Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Question on John Worsdale's Choice of Words.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Traditional (& Ancient) Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Question on John Worsdale's Choice of Words. Reply with quote

Over on this website:

http://far.orgfree.com

If you scroll down a bit you will come upon John Worsdale's First book, Genethliacal Astrology, (1798) not to be confused with the 1828 book of the same name. (NOTE: there are two pdf files associated with him on this row and one of them has nothing to do with him). I'm having a bit of difficulty with some of his phrases.

Worsdale, as ever, is talking about predicting death. I'm sort of working on the idea that the same technique can be used to predict other things with some accuracy. He says on page 113

Quote:
" ... those, who by reason of abundance of evil (in the chart - tc) must speedily perish. "

Well what about an abundance of good or middling testimony? That's for later. In his discussion of things to look out for he makes this statement on also on page 113

Quote:
"If one of the luminaries is angular, and that luminary is the giver of life, and one malefic is joined (conjunct - tc) or opposite or be distant in longitude partily (I believe he means a partile aspect) and according to the figure of equal sides none of the benefics aspecting. ...

What is the figure of equal sides?

Then on page 114 he states:

Quote:
And if they be not equilaterally configurated (sic), but the two malefics nearly irradiate the places of the luminaries, hurting either of the lights or both, whether the malefics be succeedent or opposite ..."

Worsdale apparently did not like to repeat the same words over and over for reasons of style, but the synonyms and/or metaphors he used as substitutes could be obtuse, and this is the sense I'm getting here. I'm guessing the second part of this sentence has to do with the malefics aspecting the lights, but "equilaterally configurated," and "irradiate the places of the luminaries" seems a bit over the top. Could these phrases simply mean "in aspect to" or "in hard aspect to?" Any thoughts on these phrases?

I know he used parallels of declination in his 1828 book, perhaps this is what he means. Anyone? Anyone?
Deb
Administrator

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he means parallels of declination here but uses the phrase "according to the figure of equal sides" to mean what we would call a Ptolemaic aspect, which is supposed to be able to inscribe s shape (aka 'figure') of equal sides within the circle o the zodiac-signs.
Tom

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. Thanks Deb.
toddcarnes

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Question on John Worsdale's Choice of Words. Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
(NOTE: there are two pdf files associated with him on this row and one of them has nothing to do with him).

Thank you for catching that, Tom. I shall correct it. Smile

By the way, I just added a link to another of Worsdale's works in which he makes predictions for an 1820 eclipse and discusses the Great Conjunction of 1821 - among other things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tom

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Todd. Worsdale, for all his crankiness and eccentricities, is an outstanding astrologer. Everything we can find out about him is a plus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Traditional (& Ancient) Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: