Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

an article about astrology in the magazine Sky&Telescope

View previous topic :: View next topic  
astroart

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: an article about astrology in the magazine Sky&Telescope Reply with quote

In the August issue of the popular American astronomical magazine Sky&Telescope, the Senior Editor of the magazine, Alan MacRobert, published in the section "Focal Point" intriguing article entitled "Why Astrology works". There he shares his version why astrology works in practice.
Deb
Administrator

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting - will try to get a copy as I'm curious to hear what he has to say.
astralwanderer

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Tidal Effects: The Planets vs. the Pebbles in Your Yard Reply with quote

Here is a link to a companion piece related to the August 2015 Focal Point column in Sky and Telescope by Alan MacRobert:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/sky-and-telescope-magazine/beyond-the-printed-page/tidal-effects-planets-pebbles-yard_20150512/

I don't think there's anything new here.

I'd be interested to read the original article however.

Plato, Timaeus, 90.
spock

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tidal Effects: The Planets vs. the Pebbles in Your Yard Reply with quote

astralwanderer wrote:
Here is a link to a companion piece related to the August 2015 Focal Point column in Sky and Telescope by Alan MacRobert:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/sky-and-telescope-magazine/beyond-the-printed-page/tidal-effects-planets-pebbles-yard_20150512/

I don't think there's anything new here.

I'd be interested to read the original article however.
All you have to do is go to their site, buy a digital copy of that issue, and download it. I just read the Focal Point article the OP referred to and, as I suspected, the title was tongue in cheek and the article was dismissive of astrology. Not that I expected the editor of an astronomy magazine not only to be an adherent of astrology, but to advertise that fact in its pages. If you picture the title as Why Astrology "Works" you'll get a sense of where he's coming from. His point is that any random reading, like the comic strip wrappers for Bazooka Joe bubble gum, or an astrological reading, will cause you to "see things from an outside perspective" and can lead to insights about yourself or about situations you're involved in. The astrology reading or Bazooka Joe comic strip used as a reading doesn't have to be objectively valid or true to accomplish that, and he doesn't think either is. In the companion piece referenced above he follows up by explaining why it's actually not possible for the planets to affect us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Philosophy & Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: