David Roell Article

Hi Folks

It's coming up on the anniversary of astrologer David Roell's passing, on July 27 of last year.

I'm preparing an article/remembrance about my colleague, friend (and sometimes foe).

In my 45 years of all things astrological, I'd never met an astrologer that was so original, prescient, old-fashioned, endearing, bigoted and infuriating. He once prompted me, via an email exchange, to throw a shoe at my monitor.

But I was probably one of his most loyal defenders. If you couldn't go toe-to-toe with David he was bored (by you) and would simply tell you. So I learned how to spar and learned a bunch of great astrology in the process as well as an array of fascinating theories, some of which I will highlight in the essay.

Tho, too, I won't pull punches; I don't think David would have it any other way.

In typical Roell fashion -- while going through our email exchanges yesterday, (of which I've a decade's worth) -- his last words to me were:

"For four entire days this past fall I happily thought of a next life in the Church, where I would bring back priest/nun sexual relations ... What do you think you will do in your next life? Never to early to plan!"

Do you have a favorite Dave anecdote or insight? If so, please share or email me via my website's EMAIL link: http://www.astroinquiry.com/contact/#jump.

Thank you very much,

FW
www.astroinquiry.com

Very much looking forward to your article - his passing prompted me to buy and read Skeet Shooting For Astrologers, loved it for all the reasons you say. Opens lots of new doors!
Graham

I never met or communicated with David Roell, but was very impressed by his biographical article on Liz Greene's early "Ph. D." from a now-defunct L. A. diploma mill. In the small world of high-stature professional astrologers, this was a courageous, transgressive article to write about the doyenne of modern psychological astrology.

BTW, Liz Greene does now have a legitimate Ph. D., from the University of Bristol (2010), but it is not in psychology.

Do you have a favorite Dave anecdote or insight?
I enjoyed reading the story of his edition of Christian Astrology. He attributed the ozone headache he got from mass-photocopying the pages from the facsimile to Lilly's somewhere alleged cursing of the book.
The story is told is in a thread in the site. If someone who reminds this could send a link, that would be nice.