided into two main lingual/administative regions, the Flemish and the Wallon, so in this sence, Gemini as a dual sign would be indicative.

3. The singer has Gemini looks, young and androgynous.

I wonder what you think of this speculation.

Best regards,

Georgia

I am not aware under what planetary rulership Belgium is found, but it is one of the countries divided into two main lingual/administative regions, the Flemish and the Wallon, so in this sence, Gemini as a dual sign would be indicative.
Lilly has the Flanders ruled by Gemini. For a reference of highest priority, go to Lilly. In everyday work I often find myself using Simmonite, which is fast and a Lilly-light, or with Rex E. Bills 'Rulership Book', which is very versatile and informative, but which unfortunately isn't very good on source and doesn't say where things are coming from. But neither does Lilly, for that case, but he is a reference of higher merit.

In Eurovision competitions I have seen some outsiders rise from about 19:1 into the leauge of favourites and compete for victory. I believe Azerbaijan's 2011 entry Running Scared was an example of this. But I haven't seen the winners come from anything beyond this. Often the favourite by odds appear to be a 'Hare' backed for marketing or propaganda purposes, but not always. When trying to pick the Eurovision winner, you should be willing to think a little bit crazy, a little bit Gay - and then consider the politics and where the Eurovision would like to party the following year.

In my opinion I think the Italian entry is incredibly powerful, strong and beautiful, yet I think it takes some time before it comes together and really gets going. Will this be enough? Also, consider that the last few years have contained several quality songs and artist, too, but they didn't quite reach the top because the entry isn't quite on terms with the Eurovision catch and fashion. So the Eurovision isn't only a song contest, there is more to it than that. IF Belgium did win at the odds of 67:1, this would be outstanding. You could consider using a bookmaker that offers an open market, meaning that you may buy at 67:1 (or higher) and sell the position with a profit at 10:1 or 5:1 if the song made it to the final rounds and was favoured.

You could consider using a bookmaker that offers an open market, meaning that you may buy at 67:1 (or higher) and sell the position with a profit at 10:1 or 5:1 if the song made it to the final rounds and was favoured.
:shock: I am a lousy bettor, Andrew

I have to admit this belgium idea doesn't have much chances, since the chart is not really favoring an underdog, and Belgium's entry is one.

As far as our previous posts' discussion is concerned, about what would make a chart saying "goodbye to yesterday", I wonder if Mercury's application to L4, Mars, could be such an indication.

As I said, I 'm a lousy bettor and internet betting is even more out of question. Still, if the official betting-stores offer eurovision bets, I'll put a small bet on Belgium and on Estonia.
If not, I will be just astro-betting :P

Hello Andrew
In everyday work I often find myself using Simmonite, which is fast and a Lilly-light, or with Rex E. Bills 'Rulership Book', which is very versatile and informative, but which unfortunately isn't very good on source and doesn't say where things are coming from. But neither does Lilly, for that case, but he is a reference of higher merit.
I highly recommend Lee Lehman's The Book of Rulerships. It is very much more focused on traditional rulerships as opposed to the more modern in the Rex Bills book. Each listing references a source and has an interesting section on where the various astrologers either agree or disagree on each listing.

astrogooner wrote:I highly recommend Lee Lehman's The Book of Rulerships. It is very much more focused on traditional rulerships as opposed to the more modern in the Rex Bills book. Each listing references a source and has an interesting section on where the various astrologers either agree or disagree on each listing.
Super! The next problem is decoding the chart and finding which way to turn. In my experience the significator by sign showed which way to lean, i.e. Mercury in Libra would either indicate Libra or Gemini, while Mercury in Taurus would either indicate Taurus or Virgo. Mercury in his own sign, i.e. Gemini, would either indicate Gemini or Leo, the latter because Mercury was sat on his own throne. Yet, with the signifcator retrograde the meaning was often inverted or described a person who was left-handed. And so with the other planets.

On occasions I saw how the almuten of the cusps (now talking in terms of nativities) take preference in a chart and accurately describe the signs of both spouses, children and more. Also, the significators in the exaltation degrees of the planets also may indicate sign or nationality involved, i.e. the significator in the exaltation degree of the Sun may show a person born under Leo, in addition to being a native of either Italy or France.

Do always remember the contribution and role of the gay movement in the Eurovision Song Contest. What a chart we have this year in that perspective; Moon in Leo applying to retrograde Mercury in Gemini!! (Mercury being a neutral, turning both ways and uni-sexual). So when trying to judge for a winner in the Eurovision always attempt to capture the emotion of the contest, and "Where do we want to Party next year?"

National and political inclinations, together with the custom politeness of neighbourhood relationships always turns up in the voting; We can be sure the Scandinavian countries will be generous and award points to one another. The same in other regions. Norway are likely to give votes to Poland, due to the fact that a lot of Polish people have taken residence in Norway over the recent years. One last factor is that songs from similar genre may capture and steal votes from one another. This may sometimes play to the advantage of a more original entry placed a little lower in the lists.